Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn, Changkuoth Jiath - 2017 category B rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Will CJ have learned enough about playing wing to play round 1? Wing requires a lot of discipline re structures and quick thinking to get into right positions - not areas of historical strengths of CJ. He also hasn’t played a heap of footy the last two seasons (only 22 games).

He might do some flashy things going forward but risk a good/smart opposition wing would carve him up the other way. At same time wing is a hard role at BH - often gets bypassed on smaller grounds.
The thing with CJ is that his running capacity will have to be respected by the oppo winger or they'll never catch him. This obviously goes both ways so he'll definitely still have to be more accountable of his opponent. This will be the first time CJ has had a capable forward line to use his extraordinary run a carry to deliver to. In the past the majority of the time he's used that run and had his kicks i50 chopped off and rebounded right back past him. Yes he needs to clean up his delivery i50 and if he does then we'll have a really exciting weapon on our hands that can turn defence into offence with the flip of a switch. I'd hate to be the guy manning him up cause your hammy's will be feeling it by the final siren. Did anyone else notice he's added a fair bit of upper body strength?

Qatar is a weird place. Built from oil money on a desert peninsular. Totally artificial yet weirdly exotic. I can only guess that the array of sport's science talent assembled their is because the emir of Qatar has a quirky love of sport.

When I was there over a decade ago they were preparing for the World cup. The emir's second wife loved horses so they were also building an arena the size of Marvel Stadium with hundreds of stables for equestrian events. Totally air conditioned and a TV in every horse stall (for the horses, not the stable hands)!!

Qatar is trying to pivot from being a petroleum based economy to a tourist/service based economy. They are heavily investing in recruiting the best of the best in medicine/allied health.

The thing with CJ is that his running capacity will have to be respected by the oppo winger or they'll never catch him. This obviously goes both ways so he'll definitely still have to be more accountable of his opponent. This will be the first time CJ has had a capable forward line to use his extraordinary run a carry to deliver to. In the past the majority of the time he's used that run and had his kicks i50 chopped off and rebounded right back past him. Yes he needs to clean up his delivery i50 and if he does then we'll have a really exciting weapon on our hands that can turn defence into offence with the flip of a switch. I'd hate to be the guy manning him up cause your hammy's will be feeling it by the final siren. Did anyone else notice he's added a fair bit of upper body strength?
Agree, looking at what he can do - elite speed and ridiculous endurance coupled with his overhead ability - and yes he might get burned a couple of times with strructures and smart footballers exploiting him the other way. But the pluses for mine outweigh the minuses and if you get enough pluses on any given day you win.

Plus i pity the fool having to kick long late in a game having chased him up and down that wing all day!

Oil rich is so much more frivolous than normal rich, because you don't need to be innovative to keep the money coming in you just need oil. It's as close as any industry gets to the frivolity of government spending.

Government spending doesn’t hold a candle to a few industries I’ve been around. Not even in the same hemisphere.

Agree, he definitely needs to be far more consistent with his inside 50 delivery. That is not to say he is the only bloke who does not deliver. If we clean this up in general, we are going to be a dangerous team.

Last edited:
Agree, he definitely needs to be far more consistent with his inside 50 delivery. That is not to say he is the only bloke who does not deliver. If we clean this up in general we are going to be a dangerous team.

Definitely. I go back and forth on which contributed more to our i50 woes last season, the delivery or the forward line action. It's a bit of both, obviously, as the mids learn to pick the shot faster and deliver accurately while the forwards were a mess with too many injuries, too few reliable talls and too much inexperience.

I'm very nervcited about this season, like a kid before Christmas. Could it click and go off like a rocket? Yes, it could. Could it be another year of development this time filled with a lot of "Oh, man, so close!" instead of "Well, that was a bit of a mess."? Yes, more likely.

Anyways, I'm very hopeful. Last year I was thinking this team may have some promise and I'll be able to celebrate the small, unexpected victories. This year I may be celebrating some much bigger victories. A good time to be a supporter when they are on the up from the lowly bottoms.

In Sam's system, if you have a particular skill that's at an extremely high level, he'll amplify it.

CJ has so many of those attributes - line breaking ability, speed, intercept marking - while we focus on what he can't do, I think Sam is licking at lips at what he can do. I think he's in for an enormous '24.

I'm fairly confident our next finals side is going to rely on both Weddle and Cj.
If Cj comes back having improved/grown since his last appearance we are going to be laughing.
This isn't a laughing matter.

Spewing at the news today. He has rehabbed it like an absolute pro and is still at this point.

For the somewhat older fans among us, when Cyril was in a similar spot with his hammies, I recall the club went about reinventing the way he ran to put less pressure on his hammies. Wonder if something similar could apply here?

Yeah groin was the problem wasn’t it ?
Is it not possible that the groin issues haven’t quite resolved themselves and the hamstrings have had to carry greater load as a result?

Similar to a “back-related” hamstring, if you know what I mean.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully on the minor end, and just some awareness or tightness.

I was really looking forward to having him back.

Hope he and the club ask for a refund from that Dubai trip.
Find a lot of those facilities to be a gratuitous waste of time and money. Can guarantee they wouldn't get better results than some bloke working out of his garage with a rack and some therabands. There's this obsession with making sports science seem like a proper science with high tech gadgets because it appeals to the big sports clubs and players with more money than sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back