A Section VAFA Premier 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VAFA are working on an under 23 competition and a few clubs have been involved. Whether it will get off the ground in time for this season or what it will look like, who knows?

But there are a few clubs who already run 3rds like an u/23 side and other clubs are interested due to players coming out of 19s who don’t want to play senior footy but want to play with their mates. Makes sense to keep them than lose them to the game

It is an absolute disgrace if this gets off the ground. Great way to kill off the district clubs. Way to keep the rich, rich and poor even poorer.
I feel sorry for the poor 22 year old who isn’t able to step outside his old boy school bubble. Does he still get his mum and dad to take to training Tuesday and Thursday? My god...

has there been any indication that the VAFA will be changing the rules to the new rules that the AFL has introduced?

Interesting. Would like to see the detail but is this being pitched as an option or an alternative to the 3rds comp? Very few clubs would have the capacity to run a standalone U23s team- Xavs and SKOBs definitely and St Bernards maybe.

And seriously to those players coming out of U19s (some of who are already 20) that allegedly don’t want to play against men – HTFU!
Some boys develop at a slower rate. I could see some of these young boys being thrown like a rag doll. If that happens week in week out you can see them not wanting to step on the field. By having an u23 comp it allows the small ones still to play and those at 20 to 22 not good enough to play reserves or seniors to still run around.

Another St Kevin’s A grade premiership player heading to the AFL in Ned Reeves, who will join Tom Jok on an AFL list.

When was the last time one community club had two players go to directly to the AFL in the one off season? Has it happened in the Ammos in recent years?

Another St Kevin’s A grade premiership player heading to the AFL in Ned Reeves, who will join Tom Jok on an AFL list.

When was the last time one community club had two players go to directly to the AFL in the one off season? Has it happened in the Ammos in recent years?

Good luck to the lad. But didn’t realise Box Hill Hawks were a community club.

VAFA are working on an under 23 competition and a few clubs have been involved. Whether it will get off the ground in time for this season or what it will look like, who knows?

But there are a few clubs who already run 3rds like an u/23 side and other clubs are interested due to players coming out of 19s who don’t want to play senior footy but want to play with their mates. Makes sense to keep them than lose them to the game

Good idea

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting. Would like to see the detail but is this being pitched as an option or an alternative to the 3rds comp? Very few clubs would have the capacity to run a standalone U23s team- Xavs and SKOBs definitely and St Bernards maybe.

And seriously to those players coming out of U19s (some of who are already 20) that allegedly don’t want to play against men – HTFU!

I think you may find you're being a tad harsh here and have mis-read the comment about not wanting to play seniors. From those I know, it has nothing to do about not wanting to play against men, and that argument doesn't actually stack up in current set-up as whilst their team will be full of younger guys, they can't control who runs out for the opposition, could be younger guys, could be older guys - who knows (it's not player driven to potentially create this new u/23 competition.)

My read on the comment is the players don't want the added seriousness that comes with senior (1's & 2's) footy. They just want a kick with mates, train once a week etc etc. Life doesn't have to be so serious folks, good to see so many still wanting to play the game.

My view on the potential U/23 comp...neither for or against it really. Always thought it odd to have SKOB v SKOB in the 3rds comp, which this would alleviate, but again speaking to those who play there is no love lost when the younger skob team play the older skob team.

I think you may find you're being a tad harsh here and have mis-read the comment about not wanting to play seniors. From those I know, it has nothing to do about not wanting to play against men, and that argument doesn't actually stack up in current set-up as whilst their team will be full of younger guys, they can't control who runs out for the opposition, could be younger guys, could be older guys - who knows (it's not player driven to potentially create this new u/23 competition.)

My read on the comment is the players don't want the added seriousness that comes with senior (1's & 2's) footy. They just want a kick with mates, train once a week etc etc. Life doesn't have to be so serious folks, good to see so many still wanting to play the game.

My view on the potential U/23 comp...neither for or against it really. Always thought it odd to have SKOB v SKOB in the 3rds comp, which this would alleviate, but again speaking to those who play there is no love lost when the younger skob team play the older skob team.

But wasnt the point of moving Old Xavs "red" or 23's or what ever you want to call them out of prem b 3rds so it would give an even chance for other clubs to win a premiership after they dominated prem & prem b 3rds? an u/23's grade would never be won by anyone bar ox, skob or maybe bernies.

But wasnt the point of moving Old Xavs "red" or 23's or what ever you want to call them out of prem b 3rds so it would give an even chance for other clubs to win a premiership after they dominated prem & prem b 3rds? an u/23's grade would never be won by anyone bar ox, skob or maybe bernies.

Yes I believe it was, but that wasn't the point in question nor the one I was making.

I don't know the reasoning for VAFA looking at a potential u/23's comp, if it is so Xavs/SKOB etc don't have teams playing each other, then they are responding to a problem they created themselves, as you noted. Come to think of it, the VAFA creating a problem themselves then trying to create something new to fix it doesn't sound too far off the mark...

FWIW - whilst I'm not involved in commitee/administration of a footy club, I can't imagine it's much fun coordinating so many bloody teams at the one club, must be some task getting all the required support staff and volunteers in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was just assessing the information as posted. And I’m not talking about the current set-up, rather the proposed set up.

