Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Pick 51, 2022: Bailey MacDonald - a Hawk until 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

He played a solid game before going back to BH - good to hear that he has continued his strong form.

He has been developing nicely this year.
This crop of Hawthorn FC listed youngsters has so much potential. Feels like ages since I felt this hopeful about the club securing more silverware in the not too distant future. Has someone checked there’s still Brasso in the cupboard?

If anyone saw Bailey’s last play on Saturday that set I think Fergus Greene up goal was just electric!
My god I cannot wait to see him get the confidence in the senior team to turn the after burners on the G.
How do we fit Bailey,Shammy,Weddle and CJ in the one team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If anyone saw Bailey’s last play on Saturday that set I think Fergus Greene up goal was just electric!
My god I cannot wait to see him get the confidence in the senior team to turn the after burners on the G.
How do we fit Bailey,Shammy,Weddle and CJ in the one team?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hope we train Bailey on a wing over preseason. Make him study Ed Langdons work on the wing. He's got the tools. Needs to tidy his kicking up at times and decision making but a promising prospect.

Less than half the size of the Wizard! 😱
The ‘Wiz’ is already taken so if Bailey gets ‘Ard’ they can stand on each others shoulders and be unstoppable.

But what I really came here to say was, how ******* good was he out of half back in the last to basically win the game? Gave it the old ‘* it’ and bailed.

Any chance MacDonald could be tried on the wing at some point?

Doubt it. SM seems keen on having some pace and run from the back 6 - evidenced by Bramble playing there (despite him not being able to defend an opponent) and Mitchell was getting games, being asked with providing some run.

There are also rumours that Amon is going to train as a defender too. To me it doesn't make much sense to move one of the premier wingmen in the competition to the backline, where he will have more defensive responsibilities, but you'd hazard a guess that SM wants to use Amon's experience, run and skills when we transition from the D50.

So I reckon SM will want MacDonald to develop further as a running backman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know this is BD’s thread but I find it hard to believe Amon will be moved back. His delivery and goal threat is way too valuable to the team.
It’s like using M Lewis in the ruck.
Sam wants players to play their strength, which is why I believe Bailey will be played as a pressure forward. I also find it hard to believe he will push for a best 22. I really like Sam Butler and Josh Bennett will be given time on the list as a cat b.
I see zero chances for Bailey as a rebounding defender as we has 32 of them on our list

I know this is BD’s thread but I find it hard to believe Amon will be moved back. His delivery and goal threat is way too valuable to the team.
It’s like using M Lewis in the ruck.
Sam wants players to play their strength, which is why I believe Bailey will be played as a pressure forward. I also find it hard to believe he will push for a best 22. I really like Sam Butler and Josh Bennett will be given time on the list as a cat b.
I see zero chances for Bailey as a rebounding defender as we has 32 of them on our list
You can take it to the bank mate Amon will be training at half back

You can take it to the bank mate Amon will be training at half back
Impey, Amon & Mitchell as small, rebounding defenders.
Weddle as a tall rebounding defender.
Hardwick as a small lockdown defender.
Blanck + Phillips as Key Position Defenders.
Sicily + Scrimshaw as intercepting defenders.

Day + Duke unlucky, but they'll be squeezed out to fit all these backmen in!

Impey, Amon & Mitchell as small, rebounding defenders.
Weddle as a tall rebounding defender.
Hardwick as a small lockdown defender.
Blanck + Phillips as Key Position Defenders.
Sicily + Scrimshaw as intercepting defenders.

Day + Duke unlucky, but they'll be squeezed out to fit all these backmen in!
The half back line one of the most important in modern footy.

The half back line one of the most important in modern footy.

Amon has shown that he can get back and defend really well when we were having trouble defensively, and mark well in particular.

The thing he does best of all is kick like a John Stockton used to get the ball to teammates in the NBA.

Some of his delivery hitting long targets in traffic has been at career mailman level (too far with Stockton and Malone analogy :think:)

As much as we lose by him not being there as much to link up, he's an absolute weapon with that left foot.

Our priority is fast ball movement, we're tying to play in a way that teams won't be able to counter. Seems logical this will happen.

Nor the elite tank. Has the speed though.
Has a very good tank going off the yo-yo test on Monday, and it will only get better.

Better to catch it now than when it's broken. Shame for the kid, but it's better for him and the club to get this sorted now than struggle through repeat injuries.
I for one can't wait till preseason is over and into about round 6 with hopefully the majority of our players body's battle hardened

Remove this Banner Ad

Back