Unpopular Opinions (Wrestling Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I prefer the original heel Goldust

Fair call, but not sure it could really work today, because a lot of the "mind games" played on outdated/meatheaded stereotypes (heterosexual males' fear of homosexuals/homosexuality). Not sure how it could really be presented these days without coming across as dated or genuinely offensive (portraying homosexuality as predatory and sinister).

I guess that's why it's "Unpopular Opinions" though!

Fair call, but not sure it could really work today, because a lot of the "mind games" played on outdated/meatheaded stereotypes (heterosexual males' fear of homosexuals/homosexuality). Not sure how it could really be presented these days without coming across as dated or genuinely offensive (portraying homosexuality as predatory and sinister).

I guess that's why it's "Unpopular Opinions" though!

Thankfully homosexuality can never be predatory and sinister.
Just the gimmick that no one gives a s**t about. For decades.

Prior to Vince's attempt at world domination most territories were profitable. The major competitors that did shoot themselves in the foot did so through inept management - WCW with Jim Herd the shining example. 10 years later with Vince Russo.

Wrestling as it was, that particular sport, is dead. It isn't coming back. They've revealed all their secrets, a whole generation genuinely thinks Vince invented everything, and since the crowd has seen everything been done 100 times now they can't be shocked.

Some of the best wrestling is happening at the moment I think. Granted companies like PWG, NJPW, Lucha Underground etc will never be as big as WWE in the US, but there does seem to be a real wrestling revival going on at the moment. Add NXT and other indys like ROH etc and I think there's never been better wrestling than there is at the moment accessible by anyone with an Internet connection

Some of the best wrestling is happening at the moment I think. Granted companies like PWG, NJPW, Lucha Underground etc will never be as big as WWE in the US, but there does seem to be a real wrestling revival going on at the moment. Add NXT and other indys like ROH etc and I think there's never been better wrestling than there is at the moment accessible by anyone with an Internet connection
The problem is anyone who is mildly over gets bought By WWE, and it kills the momentum of those indies and smaller companies

Even here in Australia, we have had several companies that began to become successful, only for the WWE to dangle the carrot in front of some stars to give them a "try out"

That try out doesn't seem like much, but for most of them they are forced to have certain time off to avoid injuries, and a cool off afterward that can take several months due to the sheer volume of candidates (this info is from somebody I know who went to try out - in the same year as WWE's Emma)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree with this, nothing epitomises professional wrestling more than a performer being able to connect to the audience in some meaningful way, and Ryback was never able to do that from what I saw.

He seemed very over from his debut until the time he was in the main event picture, from what I saw. Had plenty of people cheering him and wearing his merch. He was a total '80s musclehead cliche, but he played the role pretty well.

I never understand why someone's fanbase being made up primarily of women and children (eg. claimed frequently about Cena over the years, "the cheers are very high-pitched", etc.) is seen as a negative. Is it just adult males not wanting to feel insecure for also liking "that fake kid's stuff"? Is the money women and children (or their parents) bring in a different colour? I would think any time you connect with kids, it's a golden opportunity for more merchandise to be sold, which is a big part of what the business is about - making money.

I never understand why someone's fanbase being made up primarily of women and children (eg. claimed frequently about Cena over the years, "the cheers are very high-pitched", etc.) is seen as a negative. Is it just adult males not wanting to feel insecure for also liking "that fake kid's stuff"? Is the money women and children (or their parents) bring in a different colour? I would think any time you connect with kids, it's a golden opportunity for more merchandise to be sold, which is a big part of what the business is about - making money.
Because they are fleeting demographics so in other worlds they are unsustainable. But this is WWE and they eat everyone else so eh... different circumstances.

Last edited:
For me it's not the fact that kids like Cena, it's the fact that WWE decided that meant they had to treat Cena in a very particular way for a decade with very little variation to it.

Same with Star Wars fans complaining when movies aimed at children have childish characters like Jar Jar Binks.

I thought it was utterly ridiculous that the crowd was chanting "You deserve it!" at Bray Wyatt on SmackDown this week.

Not only has it not really been some long arduous journey for him in the business - he's 29 years old, has been in the business 8 years, all under the WWE main roster or developmental banner, and his father still works as a road agent for the WWE, and he was basically born into it given who his family is - but if he's meant to be a heel (which I understand he's always meant to have been), he's done a terrible job at conveying that, because nobody actually hates him.

I know we're in the "any reaction is a good reaction" era, and it's extremely hard for anyone to get genuine heel heat these days, but Bray Wyatt really doesn't seem to know how to get the crowd to dislike him.

Only if it's someone they like.
I think everyone, or at least everyone that is a legitimate chance of winning a title, is at least liked enough for a portion of the crowd to chant for them. Naomi got big chants.

Heels or face doesn't matter either now, as there's always large portions of the crowd that will cheer for heels.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back