Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Pick 37, Henry Hustwaite - Debuts against the Dees!

Remove this Banner Ad

Makes his way out of traffic very well & he seems to consciously weight kicks to the advantage of his target. Granted, he doesn't execute every kick, but shows that he's thinking & composed with ball in hand.

He's the anti-Worpel, in that regard.

Sam mentioned last night that Henry has the best hands in the draft, he said that there’s already been moments at training where the coaches have been quite surprised at how well he can find targets by hand, how clean he is in the contest, and at his size how it doesn’t matter if he has to go under or over the tackler. Sam seems like a fan.

His highlight passage of play last week that I mentioned in my post left me and two fellow posters here impressed.

It was a good mix of skill and timing in one smooth motion. Kind of reminded me of Pendles (time warp) and Burgoyne (perfect timing of his run).

His highlight passage of play last week that I mentioned in my post left me and two fellow posters here impressed.

It was a good mix of skill and timing in one smooth motion. Kind of reminded me of Pendles (time warp) and Burgoyne (perfect timing of his run).
That's who I thought of as well, when I saw his highlights video.

Some of the stuff he can do in traffic, I haven’t really seen many players do at any level. It’s pretty special, the way he can navigate his way through a contest with his hands and with his decision-making and his agility and his ability to find people … he puts other players in better positions.

“And the game sort of slows down around him, which sets him apart from most of the other midfielders in the competition.’’

Pretty good prospect we have here guys and gals. Thought I would post some positive new year's news.
The comments above are from his assistant coach from the above article. 👍

Husthwaite, Weddle and Ramsden

Sounds like a northern Britain law firm that’s been there 150 years
Or three main characters from a Dickens novel set in 1800s London.

Henry Husthwaite came to Old Melbourne Town with the greatest of expectations and along the way made a great friend in Mr Weddle and thwarted the devious machinations of the villainous Colonel Ramsden.

Or three main characters from a Dickens novel set in 1800s London.

Henry Husthwaite came to Old Melbourne Town with the greatest of expectations and along the way made a great friend in Mr Weddle and thwarted the devious machinations of the villainous Colonel Ramsden.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oddly excited about this bloke and his work in close
Hustwaite is a good ball winner in tight and distributor by hand and foot what we have been crying out for. Imagine him freeing newk and mackenzie to drill inside 50, or backwards to CJ or Bailey MacDonald off the hbf for the next decade plus - I think he’s a steal!

Showed a fair bit in the first intraclub. Would be expected to get at least a couple games this season.

General consensus was he was rated late first/early second in this years crop but slid all the way to 37. Any draft gurus know what traits or lack thereof could have caused this?

Davo-27 may be able to shed some light?

Showed a fair bit in the first intraclub. Would be expected to get at least a couple games this season.

General consensus was he was rated late first/early second in this years crop but slid all the way to 37. Any draft gurus know what traits or lack thereof could have caused this?

Lacks speed and athleticism.

Has smarts and skill.

Can he make it without burst speed?
We'll see, but he has made a strong early impression.

Lacks speed and athleticism.

Has smarts and skill.

Can he make it without burst speed?
We'll see, but he has made a strong early impression.
I don't think it will matter if he creates his own time and space.

I was watching him yesterday and often there was a large pack and all of a sudden Hus had the pill with no-one around him.

So tall as well he can deliver by hand over the top of players.

Also, large frame so if he can get stronger and take the impact before releasing, he will have even more time.

I know it's 1 intra-club game but he could play 300 games and lead us to a flag.
LOL, I think standing in the heat yesterday watching has finally got to me.

I think most people had him around the early 2nd round, I think Cal liked him as a late 1st, I think he may have slid a bit after having some ordinary late season form, maybe ran out of petrol tickets and it saw him slide a little, but as were seeing he has some ability in tight and can pinch hit as an interceptor med/tall Def as well if needed.

Also slowish inside mids are out of favour with AFL clubs, but his height gives him an edge, just some thoughts on why he may have slid a little.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back