Autopsy Vs Carl - Is it cricket season yet

Remove this Banner Ad

We are still playing Brad Scott's (and Shaw's) game plan.

Its in our DNA. For everyone who hates Noble this is what he is up against. He's trying to get the side to react quickly, find targets and move the ball effectively but ... we play the long down the line game as instinctively as teams like the Dogs and Lions played those games with attacking movement.

They don't hesitiate cos they are drilled to play a certain way. So are we - long down the line and build from contests.

When you're under pressure and stress you default to instincts, and those long down the line instincts have been trained into the side over a decade.

The younger guys are a bit better and we are seeing players trying to break that particular conditioning but it will take time and probably other players as well.
This is the opinion I've also come to over the last couple of weeks.

You can see it by comparing what the young players try to do who had limited exposure to Scott/Shaw compared to the newer players.

JHF, Curtis, Taylor, Greenwood (not young but new), Scott, Perez, Stevo, TT etc all look up trying to find the next target in the chain of possession, look to move it to the player in best position yada yada yada.

Then you have got the "older" players like Simpkin, McDonald (at times), Ziebell, LDU, Zurhaar, Turner that seem to be playing with a completely different set of notes. A lot of drawing contact that doesn't pay off for them, trying to move the ball via risky handball and chucking it on the boot when they don't have 4-5 seconds to stand there and think about it, usually resulting in a turnover.

The last 2 weeks has been the most glaringly obvious games that our team is playing from 2 different playbooks. And it's causing a lot of confusion and exposing a lot of weaknesses.

Which is of course a perfectly legitimate response. Personally I think that stating she is far and away the worst umpire in the system is criminally underrating the shitness of some of her male counterparts. She just stands out more.

Last night she dragged the other two down to her level. When I saw that she was rostered on to our game I knew we were about to see her undermine the gains made by women in the AFL system. What I hadn't considered is that other umpires must look at their roster and when they are scheduled to work alongside her, they must kiss their chances of finals football goodbye.

You can see it by comparing what the young players try to do who had limited exposure to Scott/Shaw compared to the newer players.

JHF, Curtis, Taylor, Greenwood (not young but new), Scott, Perez, Stevo, TT etc all look up trying to find the next target in the chain of possession, look to move it to the player in best position yada yada yada.

Then you have got the "older" players like Simpkin, McDonald (at times), Ziebell, LDU, Zurhaar, Turner that seem to be playing with a completely different set of notes. A lot of drawing contact that doesn't pay off for them, trying to move the ball via risky handball and chucking it on the boot when they don't have 4-5 seconds to stand there and think about it, usually resulting in a turnover.

The last 2 weeks has been the most glaringly obvious games that our team is playing from 2 different playbooks. And it's causing a lot of confusion and exposing a lot of weaknesses.

Yes this is not conjecture, this is fact. There may be a little more nuance around the entire game plan and not just with regard to when we have the ball. That's to say, the transition to defence is also subject to 2 different playbooks depending on whether each player has bought into what the current regime is trying to do.

Very astute analysis but to me Hugh Greenwood is like the ur-Brad Scott gameplan player. Reminds me of peak midfield Ziebell the way he hacks it forward.

POTY

LDU with 10 and goal playing as a centre square mid in the second Q.

Played as a HFF for the other 3/4.

Noble is a genius.

I just rewatched the third qrt.

This was unbelievably bad.

I love Thomas, but he’s not playing anywhere near his best and got his ass handed to him out of the centre time and time again. Meanwhile LDU is not getting near it on a half forward flank.

Lost us any chance to be near enough at 3/4 time.

Suspect the car park was still 100x better than the train situation. Could have walked home quicker!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Wouldn't know about the trains. Couldn't get from the north end of the ground to the station because of the bottleneck on the concourse. Ridiculous.

I think it's a little harsh to be pointing the finger at Eleni on the basis of gender. There are male umpires running around out there who are every bit as clueless as she is. The standard of umpiring across the board is poor. You were right that they lost control of the game at one point last night.
But it has nothing to do with why we are losing.
She is the worst out of a bad bunch, regardless of her gender. My point is that we are gifting her games at the highest level based on her gender, not her ability.

And 100% agree the umpiring did not impact the result, but it did impact the viewing experience and overall game as a spectacle.

You know when you have both North and Carlton supporters both agreeing how shithouse it was, that it’s really bad.

Car parking was so bad I actually ended up parking near King St. Long walk but it's so much better getting out.

Back on the match review, it's clear we lack confidence and often trouble ourselves into chasing. I also think we are mucking around with the midfield too much not having our most lively players in the center circle. It is good to experiment and rotate but when we place Greenwood in there (for defensive purposes), we lose the edge we have in terms of accountability and placing doubt in the Carlton mids. Greenwood should be playing forward or attend stoppages. Not in the middle.

