Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

The kid has vision and decision making you cannot teach. Could be the best of the lot of em.
No. He looks a super talent, but he’s not gonna be better than MacKenzie, and if Weddle hits his straps it’ll be hard to top him too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's ready to go now. I'd have no hesitation picking him next week.
Got to admit I’m a little concerned about his lack of pace in the midfield. Not about with ball in hand as his disposal is great.

But we already struggle to defend transition through the middle. And I can see the opposition running off him constantly and getting dangerous.

He is the type of rookie that I reckon a few clubs might be interested in and force the hand of the Hawks. The Swans for example need a big bodied in and under type and have prior form of coming to shop at HFC.

If he is going to make it at AFL level it is probably going to be in the guts getting the ball out to runners. And he has shown he is pretty good at that

He is the type of rookie that I reckon a few clubs might be interested in and force the hand of the Hawks. The Swans for example need a big bodied in and under type and have prior form of coming to shop at HFC.

If he is going to make it at AFL level it is probably going to be in the guts getting the ball out to runners. And he has shown he is pretty good at that

He's not a big bodied midfielder (at this stage, and he may never be) and doesn't play an in-and-under game either. He's tall, very clean by hand and is a smooth mover in traffic.

He's not a big bodied midfielder (at this stage, and he may never be) and doesn't play an in-and-under game either. He's tall, very clean by hand and is a smooth mover in traffic.
Also, not a Rookie.

The comparison to Scott Pendlebury is pretty spot on, I reckon.

A player like this is a difference maker if accurate. I hope he keeps developing as he is until they can't deny him a game.

It's tough to see Newcombe and Day getting moved out of the coalface. Worpel and Nash still look to be getting better as well. Ward not even in the side.

We'll have the kitchen stocked with a full second and maybe more rotations in two years. McKenzie, C Mac as full time midfielders who can play flanks, Moore, Brockman and Butler with real promise to be mid forwards.

It will be just down to mixing in one or two of the younger guys with that group above, with guys pushing to flanks forward or back as required. Then when you need to break the glass in an emergency, you can get that top line group in there.

But damn, I hope Hustwaithe joins that top level group, along with whoever we draft this year.

Last edited:
Box Hill Coach Zane Littlejohn gives his review of each AFL-listed Hawk following his side’s 39-point victory over Southport on Saturday.

Henry Hustwaite (26 disposals, 5 clearances, 5 marks, 6 tackles)

“We put Henry back on the ball this week so he spent a bit more time in the midfield, which was great for him. We saw some really good footwork and stoppage craft from Henry. He used his hands which we know is his weapon. It was a good game for Henry and probably his best game since he’s come back from being out for a few weeks. He used the ball really well and he was nice and tough inside. There were some nice signs from Henry so now he’s just got to continue this next month of finding continuity and building off it. That’s probably the standard for him now so he’ll keep growing from that.”

VFL player by player RD10: Each AFL-listed Hawk in review​

Henry Hustwaite (28 disposals, 8 tackles, 3 marks)

“It was another great game from Hust in regards to finding the footy. He was tough last week and he was tough again this week. His ability to use his hands around congestion and get us into space was really pleasing.”

Box Hill took a significant step towards securing their return to finals football, defeating a spirited and fast-finishing GWS in Sydney last Saturday.

Henry Hustwaite (26 disposals, 7 clearances)

“Henry had another solid performance where he was able to finish with 26 disposals. GWS played several AFL-listed players, which gave our guys who haven’t played AFL footy at all, or haven’t been in the AFL side of late, a really good test and challenge to the standards you need to play at consistently. That was one of the lessons for Henry – the running power that’s required to play as a midfielder at VFL-level and even more at AFL-level. He still had a really good game. Six clearances, along with a couple of tackles. He was able to have some influence on the game.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back