Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree he will play lots midfield but our forward line isn't anything special Gunston & Bruest aside.
So you’re saying that if we take out our two AA forwards that our forward line isn’t anything special. Oh man.

So you’re saying that if we take out our two AA forwards that our forward line isn’t anything special. Oh man.
I think the finals showed we needed a third star up there. Quality coaches and defences put alot of work into Punky and Gunno couldnt do it by himself. Chad or Cyril woulda made a massive difference up there.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I think the finals showed we needed a third star up there. Quality coaches and defences put alot of work into Punky and Gunno couldnt do it by himself. Chad or Cyril woulda made a massive difference up there.

We were limited in a lot of ways. No Stratton meant Sicily was zero chance of sneaking up the ground. No JOM meant our rotations were down, on top of an injured Tom. Injured Burgered meant we lost out in many places - as he can be MrFixit at either end.

Chad, JOM, Scully, Stratts and Lewis into our finals team and I reckon we’re anywhere between a 5-10 goal better side.

We were limited in a lot of ways. No Stratton meant Sicily was zero chance of sneaking up the ground. No JOM meant our rotations were down, on top of an injured Tom. Injured Burgered meant we lost out in many places - as he can be MrFixit at either end.

Chad, JOM, Scully, Stratts and Lewis into our finals team and I reckon we’re anywhere between a 5-10 goal better side.

And a fit Mitchell, Burgoyne and Breust. Not to mention Birchall.

Thanks for much, Abasi is just incapable of comprehending that isn't anything pro Hawthorn.

Thanks for much, Abasi is just incapable of comprehending that isn't anything pro Hawthorn.
I’m more than capable bud, I’m just tired of your Bradkli-lite routine.

“our forward line isn’t that special if you disregard the best players we have in that area”.

No s**t Sherlock.

Morning all, been told by Glassy last night that Chad was phenomenal on Kokoda and really led from the front.
Really helped out the young fellas if any were struggling.
Get the feeling Chad has a point to prove.
Also him & Jars are close like brothers, Chad being at the club will get more out of Jarman on field next year.
Exciting times

Morning all, been told by Glassy last night that Chad was phenomenal on Kokoda and really led from the front.
Really helped out the young fellas if any were struggling.
Get the feeling Chad has a point to prove.
Also him & Jars are close like brothers, Chad being at the club will get more out of Jarman on field next year.
Exciting times
Excellent

I’m more than capable bud, I’m just tired of your Bradkli-lite routine.

our forward line isn’t that special if you disregard the best players we have in that area”.

No s**t Sherlock.

All in all I'm just saying our forward line isn't a strength of ours, it's middle of the road, we have 2 quality players in it and decent opposition work out ways to nullify that.

All in all I'm just saying our forward line isn't a strength of ours, it's middle of the road, we have 2 quality players in it and decent opposition work out ways to nullify that.
I remember when Buddy was in red hot form for Hawthorn in the early 2010s, people would argue that if you dismissed the games where he got 5+ goals, he actually wasn’t any good. This is basically your argument with our forward line.

I remember when Buddy was in red hot form for Hawthorn in the early 2010s, people would argue that if you dismissed the games where he got 5+ goals, he actually wasn’t any good. This is basically your argument with our forward line.

No it's completely different. Our forward is better than a select number of sides and worse than a select number of sides, our contested marking inside forward 50 is diabolical.

No it's completely different. Our forward is better than a select number of sides and worse than a select number of sides, our contested marking inside forward 50 is diabolical.
That has been by design we dont do contested marking. Its all about getting the best possible outcomes most of the time. Statistically what we have done in the past has been very successfull

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and yet we were the 6th highest scoring team during the H&A rounds even with a game plan setup to protect our defense

the game isn't played the way it used to be and you shouldn't be comparing our forward line to the one we had with Rough and Buddy and Cyril at their peak because nobody has a line up like that now

that isn't to say we couldn't use more talent there, we've got Wingard this year, the concern is how we replace Rough and Poppy

and yet we were the 6th highest scoring team during the H&A rounds even with a game plan setup to protect our defense

the game isn't played the way it used to be and you shouldn't be comparing our forward line to the one we had with Rough and Buddy and Cyril at their peak because nobody has a line up like that now

that isn't to say we couldn't use more talent there, we've got Wingard this year, the concern is how we replace Rough and Poppy

Couldn't agree more.

