Autopsy vs Richmond - Rd 7, 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

We've avoided bottoming out for the better part of five decades; something had to give eventually. It's going to be a tough couple of years as we transition this list.

We'll be back.

PS - Those going the "sack Shaws" call. Seriously?

Stop making me feel better. It doesn't help.

My two cents, pros and cons

Positives

Walker forward
McKay - not beaten (except by Goldy's man) but his next development is to take some marks in preference to spoiling on every occasion. Overall, looked at the level, must stay in
LMac - at least while he was tagging Martin
Taylor (again)
Senior players - Higgins, Tarrant, Goldy, Polec all gave professional performances

Things to work on

For the second time in a couple of weeks, the match committee picked a señior player coming back from injury without first going through some match practice. This is not the medical staff - they just declare a player fit, not for what team they play for. Maj, LDU etc are doing graduated programs, but that standard does not apply to others; when you're in trouble as a group, you have to batten down the hatches and apply the rules for everyone, and they aren't at the moment

Brown - I think he should be re-signed, and talk to the contrary is silly, but at the same time, a rebuilding teams needs standards. Brown should not have been selected, regardless of the limited range of options. Clarkson, esp. in his formative years, would not put up with this.

Mahony - needs a spell. Anybody who thinks we don't miss Kayne Turner is kidding themselves

Wood - invokes the old saying about insanity being repetition and expecting a different result. Hosie must play

Pittard as defensive forward - really?

Leadership and standards

The most decisive thing that can be done at the moment is for Shaw to stop being one of the boys, and start laying down the law
Liked and agreed with everything except Kane Turner

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

s**t skills and no confidence. You can’t fix this in the coaches box.

I liked Bonar down back, I thought he contested well. He has good depth on his kicks and seems to be able to cover ground well. Peeps saying send him to the midfield are forgetting - he’s never done much in the midfield beyond laying tackles.

McKay playing well is a big win for us. Good news is, he will gain a lot of experience this year playing seniors (trial by fire).

If we can finish the year with EVW playing games down back then we have moved forwards this year in our long term plan overhauling half the backline - which was needed.

It’s s**t that we lost but we got something out of this game. This was a better outcome for us than the dogs and Essendon games.

After a nights sleep I feel I have a little more clarity then I did last night and I wanted to highlight some of the coaching choices I liked...

I thought that throwing the magnets around was a great idea. Brown needed someone bigger and stronger than him who could pull down some marks.. we've been asking for it and so into the forward line goes Josh Walker. Did a great job given the circumstance..

Ball has been leaving F50 as soon as it enters due to lack of pressure.. Chuck Pittard in there to fill the void missing by Turner and Zurhaar, too bad the ball went in there once in the first quarter. Now you have one of Shaw's most trusted to give 100% effort stuck in the forward line with no impact.

Ball movement has been too stagnant - you could tell from the opening bounce that the boys were ready to take the game on. Higgins was moved to D50 to be our elite user off HB.

Last night in the presser he said 'we didn't have enough people rowing the boat'. It is music to my disco ears to the coach acknowledge that half our team need to pull their finger out.

McKay was good, really good. Played on Tom Lynch and I really noticed his impact all night. For his first full game of footy since Round 1 this year due to no reserves and his first game at AFL in what, over a season or more? I thought he played really well. Not all is lost.

Questions:

Where was the spread when we had the ball? Why was it that even when we had the ball we had noone to kick it too?

Who NEEDS to be dropped?? - I have seen claims for Brown (warranted) but I honestly think he can lift without out and I don't think its fair on Larkey to be thrown in first game back by himself.

Atley, JMac Polec all passengers last night.

Ziebull / Hayden OUT due to injuries - Wouldn't be surprised if Simpkin as well (and would prefer if there is question marks)

It has been said, our cupboard is bare. We've found some pretty great diamonds in the last 2 seasons in our youth but we are not getting as much as we thought we would from our money ball picks like Ahern.

It can only get better from here and that is the part that excites me.

Would love to see Murphy and Will Walker in next week with Larkey, LDU, Turner and Zurhaar.

We could have had Carey at his peak last night and we'd have still got belted.

Our list simply isn't good enough, especially with key injuries on top.

It's not all doom and gloom, we have plenty of exciting kids coming through and a big draft coming up.

If any year is to have a shocker it's this one as so compromised anyway.

Hit 2021 fit and young as priority, with a select key older group of true leaders as support, and work back up with a clear direction.

