Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_Phill

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Juventus
I was disappointed to read during the week that the Eagles have opted to return home during the 2 game stint over SA.

Given the amount of travel we do, why the he'll wouldn't we set up camp for a week!

Freo have, Bulldogs have gone on a 2 week extended trip over SA and WA

Go back to Covid and how we handled the hub, I've come to the conclusion that mentally we are very soft and something I feel I call the club alot since 18.

Even with gifting 30 year old with 2 years contracts or the inability to make the call on a player like Gaff.

In the late 90s and early 00s, we were seen as tough. Moving on Woosha and others

The clubs has been a very strong club since inception but I feel we've lost a bit of that over the past 3 or so years

Thoughts?

Personally don't have a problem with them going home and can understand most would rather be with family and sleep in their own beds, hotel living gets old really quickly IMO and I think normal routine is better for them.
Obviously pros and cons but I'm really not to fussed.

Last edited:
Dunno how preferring to be at home with your family vs staying in Adelaide for a week can be perceived as soft, yet here we are.

Simmo highlighted the fact that a lot of the players have young families and that Adelaide is the shortest trip in footy for WCE, so they opted to go back home this time. 6 day break also.

Said if it were somewhere further away, they may opt to stay the week next time.

Personally don't have a problem with them going home and can understand most would rather be with family and sleep in their own beds, hotel living gets old really quickly IMO and I think normal routine is better for them.
Obviously pros and cons but I'm really not to fussed they went home.
Im not overly fussed either. But this would have only been 10 days or so.

It seems a bit pointless for the club to request back to back adelaide games, then opt to not stay between matches.

Maybe the club has bad memories of the hub.

Dunno how preferring to be at home with your family vs staying in Adelaide for a week can be perceived as soft, yet here we are.

Simmo highlighted the fact that a lot of the players have young families and that Adelaide is the shortest trip in footy for WCE, so they opted to go back home this time. 6 day break also.

Said if it were somewhere further away, they may opt to stay the week next time.
Mate, people do it alot tougher in order to raise a family. These men are paid very well and don't have your standard 8 to 5 job, or work shift work or work 6 days a week or FIFO for that matter.

This whole bullshit, our group having younger families. I have 2 young kids and work 50 to 60 hours a week to provide for them. It's a sacrifice I make for them

Mate, people do it alot tougher in order to raise a family. These men are paid very well and don't have your standard 8 to 5 job, or work shift work or work 6 days a week or FIFO for that matter.

This whole bullshit, our group having younger families. I have 2 young kids and work 50 to 60 hours a week to provide for them. It's a sacrifice I make for them
Agree mate. I was in a similar position. We had to do what we had to do for a few years and now i no longer need to work away, just do 40hrs a week.

Don’t understand the argument that they’re well paid and other people do it tougher therefore…

Some people relocate themselves for months if not years on end away from family. Doesn’t mean I’m going to finish at work and lock myself in a cupboard for the weekend in solidarity with them.

If they want to come back and everyone’s on board then so what, do it. Less than a non issue.

The Covid hubs stuff in a non starter. We were one of a few clubs who were the canary down the mine shaft for hubs, with no guidance and no indication of how long we’d be staying for. They’re entitled to ask some questions. I find the venn diagram of people who complain about things being too soft nowadays and people who still complain about a hub from four seasons ago when everyone else has moved on to be pretty much a circle.

Feels a little silly to fly back. You instantly lose 2days for recovery/training.

A lot of people at my work (me included travel for work and have a young family). Tens of thousands of west aussies do FIFO and manage to go a week away.

To me it definitely feels as though we've gone too far in to the whole family first side of things.
If we were winning you'd say they're onto something but if there's one thing we've done very little it's win football games post the 2018 era. So the first year of friends, family, flags worked but since then it's been pretty disappointing.

In an industry where the one overwhelming KPI of wins is easy to measure let's see how we go this week and next. If we get a couple of Ws then the club made the right call

Just because other people do it tougher, doesn't mean they have to, no?

Why should they 'do it tough', simply because other people have harder lives?

This makes zero sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is someone who chooses not to miss 40% of their kids childhood and forgoes the new Landcruiser an McMansion softer or tougher than someone who does choose that option?

Discuss.
I did 20+ years in hospitality, slogging away doing 60+hr weeks. Always working weekends, sometimes doing 15-18 hour days.

During Covid, I career changed into IT.

I now work from home, barely do a 38 hour week and get paid more than I ever did in hospitality.

Am I tough, or am I soft, because I chose to earn more money whilst working a cushy job?

Feels a little silly to fly back. You instantly lose 2days for recovery/training.

A lot of people at my work (me included travel for work and have a young family). Tens of thousands of west aussies do FIFO and manage to go a week away.

To me it definitely feels as though we've gone too far in to the whole family first side of things.
If we were winning you'd say they're onto something but if there's one thing we've done very little it's win football games post the 2018 era. So the first year of friends, family, flags worked but since then it's been pretty disappointing.

In an industry where the one overwhelming KPI of wins is easy to measure let's see how we go this week and next. If we get a couple of Ws then the club made the right call
Could also be that we figured we have access to all our facilities & support staff back here and it's only a 3.5 hour flight so not losing too much coming back. If it had been in Queensland we may have stayed over there for the week given the extra flight time

I would agree that the team seems a bit soft. Just not because of their travel arrangements - I can't see how that matters at all.

They already do more travel than any other team in the comp so the lure of a boys' week away just wouldn't be there like it might be for some of the other teams who don't have to travel much.

Could also be that we figured we have access to all our facilities & support staff back here and it's only a 3.5 hour flight so not losing too much coming back. If it had been in Queensland we may have stayed over there for the week given the extra flight time
Simmo alluded to staying the week if it was in another state.

If you don't sleep in the office Monday through Thursday you're soft imo
105797039-1552679350641gettyimages-1130598318.jpeg

T
I did 20+ years in hospitality, slogging away doing 60+hr weeks. Always working weekends, sometimes doing 15-18 hour days.

During Covid, I career changed into IT.

I now work from home, barely do a 38 hour week and get paid more than I ever did in hospitality.

Am I tough, or am I soft, because I chose to earn more money whilst working a cushy job?
Question is why didnt you make.the switch sooner?

Soft for not wanting to stay in Adelaide a few extra days? Not quite 'Nic Nat has underachieved' but on that side of the bad takes ledger. It's a 2.5 hour flight with a 1.5 hour time difference, the boys can come home, see family, kids, have their normal routine and the club isn't paying for hotels.

If it were Sydney or Brisbane, maybe, because those extra couple of hours start to cut into the day but you're talking the equivalent of driving from Perth to Busselton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back