No Oppo Supporters WADA Megathread - talk about it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

They are employees. They will be paid.
Well they cant. And they cant be paid under their contracts because they breached their contracts (either explicit or implicit terms) because they have been found by CAS to have doped. The suggestion that these cheats get paid during their suspension is the equivalent of Lance Armstrong getting paid for the remainder of his contract with US Postal. The deal with Hird isn't relevant because Hird hasn't been the subject of a finding of CAS. The simple fact of the CAS decision is that the players are drug cheats. All the rest is their whining and gutless refusal to take responsibility for their actions. They are using the Shane Warne defence. My mum did it.

I'm waiting for Hird to sue Essendon.

Can't believe the AFL didn't turn on Essendon, it would have been so much simpler and better for the image of the game.
They had a then AFL Commissioner who is a fanatical Essendon supporter and well connected in Canberra. Its all about backroom deals and influence. Basically three clubs dominate the AFL - Collingwood, Hawthorn and Essendon. He once told me the worst day of his life was when the Swans under Tommy Hafey thrashed Essendon in Sydney. Hopefully last Tuesday is now his worst.

Well they cant. And they cant be paid under their contracts because they breached their contracts (either explicit or implicit terms) because they have been found by CAS to have doped. The suggestion that these cheats get paid during their suspension is the equivalent of Lance Armstrong getting paid for the remainder of his contract with US Postal. The deal with Hird isn't relevant because Hird hasn't been the subject of a finding of CAS. The simple fact of the CAS decision is that the players are drug cheats. All the rest is their whining and gutless refusal to take responsibility for their actions. They are using the Shane Warne defence. My mum did it.

Breach of contract gives Essendon and the AFL an option to cancel their contracts but it doesn't mean they will. I think they will continue paying them just as they did Dean Robinson to keep them in house. There's a lot of PR driven stuff happening like that we were innocent press conference that can continue if all of them remain under contract.

Breach of contract gives Essendon and the AFL an option to cancel their contracts but it doesn't mean they will. I think they will continue paying them just as they did Dean Robinson to keep them in house. There's a lot of PR driven stuff happening like that we were innocent press conference that can continue if all of them remain under contract.
I think what connolly is saying is that under the terms of WADA, neither the AFL nor Essebdon can make payments even if they want to. But I'm happy to corrected.

I'm waiting for Hird to sue Essendon.

Can't believe the AFL didn't turn on Essendon, it would have been so much simpler and better for the image of the game.
If it wasn't a big Melbourne club I reckon they would've, especially us.

LOL, the Shane Warne defence.

What about the players at other clubs or the ones who are now in the lower leagues?
You would think they cant be paid because they are unable to perform work because they are disqualified. I like the idea of whinger Watson getting paid to do promotional work. What a great idea. Get him along to the local school to talk to the kids about sport. Surely any "compensation" payments by Essendon is a sweetener to shut them up or a device to defeat the purpose of the ban. There is even a suggestion that the AFL chip in. Its the new COLA. Compensation of Lying A@@@@@@@@@!!

You would think they cant be paid because they are unable to perform work because they are disqualified. I like the idea of whinger Watson getting paid to do promotional work. What a great idea. Get him along to the local school to talk to the kids about sport. Surely any "compensation" payments by Essendon is a sweetener to shut them up or a device to defeat the purpose of the ban. There is even a suggestion that the AFL chip in. Its the new COLA. Compensation of Lying A@@@@@@@@@!!

We are going to have to accept that whatever the legal position is, that will be irrelevant to anything that actually happens.
The AFL clearly does not give a sh!t about anything other than making it look like there is nothing to see here.
This attitude might appease the drug cheating players but long term it will cost the AFL fans.

I think what connolly is saying is that under the terms of WADA, neither the AFL nor Essebdon can make payments even if they want to. But I'm happy to corrected.

I hope that is the case but suspect they will find a way. I note the welfare officer at one club can continue in his role but Mark McVeigh can't so that looks like a loophole.

