Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Chad Wingard. 200 games! Signed to the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Put him on ice for the year. The bloke clearly wasn’t/isn’t fit enough and 3 soft tissues says that.
He needs to have the pre season of his life this off season because he’s been very disappointing thus far.

I’m aware he’s the cream but when things arent on our terms he needs to do more.

Its a worry when your 37 year old recruit from Port Adelaide moves, plays and looks fitter than your highly touted, highly paid 25 year old recruit from Port Adelaide....
Eatly days but lets face it Sculley was coming back from a much worse injury than Chad and has a much better year.

Its a worry when your 37 year old recruit from Port Adelaide moves, plays and looks fitter than your highly touted, highly paid 25 year old recruit from Port Adelaide....
Eatly days but lets face it Sculley was coming back from a much worse injury than Chad and has a much better year.

He's clearly come across in poor condition. Every time we try to ramp up his midfield mins, he breaks down. Sounds like another great of our 3 peat team.

We'll rehab him, but then have to watch his mins up the ground. Means he'll go cold in games up forward, like he has all season.

This could take 2 years before we see him as a permanent mid. We literally have to re-condition him.

He's clearly come across in poor condition. Every time we try to ramp up his midfield mins, he breaks down. Sounds like another great of our 3 peat team.

We'll rehab him, but then have to watch his mins up the ground. Means he'll go cold in games up forward, like he has all season.

This could take 2 years before we see him as a permanent mid. We literally have to re-condition him.
Unfortunately that rings true. Not sure that a 3 year rehab is what you expect to get for a first round pick, player and 750k a year though :(

Not sure that a 3 year rehab is what you expect to get for a first round pick, player and 750k a year though :(
The figures I heard thrown around were a fair bit less than this...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two calf injuries & two hammies in the same year means either Chad's fitness is well below par or his body is cooked. Right now the trade is a massive bust, I'm content to remain optimistic to some extent but the signs aren't good.

From the outside looking in he doesn't seem fully committed to the job, which is pretty poor after moving to a new club. Trading pick 15, pick 35 & Burton for a injury-prone forward pocket is not quality list management, but hopefully Chad can pull his finger out and prove me wrong.

We don't have to do much mate. He has to do it.

He didn't come to us with a history of injuries. He came with a questionable work-ethic. None of this is on Port Adelaide. It's all on Chad. His body is breaking down because he didn't put in the work. Only he can change that and it starts with how he rehabs and how much he wants it.

We don't have to do much mate. He has to do it.

He didn't come to us with a history of injuries. He came with a questionable work-ethic. None of this is on Port Adelaide. It's all on Chad. His body is breaking down because he didn't put in the work. Only he can change that and it starts with how he rehabs and how much he wants it.

He did come with a history of soft tissue. But you're right, he needs to get super fit and his body re-conditioned.

Either way it's bloody frustrating. Our main investment from last year is going to take longer to get going than first thought.

Has been a bust thus far - had we traded for Neale instead we would be Top 4. I hope he seriously gets his fitness and act together.
Makes me think that character / professionalism of a potential draftee should carry juat as much weight as their natural talent.
As an example trading for Mitchell was always a low risk trade as baring freak accidents (broken leg) he is such a professional his body and approach to the game will always be 100%.
On the other hand trading for talented players with a less than stellar history in regards to their approach to the game (as Freo did with Bennell and dare i say it Hawthorn has done with Chad) has the potential to end in tears.
AFL is such a tough gig you can only skate by on natural ability for so long. Players like Burgers last so long not only due to their genetics but also their elite prepartion, nutrition, etc.

Or has he never really put in enough work? A player of his age (ie in prime) should have enough of a training base to bounce back over time from a few injuries. He’s had zero impact other than his first game.

I’m not convinced he has the body to be a full time mid - he’s barely ever played there (other then a short (possibly overrated) burst at end of last season). If we have to rebuild him then shows we stuffed up our diligence.

Let’s hope he comes good, as will be a pretty painful failure given he didn’t really fill a need and the high price we paid (in a super draft year and with a list crying out for young talent).

Easy to punt a bloke when he's struggling but this Wingard deal has got hairs all over it.
Burton plus pick 18 (Duursma) and pick 35 (which i think became Tom Berry at Brisbane) is a ton of currency to pay.

Whatever's wrong needs to fixed fast or this is gonna get harder and harder to defend.

Or has he never really put in enough work? A player of his age (ie in prime) should have enough of a training base to bounce back over time from a few injuries. He’s had zero impact other than his first game.

I’m not convinced he has the body to be a full time mid - he’s barely ever played there (other then a short (possibly overrated) burst at end of last season). If we have to rebuild him then shows we stuffed up our diligence.

Let’s hope he comes good, as will be a pretty painful failure given he didn’t really fill a need and the high price we paid (in a super draft year and with a list crying out for young talent).
No matter what happens from here (if he comes good or not) I have to agree with this, he didn’t really fill one of our particularly urgent needs and Wingard is really the icing when we haven’t even got the cake.. I suppose you can’t just bring every player you want into the club but quite an un-Hawthorn like move from the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back