And no issue with your comments about blokes wanting to have a kick in a relaxed setting. The VAFA were trendsetters in the promotion of social football decades ago with the Clubbies. It’s just that only 2 clubs problem have the capacity to support the proposial (if in fact it is a proposal). As such the concept of running a separate U23s comp remains a nonsense.

Was just assessing the information as posted. And I’m not talking about the current set-up, rather the proposed set up.

And no issue with your comments about blokes wanting to have a kick in a relaxed setting. The VAFA were trendsetters in the promotion of social football decades ago with the Clubbies. It’s just that only 2 clubs problem have the capacity to support the proposial (if in fact it is a proposal). As such the concept of running a separate U23s comp remains a nonsense.

Yeh fair call. Anyway, let's get back to the higher level of Premier. Any updates from any clubs as to who will run around in the seniors?

Good luck to the lad. But didn’t realise Box Hill Hawks were a community club.
As such the concept of running a separate U23s comp remains a nonsense.
How many games has ‘the kid’ played at Box Hill? A big fat zero, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your post.

In regards to the under 23 competition again, it’s your opinion, but to me makes common sense if a club has an under 19 team that the club can build depth at an under 23 age group over just two seasons.

It gives a club scope to build depth and numbers, instead of kids leaving and giving up footy. A no brainer for all clubs in the VAFA IMO.

Last edited:
How many games has ‘the kid’ played at Box Hill? A big fat zero, but don’t let the facts get in the way of your post.

In regards to the under 23 competition again, it’s your opinion, but to me makes common sense if a club has an under 19 team that the club can build depth at an under 23 age group over just two seasons.

It gives a club scope to build depth and numbers, instead of kids leaving and giving up footy. A no brainer for all clubs in the VAFA IMO.

Wow Doug. You sure are easy to hook. Just one line worth of burley was all it took this time.

Obviously great for SKOBs and the see another product of the school get drafted but my point was that he has been “in the system” (TAC, Vic Metro, VFL listed, young guns games) for a few years now while Jok was legitimately drafted by virtue of this VAFA performances. Would have thought that Kanakis would have been a genuine chance and he would no doubt qualify as a legitimate community club draftee.

Which club picked him up? Big fellas take a while to develop and his is certainly big…...real big. But whereas Jok tore this comp apart and looks a ready-made AFL player, from the 2 times I saw young Ned last year he looks like he has a way to go to reach that level just at the moment. Mind you blokes 6.11 – 7 foot who can run and catch it don’t grow on trees. Good luck to him. (Reminds me a bit of that 7 foot NSW country lad who rolled out for Xavs a few years back who got rookied to Essendon - Taglabui?)

So back to the original question. My fading memory would suggest that Uni Blues were the last VAFA club to achieve the feat with Ross Young (Carlton) and Dan Nicholson (Melbourne) drafted directly from the VAFA.

And re the U23’s. I was talking about a stand alone U23's competition, not how clubs with multiple teams choose to structure their 3rds. That is entirely a matter for them. In my view I honestly don’t believe it is viable to run an U23s competition if only 2 clubs have the capacity to support it.

Wow Doug. You sure are easy to hook. Just one line worth of burley was all it took this time.

Obviously great for SKOBs and the see another product of the school get drafted but my point was that he has been “in the system” (TAC, Vic Metro, VFL listed, young guns games) for a few years now while Jok was legitimately drafted by virtue of this VAFA performances. Would have thought that Kanakis would have been a genuine chance and he would no doubt qualify as a legitimate community club draftee.

Which club picked him up? Big fellas take a while to develop and his is certainly big…...real big. But whereas Jok tore this comp apart and looks a ready-made AFL player, from the 2 times I saw young Ned last year he looks like he has a way to go to reach that level just at the moment. Mind you blokes 6.11 – 7 foot who can run and catch it don’t grow on trees. Good luck to him. (Reminds me a bit of that 7 foot NSW country lad who rolled out for Xavs a few years back who got rookied to Essendon - Taglabui?)

So back to the original question. My fading memory would suggest that Uni Blues were the last VAFA club to achieve the feat with Ross Young (Carlton) and Dan Nicholson (Melbourne) drafted directly from the VAFA.

And re the U23’s. I was talking about a stand alone U23's competition, not how clubs with multiple teams choose to structure their 3rds. That is entirely a matter for them. In my view I honestly don’t believe it is viable to run an U23s competition if only 2 clubs have the capacity to support it.
Thanks for the answer regarding Uni Blues, they were two handy players, and Ross Young still is!

Regarding Ned, he played Young Guns off the back of his VAFA games, he has no other exposed form at senior level as he simply has only played seniors in the VAFA. It’s great for the competition, not just St Kevin’s.

bedford A club should be able to have five under 19 teams if it means kids will get off their arses each week instead of playing bloody PlayStation and X Box!

Incredible effort from Ned - good luck to him. Could never get over just how big he was every time I saw him play. Plenty of development left in him I'd say, hope he goes well.

Jimmyjack Agree on Kanakis, I would love to see what he could do at the top level.

Thanks for the answer regarding Uni Blues, they were two handy players, and Ross Young still is!

Regarding Ned, he played Young Guns off the back of his VAFA games, he has no other exposed form at senior level as he simply has only played seniors in the VAFA. It’s great for the competition, not just St Kevin’s.

bedford A club should be able to have five under 19 teams if it means kids will get off their arses each week instead of playing bloody PlayStation and X Box!
They can get off their arse at their local clubs , for those that have played through a junior club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back