Player Watch Welcome Max Ramsden, Pick 6 2022 MSD - Debuts!

Remove this Banner Ad

He's not playing good enough footy. He played 1 decent game. Let's get him to back it up at least.
He has only played school footy up until the start of 2022. Wasn’t considered for the NAB/Metro elite programs because he wasn’t good enough.

Everyone needs to cool their jets.

If he is to become AFL ready, he needs to add 10-15kgs and a massive amount of football IQ.

2024 at the earliest is his trajectory.

He has only played school footy up until the start of 2022. Wasn’t considered for the NAB/Metro elite programs because he wasn’t good enough.

If he is to become AFL ready, he needs to add 10-15kgs and a massive amount of football IQ.

Either was Newcombe

There was a MSD ruck that was taken by North last year. how does he compare as the other bloke seems to have dropped off the earth
Edwards is not setting the world on fire. He looks and moves like your typical skinny ruckman. Max moves differently. His recovery speed after a marking contest is brilliant. His ability to get the ball and offload is not ruckman-like.

Either was Newcombe
Newcombe was in the Gippsland Power NAB squad in 2020 - but the season obviously didn’t proceed.

Ramsden wasn’t in the Dragons squad in 2021, but they added him in the off season for the 2022 season as a 19 year old.

Watch him play, rather than judging what he was doing 18 months ago.

Watch him play, rather than judging what he was doing 18 months ago.
I’ve watched him play. It’s promising.

However genuine AFL ruckman don’t burst on the scene from nowhere the way people want him to.

Big guys take time. Lots of time. History shows us all that.

He is 202cm and 86kg. Most guys his size are AFL ready at 95kgs and then settle around 100kgs.

Nic Cox has only played on the wing for Essendon and even then he is 200/94

DBG is 195/85 after adding 4kgs since being drafted, and we all agree he needs to put on more size don’t we?

Last edited:
Need to get him, Day and DGB into the gym all off season.
I'm sure they will, but it's not that simple putting weight on someone who plays a physical, running and jumping sport like football. Those adaptations will always compete with each other, and for Day and Ramsden it'll probably take away from their natural advantages as athletes. As in, you can put 5kg of lean tissue on Ramsden over the course of an off-season but he won't come back running a 6:05 time trial.

I'm sure they will, but it's not that simple putting weight on someone who plays a physical, running and jumping sport like football. Those adaptations will always compete with each other, and for Day and Ramsden it'll probably take away from their natural advantages as athletes. As in, you can put 5kg of lean tissue on Ramsden over the course of an off-season but he won't come back running a 6:05 time trial.

Ramsden would get absolutely monstered by opposition rucks if he doesn't put on some size. Someone like Darcy or Preuss would eat him alive.

He already has that advantage over other ruckmen, I don't think putting on weight is going to change that advantage too much. I doubt we'd be asking him to go out there and run like he's in a time trial either.

I'm not sure what athletic advantages Day has compared to your general AFL player. He's not that quick, doesn't have that elite agility and doesn't have that leaping ability of others. But he is smooth when he moves. He just needs to put on a bit more so his body can last if he makes the transition further up the field.

So I don't see how extra weight will essentially rob Peter to pay Paul here with either. Nor with DGB either.

However genuine AFL ruckman don’t burst on the scene from nowhere the way people want him to.

Big guys take time. Lots of time. History shows us all that.

He is 202cm and 86kg. Most guys his size are AFL ready at 95kgs and then settle around 100kgs.

Nic Cox has only played on the wing for Essendon and even then he is 200/94

DBG is 195/85 after adding 4kgs since being drafted, and we all agree he needs to put on more size don’t we?
I think he will debut as a forward long before he is ready to ruck. Not ready yet but his trajectory is incredible. Every from his box hill debut!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When we can see some of the things he’s already doing, and the head coach is overheard saying at Box Hill that Ramsden excites him, your posts about how he needs “massive footy IQ” and how everyone needs to cool their jets, don’t really fit.