I hope that is the case but suspect they will find a way. I note the welfare officer at one club can continue in his role but Mark McVeigh can't so that looks like a loophole.
Possibly working in a real job where people have to take responsibility for their wages may be an option. The transport industry looks attractive. Little can use his contacts at Toll and Kelty can use his influence as a Board member on Linfox to help out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's terrible what has happened to the players, but they are innocent.
I'm sorry I didn't do more, but it wasn't my responsibility.
Demetriou is a prick.
No worries streaming both. I like the "we are all innocent, we know we are innocent". Where's the paperwork *stick? How come the players say they don;t know what was injected? How can you know you are innocent when you don;t know what has been put in your body. What a complete and utter ******* campaigner.

Every time I watch or read anything from Hirds perspective its always the same thing.

We definitely didn't take anything banned followed by this is unfair on the players.
He is always asked If you don't know what you took how can you make that claim.
He avoids the question completely by saying if we don't know how can you claim that we did.
Swiftly followed by Dank and Robinson are to blame then Bomber Little and everyone else he can name who had any authority at Essendon.

Every time I watch or read anything from Hirds perspective its always the same thing.

We definitely didn't take anything banned followed by this is unfair on the players.
He is always asked If you don't know what you took how can you make that claim.
He avoids the question completely by saying if we don't know how can you claim that we did.
Swiftly followed by Dank and Robinson are to blame then Bomber Little and everyone else he can name who had any authority at Essendon.
Their first top up is Crowley. He didn't know what he took either. Its a farce

Mark McVeigh was actually switched to a role in the club he can perform.

Back on the topic of legal action, things are hotting up. From the Oz:
Mr Kelty has made his view known to senior figures at the AFL and Essendon that the game will need to find a substantial sum — between $10 million and $20 million — to redress the financial and reputational loss suffered by Essendon players.

The alternative, Mr Kelty has warned, is drawn out litigation that would potentially cost $50m.

The claims from each player will vary. The two-year bans will cost players on fixed salaries and former players working outside sport less than those who supplement their incomes with match payments and coaches barred from doing their jobs.

Prominent players will lose sponsorship and marketing income. Watson may have the unenviable task of putting a price on the loss of a Brownlow Medal.

Lawyers for the players will seek a meeting with Essendon’s insurers to determine the limit of their cover. If this figure is inadequate, the AFL may be added as a respondent to any claims.

Essendon gave its players false assurances about the substances that club sports scientist Stephen Dank planned to inject them with. The club has already pleaded guilty to criminal breaches of occupational health and safety laws for failing to provide its players with a safe workplace.

Civil claims for negligence are established on a lower standard of proof. As one lawyer involved in the case remarked: “It’s a lay down misere. Negligence will be admitted in due course.’’
I really, really hope the AFL lets Essendon burn. If they bail them out, I'm going to be pretty freaking annoyed, and i imagine the fans of other clubs will as well.

Back on the topic of legal action, things are hotting up. From the Oz:

I really, really hope the AFL lets Essendon burn. If they bail them out, I'm going to be pretty freaking annoyed, and i imagine the fans of other clubs will as well.

They will be bailed out.

Part of the VFL mafia - absolute zero chance of them being allowed to fold.

And personally I think they should be bailed out as long as every person involved from the club and the AFL in this saga receives a lifetime ban from the sport. Players should have gone for life as well to be clear for all their lies.

The club is merely a vehicle for people to project themselves on. Sure they collectively made some stupid choices but if they clear out the crap that club, like all of them, will have some decent people kicking around that just want to support black and red and do the right thing.

All clubs have idiots and thieves in them - gather more than 1 person (sometimes not even) and you will have a group containing a tool of some description.

The issue is for me they will be bailed out and people involved will still have standing in the sport from the club and in the AFL. That stinks and is repulsive.

They will be bailed out.

Part of the VFL mafia - absolute zero chance of them being allowed to fold.

And personally I think they should be bailed out as long as every person involved from the club and the AFL in this saga receives a lifetime ban from the sport. Players should have gone for life as well to be clear for all their lies.

The club is merely a vehicle for people to project themselves on. Sure they collectively made some stupid choices but if they clear out the crap that club, like all of them, will have some decent people kicking around that just want to support black and red and do the right thing.

All clubs have idiots and thieves in them - gather more than 1 person (sometimes not even) and you will have a group containing a tool of some description.

The issue is for me they will be bailed out and people involved will still have standing in the sport from the club and in the AFL. That stinks and is repulsive.

I think bailing them out is wrong but not bailing them out will be more expensive so it's the best of two bad choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back