Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Find a lot of those facilities to be a gratuitous waste of time and money. Can guarantee they wouldn't get better results than some bloke working out of his garage with a rack and some therabands. There's this obsession with making sports science seem like a proper science with high tech gadgets because it appeals to the big sports clubs and players with more money than sense.

Be patient. Jiath is a talent his time will come. Daniels at the Giants missed many games due to constant Hamstring issues but has come good. Very frustrating for the lad though.
It's just so sad. Whenever he gets close to a recall, something else literally pops up, or out. Groin, hammy, quad. He's almost 25 now. So much time wasted with injury, that it's only natural to ask questions. AFL is a tough gig. I just don't trust the durability of either CJ's or Lewis' bodies. If they play, it's a bonus.

Last edited:
The problem is that the accumulative effect of all these soft tissue injuries is that when CJ does eventually get back to the field his body will be lacking the conditioning players can only get from playing. Which will then lead to a higher probability of another soft tissue injury.

Its like any physical job (Brickie, Chippy, etc) if you keep doing it day in, day out your body builds the muscles required to do it. Or to use an AFL term "match hardened".

The same issue Chad has had unfortunately, the less time he got to spend on field meant the higher probability he would get injured when he returned.

A real Catch 22.

Such a pity as he seems a really nice dude who I am sure is giving it 100%.

It's terrible that he's going through this injury crisis. Sure, he might not have the greatest or most efficient ball use; some say he's not a great defender, and unfortunately, some say he's just a hack who’s only there because of his colour and ethnicity. But I think that couldn’t be further from the truth. For me, he's still in our best 22. And I think he's a very important part of our future.

In my opinion, we are at our best when Changkuoth Jiath is given the freedom and license to run and go nuts. Look at what he did in the first month of 2021. It was some of the most exciting football I've watched. The prospect of a partnership between him and Weddle, whether that be at halfback or on the wings, excites me greatly.

CJ at his best = Hawthorn at its best

It's terrible that he's going through this injury crisis. Sure, he might not have the greatest or most efficient ball use; some say he's not a great defender, and unfortunately, some say he's just a hack who’s only there because of his colour and ethnicity. But I think that couldn’t be further from the truth. For me, he's still in our best 22. And I think he's a very important part of our future.

In my opinion, we are at our best when Changkuoth Jiath is given the freedom and license to run and go nuts. Look at what he did in the first month of 2021. It was some of the most exciting football I've watched. The prospect of a partnership between him and Weddle, whether that be at halfback or on the wings, excites me greatly.

CJ at his best = Hawthorn at its best
Scrimshaw and Jiath playing together at their best was insanely good to watch, aerially brilliant, the dash and confidence they fed off each other. It was almost impenetrable especially when Day was down there and also had Sicily who came back and dominated. God it was beautiful.

Can’t wait to see him back.

Will have a big impact on our ball movement, and allow others to get off the chain.
Really miss seeing CJ running off the half back line with those big one fisted spoils. Also can't wait to see how he does in the same team as Weddle. That's some serious running power with those 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he will need more than a week at BHH. Probably not in our best 22 anyway. Has always had under-par defensive capability and the opposition have worked him out. Never forget round one last year, when some media nuffies put him in our best after a cracking goal... err, except his direct opponent in that system kicked five on him in total (three different players)
Sicily spent the last quarter sending him the "dagger eyes" like only Sis can. lols

Anyone have an update how he played at Box Hill today?
Phenomenal first quarter, played well enough the rest of the game. Died out a bit along with the rest of the squad in the last half but did enough to help us hold on.

Only played 3qtrs
Thought for sure I saw him in the last, which is not great for me if he wasn't on field. Not exactly easily mistaken for anyone else on our list.

I may need to finally use the optical on my insurance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back