Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Box Hill took a significant step towards securing their return to finals football, defeating a spirited and fast-finishing GWS in Sydney last Saturday.

Henry Hustwaite (26 disposals, 7 clearances)

“Henry had another solid performance where he was able to finish with 26 disposals. GWS played several AFL-listed players, which gave our guys who haven’t played AFL footy at all, or haven’t been in the AFL side of late, a really good test and challenge to the standards you need to play at consistently. That was one of the lessons for Henry – the running power that’s required to play as a midfielder at VFL-level and even more at AFL-level. He still had a really good game. Six clearances, along with a couple of tackles. He was able to have some influence on the game.”
Really pleasing he is able to line up in the centre a lot. GWS players were trying to get stuck into him but he wasn't phased at all.

When GWS was coming home hard in the last qtr they took him out of the middle and went with the more experienced players. Shows he is still working on the endurance. But he is having good year for his first year and building nicely.

I'm sure he will be a great player for the Hawks.

Really pleasing he is able to line up in the centre a lot. GWS players were trying to get stuck into him but he wasn't phased at all.

When GWS was coming home hard in the last qtr they took him out of the middle and went with the more experienced players. Shows he is still working on the endurance. But he is having good year for his first year and building nicely.

I'm sure he will be a great player for the Hawks.
The one player that hasn't managed to get in the seniors that I really hope gets a go before the season is finished.

His Box Hill stats have been super consistent and he comes across as the kind of player that will thrive the better the skills and contest is.

The one player that hasn't managed to get in the seniors that I really hope gets a go before the season is finished.

His Box Hill stats have been super consistent and he comes across as the kind of player that will thrive the better the skills and contest is.
I'd like him and Coop to try and be the next Nash/Worpel fo our midfield group. HH has really strong defensive instincts and the height to make him a nightmare for the smaller accumulators. His knack for getting his hands to the footy first is unreal, and makes up for his lack of damage with ball in hand. If he can get the ball to Newk, Day, and Mackenzie while keeping his opponent accountable he'll be getting a run in our side at some point in the future.

Box Hill took a significant step towards securing their return to finals football, defeating a spirited and fast-finishing GWS in Sydney last Saturday.

Henry Hustwaite (26 disposals, 7 clearances)

“Henry had another solid performance where he was able to finish with 26 disposals. GWS played several AFL-listed players, which gave our guys who haven’t played AFL footy at all, or haven’t been in the AFL side of late, a really good test and challenge to the standards you need to play at consistently. That was one of the lessons for Henry – the running power that’s required to play as a midfielder at VFL-level and even more at AFL-level. He still had a really good game. Six clearances, along with a couple of tackles. He was able to have some influence on the game.”
Good synopsis but can’t count very well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a great first half to start his career. He's debatably the best player on the ground. He's shown his exquisite skills. He's shown how he can use his bigger frame to his advantage in marking contests and that he has the vigour to move the ball at a quick pace. It's not exactly common for a midfielder on debut to kick two goals. I was very surprised that we had the chance to draft him last year. I had him ranked in or around the first round. Who knows whether he goes on to succeed at this level, whether that be due to our midfield depth, etc. But one thing is clear: he is more than talented for this level.

That's a decent game for his debut. 15 disposals, 5 tackles, 5 score involvements and 2 goals.

Might even get a rising star nom if no one else has a big game.

If he can do inside and fwd, might help him in the logjam which is our midfield right now.

I wonder if ohara and Stephens get a run next week

Last edited:
Could someone pls give us a summary of where he played and what he did well.

I know he has excellent composure and great ball handling.

How did his attributes translate to senior level?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back