Player Watch Ben Keays - Signs on til 2027

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not, but then he's not depth at the moment. He's a starting player every week and in our leadership group.

He's probably not on big coin, either. Middle-of-the-road player on a middle-of-the-road salary. You need those in a team.

The point was made that 3 years wasn’t an issue because he’ll still be a depth player in that time. If he’s on more than depth player money then that becomes an issue if we’re aiming to contend and keep our young talent together and potentially add some pieces.

Justifying 3 years on the basis that he’ll still be good depth doesn’t work. Either he’s best 22 and contributing well in 2027 or it’s a s**t deal.

Dowling, Edwards, Curtin, Michalanny and Pedlar all come out of contract after 2026. This could well bite us in the arse.

Keays is underrated in a few ways but one thing I haven't seen lauded much is that he's effectively re-invented himself in terms of his role in the team over the last year and a bit. Up until the end of 2022 he was a core midfielder, but with Dawson moving into the middle he lost that spot. It wasn't clear he'd be much good at anything else, and since then he's done some tagging and a few other roles but has effectively slotted in as a half-forward and improved his goal sense, kicking and I think also his hands in close to become quite good in the role.

Keays has 24 goals in his last 18 games, which makes him our third most productive forward in the period (for reference Rankine has 25 in that time and Fogarty 23, Walker has 60) while still averaging 19.6 disposals. Also creates a lot of issues for opposition with his run and is a capable defensive player if needed. Also should have kicked us into a finals spot last year.

Definitely has built an ongoing role for himself.

A lot of people talk about sacrificing for the team, doing what the team needs - but judging by very few do, clearly it’s a lot easier to say than do

As I’ve said many times, the reason it looks like Keays is always at the contest, is because he is, always willing himself harder than anyone to get numbers around the ball.

As a forward he’s using that force of will to press up and down, between the arcs and providing a body to tilt the contest our way

It was him who kicked the winning goal against the swans last year, it was him who took the game saving mark against Carlton.

He’s literally everywhere, and the people who don’t appreciate that don’t realise just how rare that is

And unlike McHenry (who covers more ground than anyone) he knows where and when to go.

The point was made that 3 years wasn’t an issue because he’ll still be a depth player in that time. If he’s on more than depth player money then that becomes an issue if we’re aiming to contend and keep our young talent together and potentially add some pieces.

Justifying 3 years on the basis that he’ll still be good depth doesn’t work. Either he’s best 22 and contributing well in 2027 or it’s a s**t deal.

Dowling, Edwards, Curtin, Michalanny and Pedlar all come out of contract after 2026. This could well bite us in the arse.

No, the point was made that in an ideal world we will find a bunch of quality youth in the next three years to force him out the side. But that could be said for literally any player on a three year contract.

It is clear that the expectation is he will continue to play, presumably in his current role. We have tried so many midfielders in that role and none of them have worked out... except for Keays. That says something.

Even on reasonable coin, this is a good signing on prior form. Heart and soul type who'll grind all day and has found a fair bit of consistency as a 4th-5th forward in our lineup. Equally, not a player I see being under any risk of being replaced in even the mid-term if his form/body holds up.

I doubt in an open market many clubs would have offered him three years. Given it is so early in this season I think two more was all that was needed.

I doubt in an open market many clubs would have offered him three years. Given it is so early in this season I think two more was all that was needed.

Clubs can’t make decisions on the gut feel of random supporters though.

He’s an unrestricted free agent every time he’s out of contract, that alone gives him a certain value to other teams. A free hit for a good player?

I can’t see anyone not offering him a 3rd year if it meant prying him away from us and our measly 2 year deal

No, the point was made that in an ideal world we will find a bunch of quality youth in the next three years to force him out the side. But that could be said for literally any player on a three year contract.

It is clear that the expectation is he will continue to play, presumably in his current role. We have tried so many midfielders in that role and none of them have worked out... except for Keays. That says something.
It should say to stop trying midfielders in that role and draft an actual forward to play it, but our recruiting team on the other hand 🤯

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back