VFL Game Day VFL Round 5: Essendon vs Geelong (116-55 win)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good team effort!
Midfield was great with bird and langers in particular! Draper was excellent in ruck with very nice tap work! Howlett was lively but wasteful in front of goals. Thought Morgan, Stanton and Gleeson were all very good down back. Hard to say how many touches they got as I was just watching particular players but for mine I thought langers was excellent today. 2 goals and also at least 2 assists! Lots of really nice work around stoppages also!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It sounds, from all accounts, like Draper was the story of the day. Sensational effort, made even better by having to respond and step up after Smack sustained a bad injury early.

He's a real prospect, that kid. Might be one of Jackets' most inspired finds yet.

It sounds, from all accounts, like Draper was the story of the day. Sensational effort, made even better by having to respond and step up after Smack sustained a bad injury early.

He's a real prospect, that kid. Might be one of Jackets' most inspired finds yet.
Don't think I saw him get a touch vs Frankston. What was so different? The conditions, the change of role?

Don't think I saw him get a touch vs Frankston. What was so different? The conditions, the change of role?
I don't think he touched the ball once against Port (at Frankston) or Sandringham. Looked quite lost at time also. Very surprised by this but good to hear.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

Apparently he was really good in the Werribee game where he was the main ruck as well so it seems like that that's definitely his calling.

With Bellchambers and McKernan in the side he really doesn't see a lot of time on the field at all, because even though McKernan is majority forward the coaches really like to chuck him into the guts if we're losing control of a game.

Thanks for the updates Killer Mike!
Would you be able to tell us how Francis, Langford, Bellchambers, Bird, Howlett and others went today?
Francis for lack of a better word was disappointing. Didn't get near it early when we needed a target down forward and then was anonymous for most of the day. Was trying to get fancy when it just wasn't required so tended to fumble it a bit. Really needs to get back to basics!

Langford I thought was in the best few on ground! If you want a Selwood type player thats under every pack then you are not going to get it and we may never see it. What does do though is all class. Kicked a couple in the second when all we had was Boyse providing a target and helped us get going. His hands were the best I've seen of him and was very clean below his knees and also with spotting handball targets to release the congestions. Also provided great marking around the ground and delivery into the forward line was excellent.

Bird would be close to BOG. Not sure how many clearances he had but would have been a lot. People like to point out what Bird can't do but what he can do he does very, very well! Guys like him can go unnoticed because they are getting their hands dirty under packs but today he also snuck forward a few times and finished with a couple of goals. Really good game!

Howlett was very lively all day around half forward. Had some very good opportunities to score but just didn't finish off. Kicked one but probably missed four or five gettable ones.

Draper as discussed was good.His tap work was very good and his opponent he had for the day had no answers. Draper was clearly jumping over him at centre bounces and was even throwing his weight around at throw ins! Should give him great confidence.

TBell I thought was pretty good. Kicked a few goals in the last when the game was over and had some nice contested marks around the ground. His tap work was also very good when it was his shot.

Any keen VFL watchers wanna give there opinion on Boyse ceilingz.
Francis for lack of a better word was disappointing. Didn't get near it early when we needed a target down forward and then was anonymous for most of the day. Was trying to get fancy when it just wasn't required so tended to fumble it a bit. Really needs to get back to basics!

Langford I thought was in the best few on ground! If you want a Selwood type player thats under every pack then you are not going to get it and we may never see it. What does do though is all class. Kicked a couple in the second when all we had was Boyse providing a target and helped us get going. His hands were the best I've seen of him and was very clean below his knees and also with spotting handball targets to release the congestions. Also provided great marking around the ground and delivery into the forward line was excellent.

Bird would be close to BOG. Not sure how many clearances he had but would have been a lot. People like to point out what Bird can't do but what he can do he does very, very well! Guys like him can go unnoticed because they are getting their hands dirty under packs but today he also snuck forward a few times and finished with a couple of goals. Really good game!

Howlett was very lively all day around half forward. Had some very good opportunities to score but just didn't finish off. Kicked one but probably missed four or five gettable ones.

Draper as discussed was good.His tap work was very good and his opponent he had for the day had no answers. Draper was clearly jumping over him at centre bounces and was even throwing his weight around at throw ins! Should give him great confidence.

TBell I thought was pretty good. Kicked a few goals in the last when the game was over and had some nice contested marks around the ground. His tap work was also very good when it was his shot.

What are your thoughts on Boyse mate? I haven't been able to follow the VFL as much as I'd like to this season. Is VFL his ceiling?

Any keen VFL watchers wanna give there opinion on Boyse ceilingz.

What are your thoughts on Boyse mate? I haven't been able to follow the VFL as much as I'd like to this season. Is VFL his ceiling?

I really like him but I think he might not have enough tricks to make it at the next level.

