Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Box Hill shone under lights, taking home a 39-point win against Frankston to cap off a fine home-and-away season on Friday night.

Cam Mackenzie (25 disposals, 11 tackles, 4 clearances)

"Cam started the game like a house on fire. He was elite with his craft from inside to outside of the contest, his composure with ball in hand and the way he moved he really looked like an AFL footballer. He finished with 25 touches, but more importantly the 11 tackles. He showed a real tough side to his game which was great to see. He finished with four clearances and hit the scoreboard too, but his ball use and composure going forward and his decision-making was of a real AFL-standard. It was really exciting to see that from a first-year draftee."

Box Hill shone under lights, taking home a 39-point win against Frankston to cap off a fine home-and-away season on Friday night.

Cam Mackenzie (25 disposals, 11 tackles, 4 clearances)

"Cam started the game like a house on fire. He was elite with his craft from inside to outside of the contest, his composure with ball in hand and the way he moved he really looked like an AFL footballer. He finished with 25 touches, but more importantly the 11 tackles. He showed a real tough side to his game which was great to see. He finished with four clearances and hit the scoreboard too, but his ball use and composure going forward and his decision-making was of a real AFL-standard. It was really exciting to see that from a first-year draftee."

This sounds like his best games prior to being drafted. Strong offensively and defensively, can't wait till he showcases more of this in the seniors.

Ward was a rising star nominee in round 18 last year with a 30+ possession game. He was BOG or thereabouts. He had 20 plus possessions in every game thereafter, or four out of the remaining five from memory. I don't think anyone is saying MacKenzie will not be a good player, only that his progress has been slower than we might have hoped given he looked ready-made after his first game.
How would you feel if he had these stats for the first three years?

1692675029862.png

Ward was a rising star nominee in round 18 last year with a 30+ possession game. He was BOG or thereabouts. He had 20 plus possessions in every game thereafter, or four out of the remaining five from memory. I don't think anyone is saying MacKenzie will not be a good player, only that his progress has been slower than we might have hoped given he looked ready-made after his first game.
There's a lot more midfield talent and players in form this year, which is why he has been playing at BH more than he would otherwise.
MacKenzie is doing fine.

As I've said in the past, Cameron Mackenzie doesn’t necessarily find himself at Box Hill through his own doing. As The Chad and I said above me, the main reason he finds himself at Box Hill is due to our sudden abundance of midfielders, which is also hurting him from getting midfield time at AFL level, where he can be at his most effective. If he doesn’t play this weekend, that's perfectly fine. We all know he's far too good for the VFL, but I'd rather he help Box Hill try to win the VFL Premiership as a leading player and follow in the footsteps of his fellow teammates, Dylan Moore, Mitchell Lewis, Conor Nash, and Changkuoth Jiath, who all played in Box Hill's history-making 2018 Grand Final victory. I expect a similar career trajectory for Mackenzie to that of Callum Mills. The similarities in their games are clear for all to see, but I also suspect his career trajectory will be similar. Yes, Mills won the Rising Star in his first year, but he gradually progressed from there and went under the radar until establishing himself as one of the best in 2021 and 2022. I expect something similar from Mackenzie. Just as long as Mackenzie continues to show gradual improvement, he is heading for stardom. By 2026, he should be well and truly ingrained in this team, and I hope he'll be one of the best by 2027 or 2028.

As I've said in the past, Cameron Mackenzie doesn’t necessarily find himself at Box Hill through his own doing. As The Chad and I said above me, the main reason he finds himself at Box Hill is due to our sudden abundance of midfielders, which is also hurting him from getting midfield time at AFL level, where he can be at his most effective. If he doesn’t play this weekend, that's perfectly fine. We all know he's far too good for the VFL, but I'd rather he help Box Hill try to win the VFL Premiership as a leading player and follow in the footsteps of his fellow teammates, Dylan Moore, Mitchell Lewis, Conor Nash, and Changkuoth Jiath, who all played in Box Hill's history-making 2018 Grand Final victory. I expect a similar career trajectory for Mackenzie to that of Callum Mills. The similarities in their games are clear for all to see, but I also suspect his career trajectory will be similar. Yes, Mills won the Rising Star in his first year, but he gradually progressed from there and went under the radar until establishing himself as one of the best in 2021 and 2022. I expect something similar from Mackenzie. Just as long as Mackenzie continues to show gradual improvement, he is heading for stardom. By 2026, he should be well and truly ingrained in this team, and I hope he'll be one of the best by 2027 or 2028.
You forgot Sic as a Box Hill premiership player….

99.95% Cam McKenzie should play with Box Hill. He will get invaluable experience playing against players who are 100% motivated to win the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty excited about what he’s going to do with another preseason under his belt.

Flew completely under the radar by the end of the year, when people talked about the talent on our list.

IMG_5474.jpeg
This is as good an opportunity as Mackenzie will get this season to prove himself and secure a spot in our best 22. As of right now, I would say he's the 23rd man in the team. It is very unfortunate news for Day, but I am keen to see Mackenzie given proper midfield time. He is easily a class above the VFL, and in several of his AFL games last season, he showed he could be a class above most AFL players. He's my favourite player at the club now. I hope he establishes himself in the first several games (if he is given the chance, like I assume).

Better than Ashcroft and Sheezel?

No where near them on what we've see so far.

Good signs yesterday though.

Those two are freaks, but it's very early doors for that draft year. Either way I see him being a valuable part of our mix with his breakaway speed and clean disposal. That is what we've been crying out for in the engine room for years now.

Those two are freaks, but it's very early doors for that draft year. Either way I see him being a valuable part of our mix with his breakaway speed and clean disposal. That is what we've been crying out for in the engine room for years now.
Lol is that the expression? I've heard people say that, but I thought it was 'early days'...

Lol is that the expression? I've heard people say that, but I thought it was 'early days'...

It's a perfectly cromulent expression like 'The early door gets the worm'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back