List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Are these the same north fans who told us that 3, 17 and 18 were fair and we’d be foolish not to take it as Harley would leave us anyway?
Every team has nuffy fans.

I don't want every Reid highlight for 15 years immediately followed by comments about North I guess. Joy doesn't need to come from creating negativity somewhere else.

I don't want every Reid highlight for 15 years immediately followed by comments about North I guess. Joy doesn't need to come from creating negativity somewhere else.

Mm, you're not wrong and I agree entirely that people shouldn't be stirring shit about it with them directly.

HOWEVER, I think it's reasonable to say that the AFL assistance rendered to them last year was the draft equivalent of matchfixing and that a) 2/3/scraps for Harley looks like a pretty good deal for North now, and b) we probably are right to be a little grumbly about diluted drafts especially when we're bottomed out.

So, for me at least, part of my gloating at North is that despite the fact they were gifted the assets to secure Harley, we still got him, and an indirect celebration of our succeeding despite the best efforts of AFL House.

I don't think we can assume North will be disappointed in the long run for not offering 2 and 3.

McKercher I think has shown plenty to expect him to be a great player.

And seriously, how can anyone have a dig at Zane Duursma and question how good he will be maybe 9 games into his career? He is playing forward in one of the worst teams ever seen as a teenager. And he has been OK.

Wouldn't trade Reid for anything, but North's main issue with how it went down is they way they used pick 3 on another mid-fwd. That was the dumb part.

I love Nick Daicos, one of my favourite non-Eagles, but he played a different role entirely to Reid in his first year.
Reid has him covered in every stat that matters, except for uncontested touches, rebound 50's and intercepts.

1716175991360.png

Despite that, Reid is going to take some work to be as good as Nick in his third year. Nick has transitioned into a contested/clearnce machine very very well.

Don't worry, people won't even rember North in 15 years time, other than a club that used to exist a decade ago.

Seriously, a few too many precious types wantin to take it easy on North.

My little one gets the ball and his first thought now is to run at someone and fend off
I was thinking about his style watching him play and he almost has a rugby bash+crash thing going on (you run at the wall and take it on) along with a solid rugby type build (core body strength) - but yeh, the kids #9 jersey must be flying off the shelves?

Last edited:
I don't think we can assume North will be disappointed in the long run for not offering 2 and 3.

McKercher I think has shown plenty to expect him to be a great player.

And seriously, how can anyone have a dig at Zane Duursma and question how good he will be maybe 9 games into his career? He is playing forward in one of the worst teams ever seen as a teenager. And he has been OK.

Wouldn't trade Reid for anything, but North's main issue with how it went down is they way they used pick 3 on another mid-fwd. That was the dumb part.
I think if you polled North supporters and asked would they swap Reid for McKercher and Duursma, the vast majority would say yes.

If you asked WC if they would swap Reid for McKercher and Duursma, everyone would say no.

There's pretty much your answer.

I love Nick Daicos, one of my favourite non-Eagles, but he played a different role entirely to Reid in his first year.
Reid has him covered in every stat that matters, except for uncontested touches, rebound 50's and intercepts.

View attachment 1994945

Despite that, Reid is going to take some work to be as good as Nick in his third year. Nick has transitioned into a contested/clearnce machine very very well.
Personally, I don't really care too much about the 'Daicos v Reid' back and forth, however, their Player Ratings suggest Reid (13.87) is closer to second year (2023) Daicos (15.39) than first year (2022) Daicos (9.87).

1716176322378.png

Personally, I don't really care too much about the 'Daicos v Reid' back and forth, however, their Player Ratings suggest Reid (13.87) is closer to second year (2023) Daicos (15.39) than first year (2022) Daicos (9.87).

View attachment 1994952
Wasn’t a dig at Daicos. More that he’s the current young benchmark and if he can get to Daicos’ level it will be great

I think if you polled North supporters and asked would they swap Reid for McKercher and Duursma, the vast majority would say yes.

If you asked WC if they would swap Reid for McKercher and Duursma, everyone would say no.

Not yet, a bit like asking would you swap peak Dangerfield for peak Merrett and say Martin.

It ain’t that easy to assess that. McKercher will be an a grader. Duursma wait and see but if we think long will be a player then duursma most definitely will be

Brilliant, I wonder why they have 2 SEN teams commentating , hope they release the Goss ones looks like he’s going off😂😂
Also, if you want the extended version (and Goss's commentary on Harley's 2nd goal) have a listen to the Scotty & Goss show (from 16 minutes):

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mm, you're not wrong and I agree entirely that people shouldn't be stirring s**t about it with them directly.

HOWEVER, I think it's reasonable to say that the AFL assistance rendered to them last year was the draft equivalent of matchfixing and that a) 2/3/scraps for Harley looks like a pretty good deal for North now, and b) we probably are right to be a little grumbly about diluted drafts especially when we're bottomed out.

So, for me at least, part of my gloating at North is that despite the fact they were gifted the assets to secure Harley, we still got him, and an indirect celebration of our succeeding despite the best efforts of AFL House.

Fair points, but I don't begrudge North for asking. If you don't ask, you don't get. And every man and their dog knew pick 3 would be the compensation for Ben McKay once the season was over and we finished last.

And another point I think some may miss - would Harley have displayed the same kind of form at North?

I agree. And I think there will never a be a stage we regret how we got Reid instead of 2 and 3.

But there is no way anyone was happy with getting Kennedy and Masten for Judd in 2008 either.

Not yet, a bit like asking would you swap peak Dangerfield for peak Merrett and say Martin.

It ain’t that easy to assess that. McKercher will be an a grader. Duursma wait and see but if we think long will be a player then duursma most definitely will be
Is it that easy.
I'm saying as of right now.

It's easy in hindsight of course but as of right now, I don't think too many are trading those 2 for Reid.

The thing that amazes me about Harley is that he seems to be equally proficient at the fend off with either left or right arm. Its the second 'double fend off' where he has used one arm for the first then used the other for the next.

A lot has been made about North winning that game against Gold Coast costing them a Harley

What has been forgotten is the AFL handed them the keys to unlock Reid but they chose to keep picks 2 and 3

We’d likely have done that deal but they didn’t put it in the table

Dumb. Just dumb. Saved us from ourselves
Keep in mind we also did a dodgy deal with Gold Coast (for some vague something or other that nobody has ever named) to get them to throw that last game against North.

Definitely a lot easier to do that rather than just lose to the Bulldogs the week before.

It couldn’t have worked more perfectly. We didn’t tank, because why would we win a game and lose Pick 1 at the penultimate hurdle if we were tanking? North had it all in their hands, fumbled, then hd a second chance but refused to make a deal.

They’re not going to pick him.

Eh I don't see the joy in rubbing it in the face of North fans. They haven't done us wrong. We got who we got, that's enough for me.
Do you want a ban m8?

Mosquitos are ****ing annoying and it’s funny when you see one fly into a zapper. While they exist on our dime, while our picks get pushed back because of the endless handouts they claim to have never received, I will trawl their board for melts.

You don’t get to enjoy ‘Paul Curtis will be better than Harley Reid’ takes by staying in your lane. A quiet lurk never hurt anybody.

Its like - great duursmas of history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back