He's very sharp on the lead, has nice hands, and really attacks the ball which is what you want from a forward.

What my concern would be though is his size. At the next level his pace, height and size would all be factors because most defenders have all of those attributes.

To make it I think he would need to develop another skill set so he can add variety to his game. Based on what I have seen of him he reminds me a little of Tory Dickson so their is an opportunity if he keeps playing well this season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will be interesting to have a look at the stat sheet when it becomes available as it should read as a demolition job (with us having about 150% of the possession of Geelong). Earlier in the game Geelong was quite efficient going forward and we were the opposite which accounts for scores in the first half. Two or three late goals in the second quarter probably broke the game apart (it was not as close as the scoreboard indicated).

It was a pretty even performance without any standout who gave the impression of having dominated the contest at least from my perspective. In my view the best players were the ones who were important when the game was in the balance. Bird was good, Boyce really good (though he seemed to have an injury for the last quarter), Ferry was a rock in defence, McNiece a bit of a general, Howlett was busy in the first half and Langford and Gleeson were good around the ball and added some poise and class.

In summary no one really screamed "pick me" on the back of a performance so I would not get carried away with any of the reviews of any of the players (at least in terms of being a selection for next week).

Draper is probably the most interesting thing to take from the day. He started in defence and it looked as awkward as it sounds. When he did get his go in the ruck he served up some ball on a silver platter which re-affirmed the comments made previously about the quality of his ruck work. Have to concede, though, that his impact was mixed when he did ruck because we did lose control of the centre square for a while (even though he was probably getting his hand to the ball first). He gets around the ground well and took a few strong marks. He's got a ridiculously good build for a guy his size, age and with his mobility. I saw more than enough to be cautiously optimistic about Draper. He's probably 40 games from being a viable AFL selection but there is absolutely no rush.

Bellchambers was made to look ordinary by his opponent early in the match which resulted in an angry burst which looked really good (including some big marks) but it lasted maybe 10 minutes and then he did virtually nothing until late in the game when he was back to bossing marks and kicking junk-time goals (three in the last five minutes). His game will look okay on the stats sheet but short of Leuenberger getting hurt or playing an absolutely stinker that deserves punishment Bellchambers' game will not put Leuenberger under any pressure.

Langford looked sharp around the ball early but then faded out of the game for 20 minutes only to return to provide some of the usual "Langford moments" - plodding with the ball and getting caught and missing a couple of kicks he shouldn't miss. He did set up some scoring shots as a result of his vision and ability to hit some more difficult targets. Funnily enough, when he played forward and got the opportunity to lead at the ball, and work back into an opponent, he looked good.

Gleeson played on-ball in the first half and was moved back to his more customary role later in the game. He wasn't prolific but, as stated above, he used the ball well coming out of congestion on a few occasions. He was good in some marking contests later in the game.

Francis was non-existent. His lack of conditioning is almost comical. A few times he was in a marking contest and didn't even try to win the ground level ball (despite being the only Essendon player at said contest) because he was so gassd. He should not be allowed near the AFL side if that's what he is dishing up in the VFL.

Redman did a few nice things primarily as a half forward. I think I have figured out what I like about Redman and it is that he hits the ball at pace which, simple as it sounds, is quite a rare attribute. He uses the ball well, too. Maximum possession count would have been in the low teens. He will build on this sort of performance as he gets game time under his belt. He was switched to half back which is a move I like. He's 187cm, can run, is a neat kick and makes good decisions. While I like him as a forward he's a good chance of playing some footy at half back in the seniors if he can string some performances together.

Long started quietly and worked his way into the game but was ultimately disappointing. There were a few skill errors to go with some moments of class and some good contested work. It is very frustrating that he rarely finds the ball in space. He did go for a run today which seemed even to surprise Long. He started running in our defensive half and was going to give the ball off when it seemed to strike him "wait a second, I'm gas" and he simply cantered away from the Geelong player.

Morgan seems to read from the same play book as Long. He's never in space and if it wasn't for a highlights video and draft camp testing you'd have no idea that he is quick. He's put on a lot of weight and looks a completely different player, almost unrecognisable. He was clean, if unimaginative, with the ball and seemed to find himself in the right spots but that's probably all that can be said.

On the subject of Long and Morgan, I would like to know whether their run is wasted because it is a structural issue or whether it's a result of a lack of work rate. It is a common theme at both AFL and VFL level that our quick and skillful players rarely seem to be the guys on the outside of a possession chain who then get freed into space.

Not much to say about Begley. He was very quiet. His strength was on display on a few occasions and I think he kicked a goal or two.

Clarke is impressive in the flesh. He was standing next to Langford and it looked like he was three years older. Clarke might have played one of those games where he found quite a lot of inside ball to end up with 20 (I recall a few nice clean takes from congestion) or he might also have been as quiet as Begley. Took a courageous mark and totally shanked a kick into the forward 50 under no pressure having just taken a mark.

