VFL VFL 2023 - [Rnd11 vs * - Sunday June 4 - 1:35pm @NEC Hangar]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a one way street - it's not only what the club has done to him, it's also what HE DOES.

Having been at the ground, one interpretation of Jacob's game is that he just doesn't want it - he took one mark in qtr 1 in a nice transition play, kicked a goal when it didn't matter, and otherwise (a) wandered around looking like he didn't know where to go, and (b) fell on his backside at a few centre bounces.

And it happens - all the time - kids take a look at the AFL environment and conclude they don't want to be in it.

That's the generous interpretation - the alternative is that he's just not at the standard

Then we need to be better at identifying these types of players.

See so many other players get the most out of themselves at other clubs, meanwhile we struggle to get the even consistent footy out of top 20 and top 40 draft picks.

It's not a one way street - it's not only what the club has done to him, it's also what HE DOES.

Having been at the ground, one interpretation of Jacob's game is that he just doesn't want it - he took one mark in qtr 1 in a nice transition play, kicked a goal when it didn't matter, and otherwise (a) wandered around looking like he didn't know where to go, and (b) fell on his backside at a few centre bounces.

And it happens - all the time - kids take a look at the AFL environment and conclude they don't want to be in it.

That's the generous interpretation - the alternative is that he's just not at the standard
Yeah I agree, you can't entirely blame development when a player is worse skilled than when he arrived. It doesn't make sense. You can't unteach a player skills.

Yeah I agree, you can't entirely blame development when a player is worse skilled than when he arrived. It doesn't make sense. You can't unteach a player skills.
I don't think I made a comment about his skills having changed - eg, he's still a nice kick - it's just he shows little appetite for the game.

There's a difference

He was. He showed heaps for Sandy and for school footy in the half a dozen games prior to the MSD. He was leaping over packs and clunking marks.

I have no idea what we’ve done to that prospect, because he doesn’t even get to contests let alone impact them. I don’t think I’ve seen him take a contested mark since he put our colours on.

Bit of an indictment on our development that he hasn’t even fired a shot.

Our development sucks. Plain and simple. Confusing the players and instilling zero confidence which makes it looks like they’ve gone backwards/lost skill etc. Play players to their strengths!!! Stop preaching versatility to 18/19 year olds who are trying ply their craft in the big league. Let them settle first! This was on Noble as he preached this nonsense from the outset. Edwards, Mahony, Taylor, Scott, LDU have all suffered.

Our development sucks. Plain and simple. Confusing the players and instilling zero confidence which makes it looks like they’ve gone backwards/lost skill etc. Play players to their strengths!!! Stop preaching versatility to 18/19 year olds who are trying ply their craft in the big league. Let them settle first! This was on Noble as he preached this nonsense from the outset. Edwards, Mahony, Taylor, Scott, LDU have all suffered.
What demand of versatility do you think has ruined Edwards?

Trying ruck or forward. Everything screams that he should have been focused as a forward with his marking and attack on the footy which is what made him a prospect. How can you go backwards from that? Playing ruck has killed that confidence in my opinion

Can’t say I’ve watched Edwards but it also doesn’t surprise me if he isn’t up to it. There’s no accountability with our picks. Who was that kid we gave 4 months on the list after the MSD? Either that’s an awful identification of talent, or it’s awful development coaching. Edwards not much better it seems, except he got more time.

what sort of environment are they walking into to not instantly desire hard work? Think of Richmond, Geelong even Pies now - they’ve got kids in who don’t seem outwardly as talented but * they play hard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying ruck or forward. Everything screams that he should have been focused as a forward with his marking and attack on the footy which is what made him a prospect. How can you go backwards from that? Playing ruck has killed that confidence in my opinion

Heaps of players in the Edwards mould play 2nd ruck. Why wouldn’t they?

To be fair he was thrown to the wolves as a primary ruck with little to no support around him last year. He was in a terrible VFL side being expected to compete with ex AFL and more mature rucks. Wouldn’t blame him if his confidence was completely broken last year.

Did Goater get injured? He looked good early. However, he only ended up with 4 disposals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yes in the first qtr. Hurt his knee.

To be fair he was thrown to the wolves as a primary ruck with little to no support around him last year. He was in a terrible VFL side being expected to compete with ex AFL and more mature rucks. Wouldn’t blame him if his confidence was completely broken last year.
Yes, that's fair, he spent a lot of time sitting on his backside at centre bounces last year.

But I was also interested in your earlier point that he was clunking marks in school football, which made me think people confused his physical advantage in height as an explanation for the pre-MSD hype. He's lost that advantage in senior football, as he has little physical presence either in the ruck or as KPF, and he doesn't get around the ground a lot - I saw some of his defensive chases early in the match, and he clearly has little or no tank.

If he's not going to be a power forward, he's got to be a gut busting runner working up and down the ground

Dislocated knee that popped back in. Possible mcl damage.
Frustrated Austin Powers GIF

Yes, that's fair, he spent a lot of time sitting on his backside at centre bounces last year.

But I was also interested in your earlier point that he was clunking marks in school football, which made me think people confused his physical advantage in height as an explanation for the pre-MSD hype. He's lost that advantage in senior football, as he has little physical presence either in the ruck or as KPF, and he doesn't get around the ground a lot - I saw some of his defensive chases early in the match, and he clearly has little or no tank.

If he's not going to be a power forward, he's got to be a gut busting runner working up and down the ground

That’s the part that has been so disappointing, in those NAB league and school games he was launching for marks from 2-3 deep and really impacting the contest. That desire and appetite seems to have gone. I’m not sure if it’s a mental thing or because he physically just can’t keep up and is gassed all the time.

Will be interesting to see if he gets another few years to develop or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back