VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have the prestidigitation skills of Passmore, so my match comments have to wait until I get back to a keyboard. In general, I thought it was a pretty good performance, given Sandy were a noticeably bigger side all over the ground (as you'd expect, with Zac Jones playing in the centre and Jake Carlisle at full back). The only exceptions were of course Tom Campbell (easily BOG for North) and No. 80, who is either Damian Monkhorst's love child, or the world's largest human refrigerator (and unfortunately, with about the same mobility)

With Campbell, he's not likely to be renewed at the end of the year, but if budget allows, give him a contract as the VFL captain - he's a colossus of the game at this level, and makes them all walk taller.

In terms of game plan, they are trying to replicate what Noble wants from the one - attack the corridor by hand or foot at every opportunity. The best passages of play were all running by hand or short kicks through the corridor - when it works, it's a picture; turnovers are going to be the problem in the learning phase. North were out of gas with 5 minutes left in the 3rd qtr, and that's when the scoreline blew out.

There are no VFL squad numbers, so I can't really make any sensible comment on the VFL squad, but of the Afl list:

Phillips; played a half, was busy, kicked a good goal - you'd think having played a quarter against Hawks, and then a half today, then it's his tank they are working on.

Will Walker; played mostly in the centre, and not particularly effective. I'm not a believer like some on here, but first hit out so can't be too harsh, but needs to work on his contested ball - eg, lost one contest in the back pocket in the second quarter that cost a goal

Spicer: played forward in the first half, on the wing in the second. Set phillips up for a goal, tackles (so doesn't mind the contest), and had a particularly dazzling run in the last quarter (and then kicked out of bounds looking for Ford - oh well)

McGuiness - played as advertised, as a forward. Had some moments marking in transition, but has a lot of work to do with his kicking - missed a set shot soda in the second quarter, and jinked nicely in the 3rd to give himself a shot on goal, and missed what he should have kicked. Hopefully not one of those blokes who's a nice field kick, only for it to go to fertiliser when it has to go through two white poles.

Ford - played with a busted snoze; had some moments in hand ball chains, but drifted out of it

Xerri - played a half; provided a contest in the ruck, and not much around the ground. Presumably will be better for the run

P. Walker - played HBF in the first, on a wing in the second; rangey type, neat kick - can he get enough of it?

Atu - played in the back pocket; lost a one on one to concede a goal in the second, but then won his share. Responsible for igniting the best play of the day with a run down the corridor in the second qtr, so I can answer Ricky's concerns about him being recruited as a small forward to then find himself in the backline - he can run and use it, so my take is that they are working on the game plan first, and worrying about small forwards later. Atu fits the bill nicely as a running back, and his defensive work got better as the game went on

Oh, just by the by, this was the first game I've been at where the zoning rule was in place - I think its two players from each side in the 50 at a stoppage (throw in, free kick) - I say "I think" because it was a dog's breakfast, the players had no more clue than me, and the umps were having to direct players where to go to comply

Thanks Merlin.

Good to hear that X and McGuinness got some miles in the legs.

McGuinness is a neat field kick so he may have been having an off day in front of goals. Hopefully he can make some big in roads this year.

really hope WW can take his game to another level. Still hold out hope he is an AFL player

I'm puzzled at Phillips' apparent lack of a tank (if that's the explanation for what's gone on with his playing time the last month). His biggest strength in U18's football was his ability to run all day, getting from contest to contest and linking up around the ground on the spread.

I'd love to hear why he didn't play against the Saints, only got a quarter against the Hawks and now only a half in the VFL.

I don't think there's some grand conspiracy, but it really doesn't add up.

I'm puzzled at Phillips' apparent lack of a tank (if that's the explanation for what's gone on with his playing time the last month). His biggest strength in U18's football was his ability to run all day, getting from contest to contest and linking up around the ground on the spread.

I'd love to hear why he didn't play against the Saints, only got a quarter against the Hawks and now only a half in the VFL.

Pretty sure there's been some talk that he's been managing a couple of niggles during pre-season.

I see it as injury management not tank per se

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thanks (can't say I noticed Flynn, but anyways) - where did you get the squad numbers? couldn't find 'em anywhere on the club site
Got them via a friend.

*Connor was listed but didn't play.

1616213092826.png

Last edited:
North Melbourne’s VFL side endured a tough practice match against Sandringham on Saturday morning, going down by 42 points at Arden St Oval.

Despite being down by just nine points at half time, Sandringham proved to be too strong for a young North group in the second half.

VFL coach Leigh Adams was impressed with his teams’ performance today, regardless of the outcome on the scoreboard.

“Sandringham played more players and had more rotations. Eventually, that’s going to catch you up,” Adams told North Media.

“I thought our ball pressure was really good for a longer period of time [this week] … we had some really good opportunities and moved the ball well at times.

“We’re not getting bang for our buck at the moment … we had about 20 shots on goal today and didn’t make the most of those chances.”

Rookie Will Phillips continued to increase his game time as he seeks match fitness going into the season, playing in the first half of today’s clash.

Adams says he was impressed by Phillips’ performance and believes there’s much more to come from the young midfielder.

“Today was a good step forward for Will,” he said.

“For him to come back and play a half after getting a quarter against Hawthorn … he was clean and really good in the contest.

“It’s a good experience for him to play against some good players like Zak Jones and Brad Crouch and he held his own.

“He’s still got some areas to work on but I thought he played really well to his strengths today.”

With a host of other AFL-listed players taking part in the game, Atu Bosenavulagi and Eddie Ford impressed, while Tom Campbell was an influential leader in the middle of the ground.

Phoenix Spicer managed to showcase some of his elite potential and speed, and Will Walker looked solid as he continues to increase his game load.

“(Bosenavulagi) defended really well … he was really clean around the contest today … and had nice bits of play with his offence,” Adams said.

“(Ford) got better as the game went on and that’s a credit to him … it was a good effort for him to break his nose and get back out there and compete.

“(Campbell’s) ability to win clearances, follow up and take marks was great. He was outstanding today.

“He’s been doing it for years in the VFL … he’s really been able to bring the group together and has been educating our young blokes.

Yep, Glenn’s boy.
My good almighty, I've seen Glenn Archer's boy play! Divinity has blessed me

And I even took a note of his number - screen shot of my phone notes attached

jackson played HBF, and the reason I took down his number is for some contested marking or effectively spoiling if he couldn't take the grab. If he's under age, Jackson Archer is a future league player

Attachments

• IMG_1132.PNG
    IMG_1132.PNG
    61.9 KB · Views: 197
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back