I don't think Chocco Williams is currently employed, Brady should get up him up there in a mentor type role, even as a short term plan.

spot on I was thinking choco Williams also, have Shaw report to him...Williams still has a lot to offer

We fought like crazy to avoid this after 2016. The most important man is Brady Rawlings. He'll have 2 good picks in a draft with minimal scouting access.

By the time we show signs of life, Shaw may be at the end of his first contract and may be on his last legs. May not be. Who knows.

That 'reset' bull s**t after 2017 was like trying to build a sky scraper in 20 feet of mud.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was done right then. They pulled out a 50 that hasn't been paid since Gary Ablett was running around in his first season for the Qld folly. Ridiculous.

And last night, the 50 that was paid cannot have been right. Dusty was not paid the free until he was held onto. The hold did not occur AFTER the free as it was the act that caused the free.
18.3 PREVENTING A PLAYER TAKING PART IN THE NEXT ACT OF PLAY
If a Player intentionally makes Prohibited Contact against an opposition Player who has disposed of the football for the purpose of preventing that Player from taking part in the next act of play, the field Umpire shall award a Free Kick and a Fifty Metre Penalty to that Player

Hi s brother would punch the campaigner out of you

Do people still think about him as the boogie man? Dude must be close to 50 now. Unless you’re referring to Johno?

Same list, not the same side.
Out:
Anderson
Cunnington
Ahern
Larkey
Thomas
Murphy
Zurhaar

In
Williams
Scott
Bonar
McKay
Wood
Mahony
Hayden

As others have pointed out, the one positive of our terrible injury list is it exposes how poor our list is over all.

That’s a positive?

Not that I'm endorsing Brad Scott, however under him, usually if we won the clearances and contested possessions we also won the match. Some of it comes down to the shocking skills of the players, but some of it must also be the gameplan/system. We won those indicators by a fair bit and got soundly spanked, not looking good from the coaches
No problem endorsing Brad Scott. He lost the plot a bit and became same old and tiring but he wasn’t a terrible coach.

I've just seen our injured 22. I suspected it was bad.

Last year when we were smashing into teams the following were playing:

Turner, Cunners, Thomas, Garner, Ziebell, Zurhaar and Anderson. I also thought Souv had a bit of mongrel too and didn't mind standing up.

So marking forwards not playing atm - Garner, Ziebell, Zurhaar, Thomas and Larkey. Really only Thomas hasnt been consistently injured and he is now.

Pressure forwards not playing atm - Turner, Thomas (based on last year), Zurhaar and Garner with Ziebell and Anderson in there at times adding forward pressure.

Midfielders with physical presence last year out of that group not playing atm - Ziebell, Cunnington, Anderson, you can add Thomas' pressure last year, Zurhaar's at times and both Garns and Turner got up the field and made then won contests as well.

When we had good movement thru the middle it relied on Cunners, Anderson, Ziebel's presence at times but also on the movement LDU and Thomas provided. As well as the Polecs and Higgos obviously but they are on their own a bit now.

People are saying Shaw is out of his depth but I think he is just out of our depth.

We have no one left.

If you don't think the seven players I mentioned plus LDU don't make a huge difference to everything we do on field you need to go back and watch some of last year's games, even the ones we lost. It's obvious how important they are.

We are missing over a third, nearly half actually, of our best side (okay including Jacobs who is done but he is still on the list and when fit in our best) and another four players who could still potentially be in the best side if they get a clear run at it - EVW, Maj, Ahern and the Phantom. (Not counting Perez or Comben in this group either but they could be good too.)

Go thru yesterday's side (leave Bonar and Hayden out of it tho, they get some slack cos they are young and learning) and imagine replacing those guys who didn't perform with better depth or players that push those missing into the depth category and that should give you a better picture of where we are at long term. Although of those players I mentioned Jacobs and possibly Garner will be gone.

I agree Ferball, but last night Richmond were missing Cotchin, Houli, Edwards, Lynch had one hand, Prestia, Astbury. Probably others.
Yes and they’re a multi year premiership team, you don’t win them by luck and comparing lists you’ll see why.. Have a look at J.Short, came in played his role, the fact that a 3rd stringer in the Richmond team would probably be our best rebounding defender speaks volumes of the state of our list.

Yes and they’re a multi year premiership team, you don’t win them by luck and comparing lists you’ll see why.. Have a look at J.Short, came in played his role, the fact that a 3rd stringer in the Richmond team would probably be our best rebounding defender speaks volumes of the state of our list.

Their style isn’t reliant on ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back