Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Pick 7, Cam MacKenzie, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. We really need to be more honest about where Hawthorn are at....around here.

The club has been drafting a lot of players who come with flaws or concerns - i.e. lack pace, or size, or touch by foot, or are one sided, or need to be taught this and that.

Even Weddle, as electric as he is, and obvious, looks really lost at times. -

This year -
Dear = project
Watson = must be close to the smallest top five draftee in my living memory
McCabe = fingers crossed, but far out!!!!! lower back already.

Recruiting is a hard job, but looking at the Hawthorns kids lately sure feels like I am looking at St Kilda's kids over the last decade. .
🤦‍♂️

Yep. We really need to be more honest about where Hawthorn are at....around here.

The club has been drafting a lot of players who come with flaws or concerns - i.e. lack pace, or size, or touch by foot, or are one sided, or need to be taught this and that.

This year -
Dear = project

Recruiting is a hard job, but looking at the Hawthorns kids lately sure feels like I am looking at St Kilda's kids over the last decade. .
D+

This year -
Dear = project

I remember Mitchell saying a while ago he wanted to recruit players that possessed elite traits. Perhaps he is less worried about the flaws in players games and backs himself as a coach to maximise players in these areas.

Its easy to compare players that haven’t come on yet but if you actually go back and look at the picks in isolation and take into consideration where our list was at in each of those drafts, they made total sense.

DGB was best available talent at the time, Ward we selected when we were crying for a midfielder that could kick (don’t remind me of the Mitchell O’Meara turnover era).
McKenzie same thing, if you went back to that pick and could redraft any player, who would you take? Ginbey maybe? Other than that there is nothing of interest.

Outside of early picks we’ve actually been ok too, jury out on Butler but again if you could go back and have that pick again, the only player that was drafted after him I’d consider taking would be Soligo. So idk what more we can realistically expect from the club. I think we’ve done a very fair job with the picks we’ve had, even with the benefit of hindsight.

This year -
Dear = project

Which players have lacked pace?

Like holy s**t, it's like an 18 year old isn't already the complete package. D+ drafting, start again.

I remember Mitchell saying a while ago he wanted to recruit players that possessed elite traits. Perhaps he is less worried about the flaws in players games and backs himself as a coach to maximise players in these areas.

Its easy to compare players that haven’t come on yet but if you actually go back and look at the picks in isolation and take into consideration where our list was at in each of those drafts, they made total sense.

DGB was best available talent at the time, Ward we selected when we were crying for a midfielder that could kick (don’t remind me of the Mitchell O’Meara turnover era).
McKenzie same thing, if you went back to that pick and could redraft any player, who would you take? Ginbey maybe? Other than that there is nothing of interest.

Outside of early picks we’ve actually been ok too, jury out on Butler but again if you could go back and have that pick again, the only player that was drafted after him I’d consider taking would be Soligo. So idk what more we can realistically expect from the club. I think we’ve done a very fair job with the picks we’ve had, even with the benefit of hindsight.
It’s all easy in hindsight and it’s too early to judge even DGB. I remember the 2021 draft hoping that Van Rooyen got through to our pick. People have to remember that not all high picks work out and from my perspective overall we have drafted well. Personally I would have taken Philippou over Mackenzie but I was happy with either.
Butler has been played out of position. They tried to make him a small forward with our dearth in that area, but he’s a high HF or defensive wing.
Now that we have a good small forward crop hopefully he gets the chance to play upfield and show what he can do. If he comes on and Serong makes it that’s one hell of a draft.

This year -
Dear = project

WTAF?! You expect 18 year old draftees to come without any flaws whatsoever? Get a grip!

It’s all easy in hindsight and it’s too early to judge even DGB. I remember the 2021 draft hoping that Van Rooyen got through to our pick. People have to remember that not all high picks work out and from my perspective overall we have drafted well. Personally I would have taken Philippou over Mackenzie but I was happy with either.
Butler has been played out of position. They tried to make him a small forward with our dearth in that area, but he’s a high HF or defensive wing.
Now that we have a good small forward crop hopefully he gets the chance to play upfield and show what he can do. If he comes on and Serong makes it that’s one hell of a draft.
For me, Butler’s talents show him to be an excellent back pocket. Watching him in the VFL, he does not have many tricks as a fwd. And creativity makes a fwd.

But if he is given a task to stop a player in the oppo’s fwd line from getting the ball, and then run off him, I think he will do great. Hardwick replacement? Sam and the Hawks are not doing it, but maybe they should.

Last edited:
For me, Butler’s talents show him to be an excellent back pocket. Watching him in the VFL, he does not have any tricks as a fwd. And creativity makes a fwd.

But if he is given a task to stop a player in the oppo’s fwd line from getting the ball, and then run off him, then I think he will do great. Hardwick replacement? Sam and the Hawks are not doing it, but maybe they should.
Butler obviously has talent and reports on how well he is training this preseason show he has desire and work ethic......but, I am yet to see anything outstanding (out of position?) which will get him a game unless we sustain more injuries ( so only by default).

I too would like to see him trialed elsewhere and BP seems a good choice. He needs to find his spot and get a good run at AFL as I believe he can play.

I'd hate to see him leave through lack of opportunities, so we need to see if he can play consistently at the level.

Ward, MacDonald, Mackenzie, Weddle and Hustwaite all look like they have what it takes to become quality long-term players. I think we have drafted superbly there.

To date Ward has out performed Erasmus and Johnson, who were our other considerstions. Ward looks set to have a great season and will be a versatile midfielder, and leader, for the next decade.

MacDonald has outperformed Sonsie and looks like a really inspired draft selection.

Mackenzie and Phillipou will be an interesting discussion going forward. I believe Mackenzie has had a big preseason and is primed to announce himself as a quality midfielder. Phillipou looks like a gun, but is seemingly a forward first (at least at this stage of his career).

Weddle has outperformed Allen. In fact he's outperformed most of his draft class.

And I'm not sure who would have been in consideration had Hustwaite not fallen to us.

Though it's fair to say that Butler and DGB have struggled, and as it stands it doesn't look too good for either as there just isn't a spot in the side for them currently.

This year -
Dear = project

adam sandler comedy GIF

I came here to chat about MacKenzie, I can see it’s the wrong thread…
Don't let the door bump your butterfly on the way out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This year -
Dear = project

Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

So do we think he plays round 1? Or is HH ahead of him for Day’s spot? Or does he slide onto bench/wing rotation or even be the sub?

So do we think he plays round 1? Or is HH ahead of him for Day’s spot? Or does he slide onto bench/wing rotation or even be the sub?
I reckon he'll play loose off half-back. Looks to be his best position at this stage of his career.

I reckon he'll play loose off half-back. Looks to be his best position at this stage of his career.
Not likely.

We have an abundance of half backs ahead of him for that spot.

We seem to like him on the wing. I don’t mind that option as it masks his defensive limitations, keeps him in the side and sets some challenges I reckon he can meet. Sic played on the wing at Box Hill and I’m hoping it works out equally as well.

Just to be pedantic, can we update the title? It's "Mackenzie" not "MacKenzie".
Yes.

We wouldn't want you rocking back and forth, gnashing your teeth, for the next year, would we? ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back