Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll readily admit I was very doubtful he'd make the team when he was first named on the extended Thursday night bench because I've watched a fair bit of BHH games and while HH showed his clean, quick hands he hardly ever did anything that screamed AFL ready. I felt he was at the very least another full pre-season away from getting a call-up.

How very wrong I was. Seems some people just need that push into the limelight to perform, and his performance was so very, very good.

And on top of all that, regardless of how many times I saw him at City Oval he never looked like a 195cm player.
More strength to you Henry.

He looks very at home on the big field that is the MCG which is weird because…

Old English - Hus: home
Thwaite: piece of land or land cleared of woods and converted

Trippy GIF by Animation Domination High-Def

Hustwaite - 195cm
Nash - 198cm
Reeves - 210cm
Finn - 190cm
Day - 191cm
Newk - 188cm

Imagine coming up against that height in our midfield.
I dont too fixated on players heights .....but Day would be the shortest 191cm person I've seen .
I think he has grown a bit looks closer to 6'4 in the old scale

His lack of leg speed is his only ?

If he doesn't make it, he'll always have last Sunday. Dream debut.
HIs quickness of mind and hand was amazing to watch, and i think players who have that natural meter of space because they think so quickly don't need the leg speed. What does need is an ability to cover more miles than anyone else so he can get to contests.

The midfield is now deeper than we have had for many many years.

What I liked the most was his temperament. No nerves was calm and quietly confident. That's an AFL trait right there. Very pleased we gave him a game as that will fuel real belief for 2024.

HIs quickness of mind and hand was amazing to watch, and i think players who have that natural meter of space because they think so quickly don't need the leg speed. What does need is an ability to cover more miles than anyone else so he can get to contests.

The midfield is now deeper than we have had for many many years.
Correct weight. He has two elite afl traits (quick hands and time and space in traffic) get the rest of his game up to a C+ B level and we are looking at a serious player. Will need to, obviously, find a second position also

What was great as well is that as we saw due to his height he pops up as a target inside F50 ala the Breust kick. Sides will have to mark him closely when he drifts fwd which will help create space for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think someone else already mentioned it and its a true statement. His game didn't change from u18s to VFL to AFL. The faster pace of the AFL didn't bother him when gaining possession and disposing it. This is a fundamental advantage for any young player. He just didn't seem flustered or rushed at AFL level. Lots to like from the kid. Pendles is a very good nick name for him

I think someone else already mentioned it and its a true statement. His game didn't change from u18s to VFL to AFL. The faster pace of the AFL didn't bother him when gaining possession and disposing it. This is a fundamental advantage for any young player. He just didn't seem flustered or rushed at AFL level. Lots to like from the kid. Pendles is a very good nick name for him
Hustlebury

He looks very at home on the big field that is the MCG which is weird because…

Old English - Hus: home
Thwaite: piece of land or land cleared of woods and converted

Trippy GIF by Animation Domination High-Def
Nice

Not that I give a flying fcuk but thought Henry Houdini played a superior game to that of the Rnd 23 Rising Star Matt Johnson

Like AA (AllAustralian Anonymous) selections I never pay them that much attention as it’s a boys club type mentality process.

All I really care about is Premiership’s- nothing more , nothing less.
Can guarantee Houdini will have his fair share in the years to come - mark my words

Not that I give a flying fcuk but thought Henry Houdini played a superior game to that of the Rnd 23 Rising Star Matt Johnson

Like AA (AllAustralian Anonymous) selections I never pay them that much attention as it’s a boys club type mentality process.

All I really care about is Premiership’s- nothing more , nothing less.
Can guarantee Houdini will have his fair share in the years to come - mark my words

He did play a better game, but Johnson got in over a good year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back