List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there is two aspects to it. Time on ground has to be high. I think best wingers will play that 90 percent game time . As a average over a season possession wise I think between 18-20 is a good aim nowadays, 6 or so marks too if that which is also important as it means you are providing that outlet

Ironically enough, Let’s say we picked up Sharp. I looked and he is averaging 18 possessions, 6 marks and 90 percent toke on ground. Thats really the bloke who should be on a wing for us this year. We dropped the ball on that one
Sharp is also 2 years older, is probably the softest player in the competition and is a pretty poor kick. He also plays for a team that is notorious for overusing the footy compared to our boys who are last in the comp for disposals.

At the same age Chesser has better stats, just reckon there are some unrealistic expectations on a kid that is realistically in his second season.

Our game style is contested footy through the corridor, we are last in uncontested possessions by a fair margin, Chesser doesn’t have the opportunity for those cheap touches that a lot of other wingmen get because we don’t play that way in the slightest.

Last edited:
I’m just so sick of seeing Sheed and wish Simmo would play the kids.

No not those ones.
Yep. Culley and Hall should both come in this week let’s actually see what they can do. When are we going to get a better chance than in a development year when our available “senior” mids are shit anyway.

How a JDless forward line functions would be a good observation too if he gets a week off.

They didn’t play the same role or positions at all. When Shepp played midfield early on though he got much more of the ball. Then he played as a stopper and started getting it less. Shepp is more your Brady Hough career trajectory
Shepp showed far more promise at every stage of his career.

I can’t see Chesser making the grade. Another ROB fail.

I want to see him play inside for good minutes and not this BS run away from the ball Masten role. It would not surprise me in the slightest if Buss wants to come home and the Dogs ask for Chesser in a swap for what most would consider two under achieving mid 1R picks.
If that were true I’d take it and run as if a snake was chasing me.

Is CC definitely our new whipping boy now?

Anyway, I think it is fair to ask whether he would be in our first 22 if we had a fully fit line-up. I think it is also fair to say he hasn't yet had a breakout game that made the competition take notice. And - logically - fair to debate that given the body of evidence so far, whether this could be a bust especially given at the time there were plenty of other options at pick 14 we all were clamouring for and are now showing signs at their respective clubs.

I hope he shuts us all up with a BOG next weekend against Melbourne - but I'm not holding my breath. :huh:
You’ll die of asphyxiation.

Is CC definitely our new whipping boy now?

Anyway, I think it is fair to ask whether he would be in our first 22 if we had a fully fit line-up. I think it is also fair to say he hasn't yet had a breakout game that made the competition take notice. And - logically - fair to debate that given the body of evidence so far, whether this could be a bust especially given at the time there were plenty of other options at pick 14 we all were clamouring for and are now showing signs at their respective clubs.

I hope he shuts us all up with a BOG next weekend against Melbourne - but I'm not holding my breath. :huh:

People are very hard on Chesser while simultaneously inflating the value of players they would have preferred we took at that pick.

A reminder that Chesser is out performing both Hobbs and Johnson this season in player ratings, which is really the only metric we can objectively use to determine influence on games.

People are very hard on Chesser while simultaneously inflating the value of players they would have preferred we took at that pick.

A reminder that Chesser is out performing both Hobbs and Johnson this season in player ratings, which is really the only metric we can objectively use to determine influence on games.
Just wondering where you got this information.
Looking at the AFL site I found the following re ranking points for the 2024 season:
  • Hobbs 253.2
  • Johnson 161.5
  • Chesser 105.6
I think Chess is developing fine, but wondering if you could send me the link to where you got the player rating from in relation to your comments above.

Also, we traded back a couple of spots with Port, in exchange for a future second (did we take Burgiel?). Port took Sinn who has hardly played.

I think this was just a weak first round, some good talent early and then it dropped off.
Yep this was correct. Covid year, obviously meant that picking in the first round was a lot harder than other years.

But it does seem a weak draft at this stage.

In terms of Chess output. He isn't having a massive influence, but as has been stated, the wing role in our game style isn't conducive to high numbers and it is more suited to role players. Internally, it would be interesting to hear what the coaches think of his output, and hopefully he is tracking well in terms of his defensive running patterns etc.

Would love to see him have a couple of break out games this season - with higher numbers. One thing I have noticed this year compared to last, is his willingness to take on a tackle and try release a handball. As he gets stronger this will be a real strength.

Comparing players from past eras is really tough - aka shep in 2010 - 2012 to Chess in 2023 - 2024.

For one, the AFL as a whole has changed significantly in this time. Obviously game style has as well, not to mention they are playing in different roles etc. Not worth the conversation really.

Lets forget where he was drafted - as this is insignificant. This season again is a building block to the future. I hope that Campbell can maintain his spot in the side, get exposure to a few different roles in the back end (Half back/Inside mid) and then launch into next year with some confidence.