Of the VFL players the standouts were Boyce, Ferry and Marklew. Boyce gets around the ground nicely and to the right spots. His hands were excellent - all he needed for a time was a 50/50. Ferry was excellent in defence again and has added more counter-attacking play and some quality pack marking. I really liked Marklew's game, he was playing almost as a pseudo KPF at times and was really good in contested marking situations. His game has improved dramatically.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to have a look at the stat sheet when it becomes available as it should read as a demolition job (with us having about 150% of the possession of Geelong). Earlier in the game Geelong was quite efficient going forward and we were the opposite which accounts for scores in the first half. Two or three late goals in the second quarter probably broke the game apart (it was not as close as the scoreboard indicated).

It was a pretty even performance without any standout who gave the impression of having dominated the contest at least from my perspective. In my view the best players were the ones who were important when the game was in the balance. Bird was good, Boyce really good (though he seemed to have an injury for the last quarter), Ferry was a rock in defence, McNiece a bit of a general, Howlett was busy in the first half and Langford and Gleeson were good around the ball and added some poise and class.

In summary no one really screamed "pick me" on the back of a performance so I would not get carried away with any of the reviews of any of the players (at least in terms of being a selection for next week).

Draper is probably the most interesting thing to take from the day. He started in defence and it looked as awkward as it sounds. When he did get his go in the ruck he served up some ball on a silver platter which re-affirmed the comments made previously about the quality of his ruck work. Have to concede, though, that his impact was mixed when he did ruck because we did lose control of the centre square for a while (even though he was probably getting his hand to the ball first). He gets around the ground well and took a few strong marks. He's got a ridiculously good build for a guy his size, age and with his mobility. I saw more than enough to be cautiously optimistic about Draper. He's probably 40 games from being an potential AFL player but there is absolutely no rush.

Bellchambers was made to look ordinary by his opponent early in the match which resulted in an angry burst which looked really good (including some big marks) but it lasted maybe 10 minutes and then he did virtually nothing until late in the game when he was back to bossing marks and kicking junk-time goals (three in the last five minutes). His game will look okay on the stats sheet but short of Leuenberger getting hurt or playing an absolutely stinker that deserves punishment Bellchambers' game will not put Leuenberger under any pressure.

Langford looked sharp around the ball early but then faded out of the game for 20 minutes only to return to provide some of the usual "Langford moments" - plodding with the ball and getting caught and missing a couple of kicks he shouldn't miss. He did set up some scoring shots as a result of his vision and ability to hit some more difficult targets. Funnily enough, when he played forward and got the opportunity to lead at the ball, and work back into an opponent, he looked good.

Gleeson played on-ball in the first half and was moved back to his more customary role later in the game. He wasn't prolific but, as stated above, he used the ball well coming out of congestion on a few occasions. He was good in some marking contests later in the game.

Francis was non-existent. His lack of conditioning is almost comical. A few times he was in a marking contest and didn't even try to win the ground level ball (despite being the only Essendon player at said contest) because he was so gasses. He should not be allowed near the AFL side if that's what he is dishing up in the VFL.

Redman did a few nice things primarily as a half forward. I think I have figured out what I like about Redman and it is that he hits the ball at pace which, simple as it sounds, is quite a rare attribute. He uses the ball well, too. Maximum possession count would have been in the low teens. He will build on this sort of performance as he gets game time under his belt. He was switched to half back which is a move I like. He's 187cm, can run, is a neat kick and makes good decisions. While I like him as a forward he's a good chance of playing some footy at half back in the seniors if he can string some performances together.

Long started quietly and worked his way into the game but was ultimately disappointing. There were a few skill errors to go with some moments of class and some good contested work. It is very frustrating that he rarely finds the ball in space. He did go for a run today which seemed even to surprise Long. He started running in our defensive half and was going to give the ball off when it seemed to strike him "wait a second, I'm gas" and he just just cantered away from the Geelong player.

Morgan seems to read from the same play book as Long. He's never in space and if it wasn't for a highlights video and draft camp testing you'd have no idea that he is quick. He's put on a lot of weight and looks a completely different player, almost unrecognisable. He was clean, if unimaginative, with the ball and seemed to find himself in the right spots but that's probably all that can be said.

On the subject of Long and Morgan, I would like to know whether their run is wasted because it is a structural issue or whether it's a result of a lack of work rate. It is a common theme at both AFL and VFL level that our quick and skillful players rarely seem to be the guys on the outside of a possession chain who then get freed into space.

Not much to say about Begley. He was very quiet. His strength was on display on a few occasions and I think he kicked a goal or two.

Clarke is impressive in the flesh. He was standing next to Langford and it looked like he was three years older. Clarke might have played one of those games where he found quite a lot of inside ball to end up with 20 (I recall a few nice clean takes from congestion) or he might also have been as quiet as Begley. Took a courageous mark and totally shanked a kick into the forward 50 under no pressure having just taken a mark.