When we can see some of the things he’s already doing, and the head coach is overheard saying at Box Hill that Ramsden excites him, your posts about how he needs “massive footy IQ” and how everyone needs to cool their jets, don’t really fit.
The head coach saying Ramsden excites him whilst he’s watching the Box Hill doesn’t equate to him playing AFL in Rd 1 2023 though does it?

As I said, it’s promising, but the idea posted earlier he would play Rd 1 after a big preseason seems pretty far fetched.

Aside from the King twins (who were elite all the way through juniors) can you point me to a player his size who walked into an AFL team at 19 years of age in the past 10 years?

Just my opinion.

The head coach saying Ramsden excites him whilst he’s watching the Box Hill doesn’t equate to him playing AFL in Rd 1 2023 though does it?

As I said, it’s promising, but the idea posted earlier he would play Rd 1 after a big preseason seems pretty far fetched.

Aside from the King twins (who were elite all the way through juniors) can you point me to a player his size who walked into an AFL team at 19 years of age in the past 10 years?

Just my opinion.
I think it actually does.

For the same reason DGB, Day and MacDonald played long before they supposedly going to, due to their body size.
Remember when Day and DGB wouldn’t be seen for 12 months?

As others have said, there’s plenty to like about what he’s showing and with both the need to get games into youngsters and the spots available to support both Lewis and Reeves/Lynch he’s a more than fair chance of being out their Round 1 if he can get a full preseason in, 10kg addition to his frame or not.

Just my opinion.
Brodie Grundy 😉

Ramsden would get absolutely monstered by opposition rucks if he doesn't put on some size. Someone like Darcy or Preuss would eat him alive.

He already has that advantage over other ruckmen, I don't think putting on weight is going to change that advantage too much. I doubt we'd be asking him to go out there and run like he's in a time trial either.

I'm not sure what athletic advantages Day has compared to your general AFL player. He's not that quick, doesn't have that elite agility and doesn't have that leaping ability of others. But he is smooth when he moves. He just needs to put on a bit more so his body can last if he makes the transition further up the field.

So I don't see how extra weight will essentially rob Peter to pay Paul here with either. Nor with DGB either.
"Day is an excellent all-round athlete and showcased his speed (2.96 20m sprint), endurance (21.2 yo-yo test) and leap (88cm running vertical) at the SANFL preseason combine testing."

Pretty sure he was amongst the top tested in all those categories so he's definitely got athleticism that would suffer.

I'm not saying they won't put on weight at all, they're developing players so they'll put it on just from age and the increase in muscle density that brings, but putting on a large amount of weight in a short period of time is going to cause more chance of injury and negative effects on a player than simply letting development run a more natural course. No football club pushes the sort of muscular weight gain you're talking about anymore and there are good reasons - your examples of Darcy and Preuss are big, always have been big and their natural advantage is size, players like Ramsden will never be able to compete with them in that arena so they have to be better at other things.

The problem for an athlete like Ramsden is, to put on enough size or strength he'd need to get significantly bigger and stronger (eat at a significant caloric surplus, prioritise anaerobic training and limit strenuous endurance training) but he also needs to at least maintain an AFL level of fitness which will burn significantly more calories which would need to be offset with additional food, and compete for recovery. They're completely opposite goals, he'd have to reduce aerobic training loads to be able to eat and lift weights enough to put on a load of lean tissue - then when pre-season rolls around and aerobic training is ramped up again the chances of things like foot injuries and soft tissue injuries go up significantly. A good example is Melbourne 2017-2018 where their new S&C coach put them on programs which prioritised heavy compound lifts, and would have contributed to a handful of key players all having foot issues at roughly the same time. McDonald and Viney still have ongoing issues from it.

DGB is the one who could bear to prioritise a bit more size or at least strength, which is why I didn't mention him.

Last edited:

Just my opinion.
Without really thinking about it at all and picking only similarly built players to Ramsden, Eric Hipwood, Nik Cox and Tim English spring to mind.

Day has got all 3 qualities its why he is an A grader in the making.

Max Ramsden (1 goal, 9 disposals, 5 marks)

“Rama’s still developing really nicely for us, and we’re really happy with how he’s going. He has shown a good combination of up forward and in the ruck. He’s took a few nice marks this week – five marks for the game is a really, really good sign for him.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back