Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy Yes Please GIF by CBS
No it's a no

I'm going early doors on this and say that I reckon Cam is going to be a star!!! Sorry for bringing the thread into disrupute by mentioning Cam.
When one Cam closes another Cam opens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"when one door closes another one opens"
That's a saying that always caused me a moment of pause.
Why is it impossible for all doors to be closed at the same time? Is this a physics thing?
Something to do with how the door catches the worm, I think.

If you were a rock climber you'd realize how terrifying a prospect this is....
Or if you know what a camming device is without being a rick climber. I could simply be terrified for my friends.

Cam does look like he could be a special player... Though he is not ready made and he still has things to work on. We will see the extent of his progress this season hopefully.

Good players don't always come ready made. Luke Hodge had his doubters early.

It would be nice to draft a player this year who banishes doubts instantly and where it is just obvious straight away that they have what it takes to be elite at AFL level. We arguably have too many long road development types.

Cam does look like he could be a special player... Though he is not ready made and he still has things to work on. We will see the extent of his progress this season hopefully.

Good players don't always come ready made. Luke Hodge had his doubters early.

It would be nice to draft a player this year who banishes doubts instantly and where it is just obvious straight away that they have what it takes to be elite at AFL level. We arguably have too many long road development types.

Weddle.

I thought it was "one door closes when a butterfly flaps its wings"
True story: It was originally a seagull (as in the seagull effect), but it never gained purchase until a friend told the guy make it a butterfly... and the rest as they say ... is a door in the hand.

Looks better as a midfield receiver in space than first dibs ball winner.

Seems flat footed at times blokes seem to be able to get away from him and he doesn’t have the jets to make up the ground.
Yeah, he looks like he lacks a little bit of burst/power at this stage. The side steps look nice but is to create time as he’s not straight line quick at this stage.

Ward seems to have gained a bit in his 3rd preseason so I reckon expectations need to be managed for another preseason or two as it may take a while to come together for Cam.

A bit more penetration on his kicking would help - he’s really good up to 30m with short kicks but some Sicily/Jai style 55m bullets would really add to his game.

Looks better as a midfield receiver in space than first dibs ball winner.

Seems flat footed at times blokes seem to be able to get away from him and he doesn’t have the jets to make up the ground.

The mobility of our midfield is an issue generally. That ability to limit damage when they get beaten in a contest and not then be run away from.

Connor Macdonald has the pace to run with the best of them, which is why he's a break of the pattern of our mids. But i don't think the defensive aspects of the game and mindset come to him naturally, from what i have observed.

The mobility of our midfield is an issue generally. That ability to limit damage when they get beaten in a contest and not then be run away from.

Connor Macdonald has the pace to run with the best of them, which is why he's a break of the pattern of our mids. But i don't think the defensive aspects of the game and mindset come to him naturally, from what i have observed.
The one point of difference I was hoping to see this season is speed on every line but losing Seamus CJ Day and BMac as an option means this isn’t an option now.

Worry for me was we looked slow in the practice match thru the middle and guys like Huss and Cam McK aren’t blessed with line breaking speed and certainly struggle to contain run the other way. We just need them to keep winning the pill till we get more speed in the side.

The one point of difference I was hoping to see this season is speed on every line but losing Seamus CJ Day and BMac as an option means this isn’t an option now.

Worry for me was we looked slow in the practice match thru the middle and guys like Huss and Cam McK aren’t blessed with line breaking speed and certainly struggle to contain run the other way. We just need them to keep winning the pill till we get more speed in the side.

Yep. We really need to be more honest about where Hawthorn are at....around here.

The club has been drafting a lot of players who come with flaws or concerns - i.e. lack pace, or size, or touch by foot, or are one sided, or need to be taught this and that.

Even Weddle, as electric as he is, and obvious, looks really lost at times. -

This year -
Dear = project
Watson = must be close to the smallest top five draftee in my living memory
McCabe = fingers crossed, but far out!!!!! lower back already.

Recruiting is a hard job, but looking at the Hawthorns kids lately sure feels like I am looking at St Kilda's kids over the last decade. .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back