WCE 2021 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard Karl Langdon talk about this Carlton fixture on the radio, saying they turned their back on half a mil. He then said when the time comes to split the dividend between the clubs it's rumoured the AFL are going to talk to the big wealthy clubs about slashing their share of the dividend to give more to the poor clubs - Carlton being one. I think if you turn your back on a cash injection due to special circumstances, the rich clubs have a right to say no.
Imagine missing out on two million dollars with no derby crowd, and then having to pay more than other clubs to prop up St Kilda and North Melbourne. 😬

Imagine missing out on two million dollars with no derby crowd, and then having to pay more than other clubs to prop up St Kilda and North Melbourne. 😬
According to one North fan, North Melbourne has protected the AFL from being bankrupt by playing games at docklands.

so the VFL planning to push our bye back a week and have us playing richmond off a 4 day break after travelling back from sydney ?
Your team and my team regardless of ladder position are destined to play sunday arvo home games in Perths Stadium.

I think it's fair that we move the Tigers game forward a week. Sure we will be missing players that might otherwise come back for us, but Richmond have sacrificed significantly this season as well. You may recall they had to to travel all the way to Marvel stadium one weekend, rather than the MCG. Everyone is making sacrifices.

well we did play them off a 4 day break last year as well...and had to travel to Brisbane

only caught the tail end of the sport news on nine so I could of mis heard

It's lazy reporting I think (hope).

They say 'moved forward a week' but mean 'moved forward a round'.

Would be crazy for us or Richmond to consider playing off 4/5 day breaks on a Thursday with the respective injury lists.

Surely a Saturday or Sunday fixture makes sense (whether they move another game to Thursday or not...)

It's lazy reporting I think (hope).

They say 'moved forward a week' but mean 'moved forward a round'.

Would be crazy for us or Richmond to consider playing off 4/5 day breaks on a Thursday with the respective injury lists.

Surely a Saturday or Sunday fixture makes sense (whether they move another game to Thursday or not...)

It would be moved to the Sunday.

It would be moved to the Sunday.

Where'd you hear this? I'm surprised they want to park a game that will get plenty of eyes on the Sunday arvo slot. Even Saturday night makes more sense.

Mightve answered it myself looking at the fixture. Freo with a rare Saturday home game. Maybe we push Freo to the Sunday slot? That would be good for a laugh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where'd you hear this? I'm surprised they want to park a game that will get plenty of eyes on the Sunday arvo slot. Even Saturday night makes more sense.

Mightve answered it myself looking at the fixture. Freo with a rare Saturday home game. Maybe we push Freo to the Sunday slot? That would be good for a laugh

Ryan Daniels posted it on his twitter.

The article states we would have to agree with it to go ahead

Why would the club agree to this with the amount of injuries we have atm ...this only suits richmond IMO

Because we are not bigger than the AFL and in the trying period of Covid after the rhetoric around us last year, we need to be seen as accommodating and flexible as well. Like it or not, we are judged differently to the Vics, and held to a different standard.

Because we are not bigger than the AFL and in the trying period of Covid after the rhetoric around us last year, we need to be seen as accommodating and flexible as well. Like it or not, we are judged differently to the Vics, and held to a different standard.

In all seriousness - what do we have to lose by pushing back and saying no, we want the game on a Sunday?

Screw us with the fixture, make us play off shorter breaks than others, travel more - we already do that.

More Sunday arvo slots - great, we actually tend to win those.

Nothing wrong with being supportive of the AFL (allowing the fixture to move forward) and looking after our own interests (provided we get at least a 6 day break into the game) at the same time.

In all seriousness - what do we have to lose by pushing back and saying no, we want the game on a Sunday?

Screw us with the fixture, make us play off shorter breaks than others, travel more - we already do that.

More Sunday arvo slots - great, we actually tend to win those.

Nothing wrong with being supportive of the AFL (allowing the fixture to move forward) and looking after our own interests (provided we get at least a 6 day break into the game) at the same time.

Tassie trips, Qld trips incl night games, NSW trips all rolled into one season and with short breaks. AFL can have their passive aggressive wins if they want to. I can assure you it simply won't come to that. We will tow the company line. I hope we use it for a little back room posturing, though.

What is the actual benefit for anyone to bring the game forward? Is the risk that Richmond wont be allowed back into Perth the only problem. Surely Richmond would rather fly home and then come back in 2 weeks for the West Coast game, surely West Coast would rather have the bye when they have planned to have the bye and surely the AFL don't save any money by saving on 2 flights but having to pay for Richmond to stay an extra week.

What is the actual benefit for anyone to bring the game forward? Is the risk that Richmond wont be allowed back into Perth the only problem. Surely Richmond would rather fly home and then come back in 2 weeks for the West Coast game, surely West Coast would rather have the bye when they have planned to have the bye and surely the AFL don't save any money by saving on 2 flights but having to pay for Richmond to stay an extra week.

Is that your preference as a Tiggers fan to have the team fly home from Perth on the 5th/6th and return to Perth on the 15th? Might have to fly in earlier, if WA even allow it, to isolate and test.

You haven't played us here since 2018 when we touched you up. We're now ripe for the picking with barely a squad to scratch together. Getting us early only cements your position to line up an undermanned Eagles outfit.

Is that your preference as a Tiggers fan to have the team fly home from Perth on the 5th/6th and return to Perth on the 15th? Might have to fly in earlier, if WA even allow it, to isolate and test.

You haven't played us here since 2018 when we touched you up. We're now ripe for the picking with barely a squad to scratch together. Getting us early only cements your position to line up an undermanned Eagles outfit.

TBH our top 4 hopes are probably long gone anyway so personally I don't really care when they play the game. I do see the benefit if we turn around our form and play really well tomorrow night, but that's probably unlikely.

I’m guessing that the WA government are saying Richmond won’t be allowed back if they go home to Victoria which is unnecessary harsh but consistent with how they’ve operated in the past.

So that would mean Richmond would then need to either stay in Perth after the Dreamtime game or go back to Sydney. Bringing the game forward would then enable your blokes to return to Melbourne a few days earlier

I’m sure your preference would be to go home after Saturday then comeback as scheduled but if that isn’t going to be approved by McGowan then the game should be brought forward as that’s a fairer outcome

I’m guessing that the WA government are saying Richmond won’t be allowed back if they go home to Victoria which is unnecessary harsh but consistent with how they’ve operated in the past.

So that would mean Richmond would then need to either stay in Perth after the Dreamtime game or go back to Sydney. Bringing the game forward would then enable your blokes to return to Melbourne a few days earlier

I’m sure your preference would be to go home after Saturday then comeback as scheduled but if that isn’t going to be approved by McGowan then the game should be brought forward as that’s a fairer outcome
I don't see how thats fairer for us given we're waiting for players to come back from injury. Not our fault or problem that victoria has had an outbreak or if mcgowan doesn't want to let them back in. They're here now so leave it up to them if they want to stay here or not, and if mcgowan has said they won't be allowed back in if they go back home then too bad.

I don't see how thats fairer for us given we're waiting for players to come back from injury. Not our fault or problem that victoria has had an outbreak or if mcgowan doesn't want to let them back in. They're here now so leave it up to them if they want to stay here or not, and if mcgowan has said they won't be allowed back in if they go back home then too bad.

The AFL will try and minimise the impact for each team though. By your logic the Carlton WCE game should stay in Melbourne, both teams can get into Melbourne fine and it's not Carltons fault or problem if McGowen doesn't let the Eagles return home after.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back