Of the VFL players the standouts were Boyce, Ferry and Marklew. Boyce gets around the ground nicely and to the right spots. His hands were excellent - all he needed for a time was a 50/50. Ferry was excellent in defence again and has added more counter-attacking play and some quality pack marking. I really liked Marklew's game, he was playing almost as a pseudo KPF at times and was really good in contested marking situations. His game has improved dramatically.
Great work Bruno! Good to have a summary with critique. I really hope that Franga and Langers aren't the type to sulk it up in the ressies because they are critical to our future.

Good win. Their kicking in general was woeful.

Bellchambers dominated the ruck early and then spent basically the rest of the day forward. Didn't rate his game at all honestly.

Stanton was okay. Kicking was off but I think he's a bona fide 2's player now.

Gleeson was tracking for best on before his corkie, absolutely brilliant early. Too good for this level.

Francis was disappointing. Lazy game and should be building that tank up.

Begley was solid. Has a good kick on him.

Merrett was good but had a few dumb moments

Bird did what Bird does. Got the ball inside but distributed it okay at best.

Morgan shut his man down and did a couple of nice things. Still yet to see his supposed speed in a game.

Redman was thrown around a lot which was frustrating. I'd have liked him in the midfield rotation

Langford was best on for me. Unlucky Green played a good game though.

Long was absolute gas. Stuff happened whenever he got near the ball. His best game for the year probably

Clarke got the ball but * me his kicking is woeful.

Draper was very impressive as an 18 year old. Crafty taps, but oddly did better against the genuine ruck (Abbott) than the secondary (Buzza)

Hocking looked really slow. His last year I think.

Howlett was good. Wasteful with the pill sometimes though.

McNiece. I really like this guy. Due to lack of height in defence he was playing on a bloke 20 cm taller than him yet still beat them and provided good run and carry from defence.

McKernan went off before I got there (* you Metro)

Of the VFL guys I really like Boyse, Hind and our 23rd man Marklew. They all have a few genuine AFL attributes and I want them.

Good win. Their kicking in general was woeful.

Bellchambers dominated the ruck early and then spent basically the rest of the day forward. Didn't rate his game at all honestly.

Stanton was okay. Kicking was off but I think he's a bona fide 2's player now.

Gleeson was tracking for best on before his corkie, absolutely brilliant early. Too good for this level.

Francis was disappointing. Lazy game and should be building that tank up.

Begley was solid. Has a good kick on him.

Merrett was good but had a few dumb moments

Bird did what Bird does. Got the ball inside but distributed it okay at best.

Morgan shut his man down and did a couple of nice things. Still yet to see his supposed speed in a game.

Redman was thrown around a lot which was frustrating. I'd have liked him in the midfield rotation

Langford was best on for me. Unlucky Green played a good game though.

Long was absolute gas. Stuff happened whenever he got near the ball. His best game for the year probably

Clarke got the ball but **** me his kicking is woeful.

Draper was very impressive as an 18 year old. Crafty taps, but oddly did better against the genuine ruck (Abbott) than the secondary (Buzza)

Hocking looked really slow. His last year I think.

Howlett was good. Wasteful with the pill sometimes though.

McNiece. I really like this guy. Due to lack of height in defence he was playing on a bloke 20 cm taller than him yet still beat them and provided good run and carry from defence.

McKernan went off before I got there (**** you Metro)

Of the VFL guys I really like Boyse, Hind and our 23rd man Marklew. They all have a few genuine AFL attributes and I want them.
Was Hocking tagging anyone? I'd like him to go back to that role exclusively just to see if he can build form again. I never bought the crap about tagging being dead in the game and you don't need to be overly quick to do the role. In form Hocking can read the play and stay ahead of the game that way.

Was Hocking tagging anyone? I'd like him to go back to that role exclusively just to see if he can build form again. I never bought the crap about tagging being dead in the game and you don't need to be overly quick to do the role. In form Hocking can read the play and stay ahead of the game that way.

Hocking was at half back for most of the game.

He really struggles the moment the ball is free of congestion and I doubt that he can run with anyone anymore.

He's been a warrior and a really effective player but he looks done unfortunately.

aid0AVH.png

lFNYET4.png

Hocking played on Selwood for the first half. From what i hear he kept him under control.
Selwood was more damaging after half time.
Selwood was on Langford's hip basically the entire match

Selwood was on Langford's hip basically the entire match
Really !!
So you are saying the players do not know who they are playing on and the spectators do ?

Really !!
So you are saying the players do not know who they are playing on and the spectators do ?
Whenever I saw a stoppage they were side by side. Then again, paid more attention to the stoppage set up in the second half so that might have been it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back