Society/Culture Violence in Society; Who is to blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

You do realise he said "people", right? Not just women.

I think that you may have missed the point of what the poster was saying?
Not just women, 'people' - parks not safe. When a senior police officer recommends that it better not to walk in a park to avoid violence doesn't seem to me to be a solution.

Even during daylight hours...
What does this say about our society when a senior police officer throws up the white flag on violence against women in this way?

Who's to blame?
The people doing it
Things could change a lot faster though, if people took their own safety seriously
It is becoming more common for people to go out into the world expecting everyone to be of a high moral standard
Quite simply, we have more naive people out there, meaning more easy targets for the aggressive

It is these people who make the job harder for our police.
Instead of protecting the people from criminals, they are spending half their time protecting people from themselves
Nah, just blame the people that walk out of their front door, going about their own business.
Ha, Ha, I assume that you are joking and looking for a reaction as you can't be serious.

Nah, just blame the people that walk out of their front door, going about their own business.
Ha, Ha, I assume that you are joking and looking for a reaction as you can't be serious.
Let me put it this way

You're walking down a gravel road
Cars shouldn't be travelling too fast, so you step onto the road without paying attention

A car then hits you

The car should have been going slower, but shock horror, it wasn't
But you could have minimised the impact by paying attention to your surroundings

This isn't saying you shouldn't cross the road, it's saying be careful!
That is no different to saying be careful in a very dangerous world, it's not saying the victim is in the wrong

I think the real point is that it isn't like men feel any safer walking in quiet areas in public alone and especially after dark. The advantage a man has is that any potential attacker has to make an assessment about who they will assault, and naturally they will pick those who look weaker. By and large they'll be women. It's not nothing to do with men versus women in general, but violently aggressive types picking off those they perceive as weak.

Let me put it this way

You're walking down a gravel road
Cars shouldn't be travelling too fast, so you step onto the road without paying attention

A car then hits you

The car should have been going slower, but shock horror, it wasn't
But you could have minimised the impact by paying attention to your surroundings

This isn't saying you shouldn't cross the road, it's saying be careful!
That is no different to saying be careful in a very dangerous world, it's not saying the victim is in the wrong

No so good example:
Kids playing in the park, walking home from school, people taking a walk in the park, group of teenagers coming out of a night club after a night out.
Should everyone stop doing any of those things?
Unlike many others on this board, I don't see it as a female/male thing.
I look at the thread title and as an 'oldie' believe that there has been an incredible increase in violence, as to who is to blame and why this is happening have no idea.
Australia is unlike America where violence may have been attributed in part to race or socioeconomic reasons.
Would rather read posters thoughts on why the increase and what can be done about it as people have a right to go for a walk and do normal things without fear of their safety.

I think the real point is that it isn't like men feel any safer walking in quiet areas in public alone and especially after dark. The advantage a man has is that any potential attacker has to make an assessment about who they will assault, and naturally they will pick those who look weaker. By and large they'll be women. It's not nothing to do with men versus women in general, but violently aggressive types picking off those they perceive as weak.
The bold is interesting, why are people like this? Are people with these issues not being picked up by law enforcement, medical practitioners?

No so good example:
Kids playing in the park, walking home from school, people taking a walk in the park, group of teenagers coming out of a night club after a night out.
I look at the thread title and as an 'oldie' believe that there has been an incredible increase in violence, as to who is to blame and why this is happening have no idea.
Australia is unlike America where violence may have been attributed in part to race or socioeconomic reasons.
Would rather read posters thoughts on why the increase and what can be done about it as people have a right to go for a walk and do normal things without fear of their safety.
I understand what you're saying, but you leave safety out

As a child, I was taught about stranger danger
It seems a very basic message taught when I was a child has disappeared

Again, the ATTACKER is to blame, but society as a whole needs to make their safety a priority

I understand what you're saying, but you leave safety out

As a child, I was taught about stranger danger
It seems a very basic message taught when I was a child has disappeared

Again, the ATTA
No so sure about that, first message I gave my daughter and grand-children, almost to the point that I may have overdone it.
I really think that the authorities are not picking up people with issues and referring for help.

Was in a library last week, and a young man bumped into me and I automatically said, 'sorry' even though I was just standing there (automatic response). Then he did it twice more, I just looked around and noticed that he was one of three other people who were out and about and it seemed that they were in the 'care' of another person. I didn't react as there didn't seem any malice and just as well as a librarian came to me and said that they came from a half way house that house people with emotional issues.

I believe that some people with issues may be released into the community too early (unlike this group) and without proper supervision/support.

That maybe the case in sexual attacks.

Homicide figures however suggest what you're theory is incorrect. Men are twice as likely to die from a homicide crime than women.

That maybe the case in sexual attacks.

Homicide figures however suggest what you're theory is incorrect. Men are twice as likely to die from a homicide crime than women.
Homicide takes many forms, very few homicides are random attacks.

No so good example:

This isn't actually correct, there was some article in just the last few months about the decline of violence in first world countries.

It's the media beat up which makes people think there's an axe murderer waiting behind every bush.

The bold is interesting, why are people like this? Are people with these issues not being picked up by law enforcement, medical practitioners?

An interesting cause for speculation, some nature (some people will have some hard wiring which makes them prone to higher levels of aggression), some nurture.

As far as screening, I'm not sure you can. Australia doesn't do wholesale in-depth analysis of each and every human being born or emmigrating here. That's even if we have the tools to identity those traits.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Homicide takes many forms, very few homicides are random attacks.

I'd beg to differ on that. The one punch campaign suggests it is not just a few, it's becoming rather common. Given most of such attacks are indeed random.

Because of community outrage.
Number of random assaults as a result of intoxicated people are lower than they were 30 years ago.

And yet people apparently feel more unsafe on the streets than ever before. Conspiracy theory abound!

This isn't actually correct, there was some article in just the last few months about the decline of violence in first world countries.

It's the media beat up which makes people think there's an axe murderer waiting behind every bush.
I thought that there Vic Police said was an increase in Victoria. Not relevant to other countries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back