The intensity with which we pursued Lynch indicates our need for a tall forward. Other than that, with Gunston, Breust, Wingard and others rotating through there I think our forward line is elite.

My judgements on our forward line were based on before the Wingard addition. I think Wingard will play a 50-50 split between forward / mid as we needed to add quality in both departments.

My judgements on our forward line were based on before the Wingard addition. I think Wingard will play a 50-50 split between forward / mid as we needed to add quality in both departments.

It's interesting, no doubt marking in our forward line is a real weakness.
But were still good, still awfully dangerous up top.
Worpel was a nice addition and could be better this coming year, BB and Cegs caused problems for the opposition when they wandered down or stationed for a while, and loved how Titch would sneak down and make himself available, quality finisher too on the set shot.
Think JOM will kick 20 this year as a mid who breaks off the back of the square and plants some long ones, and reckon we'll find one or two more who announce.

Our fwd line is pretty damned good, as ugly a game style as it sometimes looks getting it to our goal kickers.

Rebound and creativity out of the back, as well as winning first use out of the middle will be the determining factor for mine as to whether we become a top 2 side.
Chad will play a huge part in that, and could be THE difference maker.

Worpel was a nice addition and could be better this coming year, BB and Cegs caused problems for the opposition when they wandered down or stationed for a while, and loved how Titch would sneak down and make himself available, quality finisher too on the set shot.
Think JOM will kick 20 this year as a mid who breaks off the back of the square and plants some long ones, and reckon we'll find one or two more who announce.

Our fwd line is pretty damned good, as ugly a game style as it sometimes looks getting it to our goal kickers.

Rebound and creativity out of the back, as well as winning first use out of the middle will be the determining factor for mine as to whether we become a top 2 side.
Scully and Smith are both goal a game wingers. However both in tamdem and it's probably worth 3 due to the opposition not being able to cover both.

Contested marking is not our strong suit/not our game plan, I think a bit of both is fair, there are times we could take contested marks and don't even attempt it and times we do and fail.

We were 5th in the league for marks inside 50, but 3rd in the league for marks overall. At the same time we were 12th for contested marks. So we are good at uncontested marks, finding space, nothing has changed there.

We were also 5th for inside 50s, so we aren't as terrible converting opportunities into marks in general as we believe ourselves to be, the teams above us in both lists are the teams with more inside 50s

Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond and Melbourne.

So while we may think we suck going forward, we got the ball in there a lot, marked it a lot and kicked goals a lot (6th best offense during H&A)

I think the contested marking issue is highlighted too much because we all would like to see more of it and we remember that one time player x couldn't hold a mark and we lost

Contested marking is not our strong suit/not our game plan, I think a bit of both is fair, there are times we could take contested marks and don't even attempt it and times we do and fail.

We were 5th in the league for marks inside 50, but 3rd in the league for marks overall. At the same time we were 12th for contested marks. So we are good at uncontested marks, finding space, nothing has changed there.

We were also 5th for inside 50s, so we aren't as terrible converting opportunities into marks in general as we believe ourselves to be, the teams above us in both lists are the teams with more inside 50s

Collingwood, West Coast, Richmond and Melbourne.

So while we may think we suck going forward, we got the ball in there a lot, marked it a lot and kicked goals a lot (6th best offense during H&A)

I think the contested marking issue is highlighted too much because we all would like to see more of it and we remember that one time player x couldn't hold a mark and we lost

Agree, don't think were bad at it - just think there's a difference with being great at it.
That's the beauty of the Hawthorn footy club's great premiership winning/threatening teams.
They played scorching attacking footy, and sometimes brutal defensive footy, whatever was necessary.
But the style was glorious amongst the forwards, some of the greatest ever marks of the Sherrin ripped it apart in both regular and the biggest of games wearing brown and gold.

Don't think it would be unhealthy to find more marking forwards, and better systems of getting it to them so that goals are less of a struggle to manufacture and more of a tidal wave that other teams can't stop.

I'd rather we averaged 100 pts and gave up 80, than average 80 and give up 60.
Too much pressure being perfect down back and never letting an opposition great player off the hook, rather than being impossible to stop yourself.

Nice article from Foxsports on Chad here. Not even behind a paywall! :)

Gives some insight into his transition to Melbourne, his relationship with Jarman Impey and his experience at Kokoda.

I like the sounds of Chad off a HFF, he can run through the midfield but he doesn't need to be there constantly - good decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back