We're throwing away our momentum by constantly changing things.

Also, we really like to go up against Carlton so that's a positive. Good stuff.

Carlton had the luxury of having a VFL backline defending their forwards.

Let's see how they go when we're veterans.

I just rewatched the third qrt.

This was unbelievably bad.

I love Thomas, but he’s not playing anywhere near his best and got his ass handed to him out of the centre time and time again. Meanwhile LDU is not getting near it on a half forward flank.

Lost us any chance to be near enough at 3/4 time.
Yep.

Bloke is either way out of his depth as a coach or a peanut? I really have to question those he has surrounded himself with, because why they aren’t advising him better around some of these choices, is perplexing.

Either way, as bad as we are as a playing list, the poor coaching is making it even worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is the most objective JHF post in the thread. The Carey 1994 parallel is also a very astute pick up. JHF, like Carey is frustrated with the team not being at his level of intensity and he is lifting his own to the point of aggression to fly the flag.

His captain and senior players around him need to help him to focus but they also need to show leadership in order to have influence.
I think you're asking too much for our senior players and captain to show any form of leadership whatsoever....

Nate7 how many campaigners did you box on with in your brief transit to Southern Cross station?

And did you make the pilgrimage to centrefold for early bird prices :stern look

She is the worst out of a bad bunch, regardless of her gender. My point is that we are gifting her games at the highest level based on her gender, not her ability.

And 100% agree the umpiring did not impact the result, but it did impact the viewing experience and overall game as a spectacle.

You know when you have both North and Carlton supporters both agreeing how shithouse it was, that it’s really bad.

This last bit is it for sure. I was talking to a Carlton supporter after her * up getting in the way of their ruck and it was unanimous - she's s**t.

Eleni four times didn't pay obvious marks. Two to McKay, one to Turner and another for a player I can't recall.
Who can forget her non mark to ben Brown that nearly won mark of the year.
There's a serious problem with her ability to judge what she's seeing.

Eleni four times didn't pay obvious marks. Two to McKay, one to Turner and another for a player I can't recall.
Who can forget her non mark to ben Brown that nearly won mark of the year.
There's a serious problem with her ability to judge what she's seeing.

The umps missed paying one to Zurhaar which was touch and go.

She was pinging blokes for HTB the instant they were tackled, even when they were able to hand-pass legitimately (Curtis for example). In the Brisbane game today and the Collingwood game, players were being spun the full 360, sometimes hand-passing and sometimes just pulling the ball in - play on or ball up. Eleni seems to make robot decisions - she calls frees that aren't there, then misses obvious ones. But she had two mates the other night who were no better.

And twice Harry McKay caught the ball after calls of touched. Despite being tackled each time the decision each time was to ball up. Last season a mic'ed up umpire explained to one of our guys (Taz I think) that he was sorry, but the rules are clear and he had to pay HTB against in exactly the same circumstances coz that's just how it is.

In every game this weekend there were players running unaccompanied through the 5m protected space without penalty (honestly, a blessing). Then just when you least expect it, some umpire suddenly realises they are meant to pay 50 for that! I'm sure I even saw a Western bloke run through the mark without being pinged - ump just called play on immediately.

It is time that the AFL used the technology that these times have enabled. Perhaps the Paramount / Channel 10 media deal will deliver an uplift - a video adviser who can help the poor bastards on the field make some better calls. You would not think it's necessary but by gosh it is needed due to the standard being delivered by these pillocks.

It is time that the AFL used the technology that these times have enabled. Perhaps the Paramount / Channel 10 media deal will deliver an uplift - a video adviser who can help the poor bastards on the field make some better calls. You would not think it's necessary but by gosh it is needed due to the standard being delivered by these pillocks.
Careful, Aleem Dar still manages to screw up decisions as the video review umpire.

Careful, Aleem Dar still manages to screw up decisions as the video review umpire.
That's a big problem. The AFL has The Edge or whatever it's called. They got a couple right today but I reckon they're on par with Ol' Mate Aleem in terms of their video reviews. Rock and Roll it, Again, Again........ Again. Decision on the board - Random selection.

Only 11 pages of autopsy
Is this half as many as 3-4 years ago
Have half our supporters lost hope and doing other things?
It’s getting that way when u can’t see light

Only 11 pages of autopsy
Is this half as many as 3-4 years ago
Have half our supporters lost hope and doing other things?
It’s getting that way when u can’t see light
Folks are taking it to specific threads more.

The threads for the coach and list manager have added a few pages each after recent games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back