List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

The video in the article should have a nsfw warning ā€˜cause damn boy šŸ†
It's a season's worth of broken tackles and fend offs for any of the comp's best midfielders, except we're watching 9 games of a first year player.

The broken tackles on Crisp (1:49) and Heeney (3:07) are chef's kiss. He makes it look so simple. Just an innate sense of how to move his body/hips, and at just the right moment so that the tackler is off balance.

And I mentioned it in the gameday thread, but the moment at 2:38 just cracks me up and shows the gulf in class between certain players. Reid does some exceptional work at the coalface to collect the pill, evade multiple tackles and then handball to Witherden in space. And Witho can't even get a simple kick away. Must be frustrating for Harley.

In fairness to Witho he was probably caught Harley-watching like the rest of us.

Petracca said his mid-coach advised him not to grab the arm, but he just did it out of instinct...(it's the first thing that's comin' at you, in your face)
Why wouldnt you grab it, though?

If you immobilise the arm then the only way the fending player can get rid of the ball legally is to drop it down on the boot for an awkward kick?

Can y'all just imagine the misery around here if we traded pick 1 last year? Media nuffies saying we were mad to not take quantity over quality šŸ¤£
No need to imagine. Take a peek at norf board. A thread full of call of help and misery about missing Harley

No sympathy what's so ever for them.

It's a season's worth of broken tackles and fend offs for any of the comp's best midfielders, except we're watching 9 games of a first year player.

The broken tackles on Crisp (1:49) and Heeney (3:07) are chef's kiss. He makes it look so simple. Just an innate sense of how to move his body/hips, and at just the right moment so that the tackler is off balance.

And I mentioned it in the gameday thread, but the moment at 2:38 just cracks me up and shows the gulf in class between certain players. Reid does some exceptional work at the coalface to collect the pill, evade multiple tackles and then handball to Witherden in space. And Witho can't even get a simple kick away. Must be frustrating for Harley.

In fairness to Witho he was probably caught Harley-watching like the rest of us.

I gave Witho a mulligan on that one

There are times when Harley is evading tackles to get into space when Iā€™m certain he doesnā€™t quite know what his next move is. He just keeps moving until he sees something open up

So if Harley didnā€™t know what he was about to do. Witherden had no hope of knowing. He wasnā€™t expecting it and just took a fraction too long to assess his options. The Melbourne player closed down the space pretty quickly too

Harley probably wouldā€™ve been better off kicking it forward himself rather that hand it off to a player who was flat footed

Nah, we'll sow up a good contract with Harley in dew coarse.

Happy Hour Drinking GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did a sportsmanā€™s night with Ruben on his Birthday and was off to have a late dinner afterwards. Can understand why that wouldnā€™t have been the best 19th Birthday.

Also worth pointing out he didnā€™t say it was the worst birthday because Perth is sleepy and he wanted to hit the town and Crown in Melbourne. He missed his family, which may have been the same for him in Melbourne.

Missing Tongala is not the same as missing Vic.

Also worth pointing out he didnā€™t say it was the worst birthday because Perth is sleepy and he wanted to hit the town and Crown in Melbourne. He missed his family, which may have been the same for him in Melbourne.

Exactly- next year his parents could fly over with his sister to Perth to celebrate or he could fly East a few days earlier to see his family and celebrate. It can easily be accommodated.

If you immobilise the arm then the only way the fending player can get rid of the ball legally is to drop it down on the boot for an awkward kick?

It happens too quick to grab the arm. Parrying the arm is the way, puts them off balance and then you tackle.

All sounds so easy, but you have to see the fend coming first.

This is what I assumed he meant by that because there's no way in hell, living with his mate the Milk Man and how tight the players and club are around him that they wouldn't have done anything with him on his birthday.

It makes you wonder if they shouldn't have just put him up with a host family, or have the Shuey's look after him. He also doesn't seem to get up to much once he's away from the club as well, whenever I hear interviews with him they ask what he does to pass the time and he just says hang out or go for a surf or something. Picking up something to keep himself busy would help.

Sounds good on paper, but they seem to have trouble carrying it out? I'm guessing because it often doesn't work, once Reid has chested them, they're off balance and he's already turning and powering off. He has been 'armed' before and it's worked resulting in a free kick or ball to boot. Petracca briefly had both hands on Reid's arm but lost control...
He's often caught in a twin tackle to ground, but also gets tackled/bundled up and manages to get loose enough to handball, just with pure strength...Yeo similar.

This is what I assumed he meant by that because there's no way in hell, living with his mate the Milk Man and how tight the players and club are around him that they wouldn't have done anything with him on his birthday.

It makes you wonder if they shouldn't have just put him up with a host family, or have the Shuey's look after him. He also doesn't seem to get up to much once he's away from the club as well, whenever I hear interviews with him they ask what he does to pass the time and he just says hang out or go for a surf or something. Picking up something to keep himself busy would help.

Sounds like a 19 year old alright. I doubt he is too unhappy just hanging with his mates as a teenager.

Of course I knew Vic nuffies would latch onto it.

It's a nothing burger.
1. He had his first birthday without his parents.
2. Wce took action and allowed him home during his rest week.

This shows to Harley we are treating him with respect and kindness. And Harley will learn to be more comfortable with missing birthdays without family. It's called getting used to the AFL system Vic nuffies! Harley is one of the players who is open about his feelings and not robotic.

Our club isn't a dunghole I have full faith in our approach to Harley whatever that may be

Last edited:
Of course I knew Vic nuffies would latch onto it.

It's a nothing burger.
He had his first birthday without his parents.

Wce took action and allowed him home during his rest week.

This shows to Harley we are treating him with respect and kindness. And Harley will learn to be more comfortable with missing birthdays without family.
Or his parents can fly over to be with him if Eagles are playing at home or he can fly over to Melb a few days earlier to catch up if Eagles are in Melbourne etc. It's easily sorted... šŸ‘šŸ˜Œ

Nah, we'll sow up a good contract with Harley in dew coarse.

This is what I posted on the main board:

From posting on Instagram recently trying to get his GF to come back to Perth. To jumper tugs.

His actions speak louder then his word when it comes to loving wce.

IMO I'm getting the feeling his trying to get his ducks in a row before signing a long term 5-10 year deal with wce. That means what happens to Girlfriend and family situation that needs to be ironed out. I think Harley is really trying to make it work out long term with wce

Remove this Banner Ad

Back