Opinion Unpopular Opinion: Naitanui is a better ruck than Cox

Remove this Banner Ad

It amazing people tend to forget and can only see what is in front of them

Post above is spot on

We love both but I would take Cox over Nicnat...

Cox can regularly mark which nicnat struggles with
Cox can play out the whole game which Nicnat can not which effect's selection of other players
Cox skills off both feet....his ability to kick to the forwards was sublime
Cox can play forward and back and take the saving mark ..plus when defenders are looking to kick it down the line....Cox would provide that outlet..
Cox was an extra midfielder... he ran rucks off there legs
Nicnat has Cox for HO and HO to advantage...,but coxie was no slouch in this area...his tapwork to Cuz Kerr and Judd was awesome

I love Nicnat but Coxie is better

Well said, ole utensil

What the F is with Nics gut btw. Can’t they limit his intake and burn that off. He’s looking like a weekend warrior plus additional weight on his knees can’t be good for him.

I must admit I did forget about Gardiner.
My only memory of him is boxing on against freo and a forgettable finals appearance.

Based on durability, running power and dare I say it marks and goals I’d take Cox over Nic or Gardy

No question, Cox is our greatest ever ruckman of all time, and probably the best since Polly Farmer.

However, it will probably remain understated just how good Gardiner was. He started to change the position in the late 90s/early to mid-00s. He ran out of "lives" with us, hence him being traded at the end of 06, but had he been disciplined, he would've rucked with Coxy in 06 and that's scary to imagine what side we would've been with him in it.

No question, Cox is our greatest ever ruckman of all time, and probably the best since Polly Farmer.

However, it will probably remain understated just how good Gardiner was. He started to change the position in the late 90s/early to mid-00s. He ran out of "lives" with us, hence him being traded at the end of 06, but had he been disciplined, he would've rucked with Coxy in 06 and that's scary to imagine what side we would've been with him in it.

He was pretty handy at the Saints when he got up and running.

They should be scouring the planet for someone approximating his athleticism and temperament and keep Nic on as a ruck coach to mentor this apprentice.
Nic Nat is the best ruckman the game has ever seen - period.

100%
I for one agree with you. Nic Nat it is for me. Most impactful ruckman in the game.

I feel like I should bump this thread following the end of our 2021 season.
I think that this season has been far and away Naitanui's most complete and impactful season.
He ended the season as the no. 1 rated player in the AFL.
He was also ranked no. 1 in the competition for HOs to advantage, hard ball gets and score launches.
He will end up ranked fourth for total clearances and just out of the top 10 for contested possessions.

Out of all the rucks in the AFL he was ranked no 1 for HOs to advantage (by a large margin), HO to advantage rate (by some margin), clearances (by a huge margin), hardball gets (far ahead), goal assists, score launches, contested possessions, inside 50s and bounces.
He was also ranked no 2 for pressure acts, ground ball gets, total hit outs, score involvements and 3rd for tackles and metres gained.
He was actually pretty decent in contested marking as well (despite the criticism) and ranked 10th of the top 25 rucks.

In total he averaged 31.2 HOs, 12.3 HOs to advantage, 7.2 clearances, 15.2 disposals, 12.4 contested possessions, 4 score launches, 0.95 contested marks, 0.5 goal assists, 13.4 pressure acts, 3 tackles, and 211 metres gained per game. Basically the only thing missing from his game this season was goals.

He will be our B&F very comfortably and he should get another AA guernsey.
I don't know what else he could've done this year to emphasize his impact as the elite ruck of the competition.

Sadly he is all thats right with our team and all thats wrong…
Certainly the best game I have seen him play live( living in qld the last 8 years will do that) but the poor guy has to do everything. Win the tap, get the ground ball, get the clearance, tackle… sad he has missed his chance sith us for a flag

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sadly he is all thats right with our team and all thats wrong…
Certainly the best game I have seen him play live( living in qld the last 8 years will do that) but the poor guy has to do everything. Win the tap, get the ground ball, get the clearance, tackle… sad he has missed his chance sith us for a flag

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back