List Mgmt. Welcome Harley Reid (Pick 1, 2023 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

All the speculation or wishful dreams of the Victorian fans/media in regards to him returning reminds me of the Chris Judd years at the Eagles. They have the same obsession about him missing his family, getting out the Perth fishbowl and even he supported a Victorian team growing up and would want to play for them. They started talking about State of Origin being resurrected and wouldn’t it be great to see him wearing the Big V. Many of these comments have already started again. From memory Victorians would watch Judd at the Eagles and admire his skills as he didn’t play for the arch enemy. However, when Judd went to Carlton a lot of that love dissipated from supporters of other teams. If for arguments sake Harley went to Essendon would other fans tune into that game just to see what he’d do? Would his revenue from sponsorship be reduced?

Just on this.

One of the weird under reported comments by McClure in one of his weird unhinged rants about us taking Harley was Sam said “he should be playing in Melbourne”.

I always thought that comment was a bit weird, and perhaps a bit of a mask off moment, almost as if Harley being generational means he MUST play for a Melbourne club.

Here’s my view: he made some really benign comments on the weekend on ABC, which was picked up by Edmund and reported in a way that was materially different than if you listen to the interview. While being reported as homesick, Harley never said he was homesick.

He clearly woke up to what was happening, and made an effort to explicitly state he wasn’t actually homesick at all.

He said he’s loving his footy in WA, spoke about his relationship with Simmo, Yeo and TK.

The only thing he didn’t do is declare he’ll never leave- at a time when he is wanting to CREATE A MARKET for his services.

Literally, what more do people want him to do?

It’s not his job to make sure you get a good night sleep not worrying about his contract and if he leaves in checks 3 YEARS TIME.
Ha, I'm not losing sleep over it. Like I said if he does go we will be getting a minimum of three first rounders.

Worked out well when Juddy left, I'd be expecting similar returns.

Sent from my SM-A336E using Tapatalk

Just on this.

One of the weird under reported comments by McClure in one of his weird unhinged rants about us taking Harley was Sam said “he should be playing in Melbourne”.

I always thought that comment was a bit weird, and perhaps a bit of a mask off moment, almost as if Harley being generational means he MUST play for a Melbourne club.

Yeah they all truly believe this.

The Media: "we want players to be open and express themselves and not be closed off"

Also the media: "Let's take what the players say and distort it to fit our own agenda and narratives regardless of the players wishes".

The media when the players stop being open with them:
Surprised Meme GIF
Very true.

Ha, I'm not losing sleep over it. Like I said if he does go we will be getting a minimum of three first rounders.

Worked out well when Juddy left, I'd be expecting similar returns.

The question is why even contemplate this?

He is contracted until October 2026.

It’s May 2024.

Is there anything else in your life that you contemplate 2.5 years in advance, or just Harley Reid’s contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on this.

I imagine the extra leg work to take an interest in the teams not on the Eastern Seaboard must be immense.

Just on this.

My tinfoil hat theory is this is why NN was continuously panned in the Vic media.

“Doesn’t take enough marks”
“Game awareness isn’t good enough”
“Sure he’s good but isn’t fit enough to play 4 quarters”

Because he was from WA they knew he was 0 chance of moving to Vic so didn’t care.

Harley = Victorian = possibility to play in Victoria one day = hyped beyond belief

If he was from WA and had the exact same season the hype wouldn’t be anywhere near as big in Vic.

My tinfoil hat theory is this is why NN was continuously panned in the Vic media.

Because he was from WA they knew he was 0 chance of moving to Vic so didn’t care.

Harley = Victorian = possibility to play in Victoria one day = hyped beyond belief

If he was from WA and had the exact same season the hype wouldn’t be anywhere near as big in Vic.
I live in Victoria, in the end they seemed to collectively realise how good NN was. Took them a while to catch on

Who would you rate as the best players in the league right now?

I'd say Chad Warner - are we hearing anywhere near as much shit about him and his playing future? Nope. We all know where he's originally from.

Another 2.5 years and team will probably be in a strong position, such that losing Harley wouldn't be the end of the world, especially with the swapped picks.
That's also another bunch of draft/trade periods and the chance of picking up other quality players.
But lets enjoy Senor Reid while we have him...it's certainly fun and most of us have lost that heavy mantle of doom+gloom over the last few weeks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back