I wanted Johnson on draft night and like others was disappointed we overlooked him for Chesser who was relatively unknown (to me at least)

Was happy enough we took him once the dust settled and had high hopes for him. Still do

He’s being played in a difficult role that doesn’t guarantee high possession numbers and is taking time to learn.

Right now, Johnson is looking the better player but he is playing in a stronger midfield setup which helps.

I’d wager that if Chesser and Johnson were swapped on draft night we’d now be concerned about Johnson and wondering why we didn’t look at Chesser

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am a big fan of giving this kid an extended run in the 1's.

He is far from the player costing us performance.

The amount of times he found space yesterday only for our "wiser" heads to dump kick down the line was not on him.

Yeah there was a few times he was clearly open for the switch and ignored.

Just wondering where you got this information.
Looking at the AFL site I found the following re ranking points for the 2024 season:
  • Hobbs 253.2
  • Johnson 161.5
  • Chesser 105.6
I think Chess is developing fine, but wondering if you could send me the link to where you got the player rating from in relation to your comments above.

You can use the compare function to compare up to 4 players.

AFL player rating is the rating used by CD.

For 2024 Chesser has an average rating of 6.9, Hobbs 5.15 and Johnson 5.13.

I wanted Johnson on draft night and like others was disappointed we overlooked him for Chesser who was relatively unknown (to me at least)

Was happy enough we took him once the dust settled and had high hopes for him. Still do

He’s being played in a difficult role that doesn’t guarantee high possession numbers and is taking time to learn.

Right now, Johnson is looking the better player but he is playing in a stronger midfield setup which helps.

I’d wager that if Chesser and Johnson were swapped on draft night we’d now be concerned about Johnson and wondering why we didn’t look at Chesser

Until 2 weeks ago Freo supporters all wanted Johnson dropped and he was picking up 10-11 disposals playing some weird hybrid outside role and ended up getting subbed on and subbed off a few times.

This idea that Johnson is light years ahead of Chesser isn’t borne out in reality. It’s a fixation in certain peoples head who are looking for confirmation of previously held views.

Imagine if Venables had kept playing throughout the last 3-4 years…

Gee

He’d be a 100+ game player in his mid twenties now

We’ll never know whether he would’ve made it as a genuine AFL midfielder but he was quick and could use the ball well. Just needed to find the ball more regularly

Until 2 weeks ago Freo supporters all wanted Johnson dropped and he was picking up 10-11 disposals playing some weird hybrid outside role and ended up getting subbed on and subbed off a few times.

This idea that Johnson is light years ahead of Chesser isn’t borne out in reality. It’s a fixation in certain peoples head who are looking for confirmation of previously held views.

I don't think it's light years but surely it cannot be disputed that - based on what we've seen so far - that Johnson has had more of an impact overall. Same with Hobbs.

Imagine if Venables had kept playing throughout the last 3-4 years…

e

He'd be delisted well before then. What happened to him was terrible but as a player he was a bust.

As for Chesser, he's very good at being where the ball ain't. This narrative about him playing a difficult role, fat side wingman, is a bit of a cop out. But having said that I'd still keep playing him as there's a 5-10% chance he might produce good football in the future as opposed to Gaff who is 0%.

He'd be delisted well before then. What happened to him was terrible but as a player he was a bust.

As for Chesser, he's very good at being where the ball ain't. This narrative about him playing a difficult role, fat side wingman, is a bit of a cop out. But having said that I'd still keep playing him as there's a 5-10% chance he might produce good football in the future as opposed to Gaff who is 0%.
It's not a copout to say that we possess poor foot skills and often lack confidence to hit kicks that other teams wouldn't have issue with.

I also think if the gameplan is to become some high pressure game then there needs to be ways for the coaches to make the wingers relevant to the gameplan.

We haven't had a single player succeed in the winger role since Gaff, who also had his success in a different system.

I still think Gaff could find the ball more than Chesser as it's one of his remaining strengths, so Chesser can get better, but there are other reasons our wingers don't get many touches.

He's tracking ok without being great, showed some good skills by foot on the weekend.

Also, Venables played about 20 games, mostly as a HFF because he couldn't displace Shuey, Yeo, Redden or Gaff which is fair. Way too early to call him a bust.

but as a playa he is god-tier.

Unfortunately due to the state of our list and the relatively high draft selection spent we have heavily invested our future in Campbell. We've already got massive holes in our list where Venables and Brander selections should be. We desperately need a top end midfielder from this draft selection.

I don't think it's light years but surely it cannot be disputed that - based on what we've seen so far - that Johnson has had more of an impact overall. Same with Hobbs.
True, but both Hobbs & Johnson are still being used as subs occasionally in teams that accumulate in general high possessions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back