List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

In what world was he better today? Some of his turnovers and dropped marks were amateur level. There’s a reason why AFL player ratings gave him a 1.5 and Chesser an 8.
Being in the contest means he was better. Chesser doesn’t get to a contest to drop said mark which is the primary issue. Beyond that Edwards kicked a goal and did slightly more with it.

Both were terrible btw. Just that Edwards was more involved today

Being in the contest means he was better. Chesser doesn’t get to a contest to drop said mark which is the primary issue. Beyond that Edwards kicked a goal and did slightly more with it.

Both were terrible btw. Just that Edwards was more involved today
He didn’t do slightly more with it.

Edwards had TWO contested touches in his 17. He had 134m gained from 15 uncontested touches which is absolutely trash. He turned it once once in the middle of the ground with terrible skills and didn’t make the distance from 30m out.

Chesser had four contested and had 300m gained at a better disposal efficiency.

He didn’t do slightly more with it.

Edwards had TWO contested touches in his 17. He had 134m gained from 15 uncontested touches which is absolutely trash. He turned it once once in the middle of the ground with terrible skills and didn’t make the distance from 30m out.

Chesser had four contested and had 300m gained at a better disposal efficiency.
Both are playing outside so uncontested stats are a good thing, not a bad one. If you as a winger have too many contested possessions it means you are fumbling or you are out of position and well not playing your role

Chesser is a 100 percent barrel the ball forward kicker. Of course he will gain more metres…

He wasn’t anywhere near this bad. Both were whipping boys but let’s not pretend Shep was this bad as a player. That’s not true
As ghossen said above shep averaged only 13 possessions to chessers 11 possessions at the same point in their careers. If shepp did have 3 20+ games early it means he had game at the opposite end of the spectrum to average it out .

Chess has also been the sub both at the start or end of the games

Both are playing outside so uncontested stats are a good thing, not a bad one. If you as a winger have too many contested possessions it means you are fumbling or you are out of position and well not playing your role

Chesser is a 100 percent barrel the ball forward kicker. Of course he will gain more metres…
Well it’s unfortunate for edwards then that Chesser had twice the amount of metres gained and went at a better efficiency.

Sounds like edwards didn’t contribute anything other than turnovers and side ways ball movement.

As ghossen said above shep averaged only 13 possessions to chessers 11 possessions at the same point in their careers. If shepp did have 3 20+ games early it means he had game at the opposite end of the spectrum to average it out .

Chess has also been the sub both at the start or end of the games
They didn’t play the same role or positions at all. When Shepp played midfield early on though he got much more of the ball. Then he played as a stopper and started getting it less. Shepp is more your Brady Hough career trajectory

Well it’s unfortunate for edwards then that Chesser had twice the amount of metres gained and went at a better efficiency.

Sounds like edwards didn’t contribute anything other than turnovers and side ways ball movement.
Both were shithouse. Edwards just less. Let’s not talk there stats up as anything but crap and pretend either actually contributed to a AFL standard btw

Where is this rhetoric that we gift first rounders games coming from? Are people’s memories that short that they are forgetting Brander not being gifted games a few years back.

There’s no one knocking down for the wing position, Chesser is showing improvement and we aren’t going for wins. There is no better opportunity to give him time to develop.

His game today wasn’t necessarily good but it certainly wasn’t terrible. Used the ball well when he had it, we definitely torch him fairly often but also seem to be implementing a game plan of using the corridor as much as possible.

The one thing he needs to add to his game is following up his kicks and getting the handball receives from the hit ups to drive forward, nearly all the top wingers in the league are doing this which is where a lot of that possessions discrepancy will be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just really disappointing we didn’t have a good look at Chesser at CBAs today once Petch went down, missed a good opportunity to see what he can do on the inside. He’s probably averaged closer to half a game than a full game with all his time as the sub so his stats are made to look worse than they should. Comparing stats vs minutes player would be a better representation. He’s also playing a low possession running role most of the time.

Luke Edwards will be delisted at the end of this year. Chesser will not. Not much to argue about there I would have thought.

Just really disappointing we didn’t have a good look at Chesser at CBAs today once Petch went down, missed a good opportunity to see what he can do on the inside. He’s probably averaged closer to half a game than a full game with all his time as the sub so his stats are made to look worse than they should. Comparing stats vs minutes player would be a better representation. He’s also playing a low possession running role most of the time.

Luke Edwards will be delisted at the end of this year. Chesser will not. Not much to argue about there I would have thought.
Oh for sure but Chesser will probably be on that delist pile by next year or the one after unless a major major major change happens

Out of interest how many disposals are you expecting from an afl standard wingmen?
I think there is two aspects to it. Time on ground has to be high. I think best wingers will play that 90 percent game time . As a average over a season possession wise I think between 18-20 is a good aim nowadays, 6 or so marks too if that which is also important as it means you are providing that outlet

Ironically enough, Let’s say we picked up Sharp. I looked and he is averaging 18 possessions, 6 marks and 90 percent toke on ground. Thats really the bloke who should be on a wing for us this year. We dropped the ball on that one

Oh for sure but Chesser will probably be on that delist pile by next year or the one after unless a major major major change happens

I said it another thread a week ago and I'll say it again, at least we won't die wondering with this guy when it comes time to make a decision on his career. I would just keep playing him I guess 🤷‍♂️

I said it another thread a week ago and I'll say it again, at least we won't die wondering with this guy when it comes time to make a decision on his career. I would just keep playing him I guess 🤷‍♂️
I think it’s the way to go too. Doesn’t mean I’m going to lie to myself and pretend he is playing well and definitely going to make it though .

I want to see him play inside for good minutes and not this BS run away from the ball Masten role. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Buss wants to come home and the Dogs ask for Chesser in a swap for what most would consider two under achieving mid 1R picks.

Is CC definitely our new whipping boy now?

Anyway, I think it is fair to ask whether he would be in our first 22 if we had a fully fit line-up. I think it is also fair to say he hasn't yet had a breakout game that made the competition take notice. And - logically - fair to debate that given the body of evidence so far, whether this could be a bust especially given at the time there were plenty of other options at pick 14 we all were clamouring for and are now showing signs at their respective clubs.

I hope he shuts us all up with a BOG next weekend against Melbourne - but I'm not holding my breath. :huh:

Is CC definitely our new whipping boy now?

Anyway, I think it is fair to ask whether he would be in our first 22 if we had a fully fit line-up. I think it is also fair to say he hasn't yet had a breakout game that made the competition take notice. And - logically - fair to debate that given the body of evidence so far, whether this could be a bust especially given at the time there were plenty of other options at pick 14 we all were clamouring for and are now showing signs at their respective clubs.

I hope he shuts us all up with a BOG next weekend against Melbourne - but I'm not holding my breath. :huh:
Nah the whipping boy for CC is ROb for drafting him too early. It was a massive reach and unnecessary. Matthew Johnson had to be that pick really

Nah the whipping boy for CC is ROb for drafting him too early. It was a massive reach and unnecessary. Matthew Johnson had to be that pick really

Yeah I was thinking of Matt Johnson and Ben Hobbs when I made that comment. And I think they have overtaken Chesser, easily, so far. At least we know he (Chesser) will get a good run to see what he can do if only because there is no-one to replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back