Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn: Josh Ward. Extends to 2025!

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Ward (29 disposals, seven marks, seven clearances, five inside 50s, four tackles)

“Wardy returned back to the group and played as an inside mid all day which exposed him to some really good stoppage craft and exposure in that space. He had some really good moments where his work rate was really evident, including his ability to get back and support the defence and help start our offence chains, which we know is a real weapon of Wardy’s. He will continue to work on his inside craft which is probably the biggest growth for him from the game, we are really happy with how he is working on that and we will continue to develop that in his game.”

Josh Ward (29 disposals, seven marks, seven clearances, five inside 50s, four tackles)

“Wardy returned back to the group and played as an inside mid all day which exposed him to some really good stoppage craft and exposure in that space. He had some really good moments where his work rate was really evident, including his ability to get back and support the defence and help start our offence chains, which we know is a real weapon of Wardy’s. He will continue to work on his inside craft which is probably the biggest growth for him from the game, we are really happy with how he is working on that and we will continue to develop that in his game.”
Really makes me smile reading this! Good on you, Josh.

It's actually a good thing he's at BH - it means he gets an extended run in the guts and some great direction on how to improve his inside game.

I'd leave him there for a few weeks to really get some continuity on ball, and then unleash him in the seniors.

It's just such a bummer Box Hill have a bye this week.

I'm trying to find a spot for him against Port Adelaide just so he keeps continuity!

No. 7 draft pick - 2021.
Fast forward 2024 - he’s playing for Box Hill.
With the coaches giving him positive reinforcement but saying he needs to work on his inside craft.
Isn’t that code for going in harder?

No. 7 draft pick - 2021.
Fast forward 2024 - he’s playing for Box Hill.
With the coaches giving him positive reinforcement but saying he needs to work on his inside craft.
Isn’t that code for going in harder?
Its not he has been working on his outside game ever since he came into the side. He is lacking a bit of confidence so box hill will be good to build his confidence

Vibes a little similar to Sam Flanders development.

Drafted as a high touted inside midfielder. Talent obviously there, but performances just hadn't quite come together over his first 2-3 seasons. Found it hard to land a permanent midfield role in front of more favoured/experienced midfield unit.

In Flanders 4th year (2022), his disposal count and impact on games started to lift.
He's currently he's in his 5th year and is averaging close to 30 disposals and 120 SC points (of which I know neither are brilliant measures.

For these exceptionally talented midfielders, it can happen quickly when given the opportunity!

Vibes a little similar to Sam Flanders development.

Drafted as a high touted inside midfielder. Talent obviously there, but performances just hadn't quite come together over his first 2-3 seasons. Found it hard to land a permanent midfield role in front of more favoured/experienced midfield unit.

In Flanders 4th year (2022), his disposal count and impact on games started to lift.
He's currently he's in his 5th year and is averaging close to 30 disposals and 120 SC points (of which I know neither are brilliant measures.

For these exceptionally talented midfielders, it can happen quickly when given the opportunity!

Not sure how much they correlate directly. Flanders was drafted as an explosive forward with the potential to move into the midfield, likened to JDG, Petracca, etc.

He showed he could be a quality midfielder in the second half of last season. But this season he has been moved to the HBF after the first few rounds. His CBA's for the season - 15, 12, 10, zero, zero, zero, 3, 8, zero.

I think Flanders has become a very versatile player now.

Not sure how much they correlate directly. Flanders was drafted as an explosive forward with the potential to move into the midfield, likened to JDG, Petracca, etc.

He showed he could be a quality midfielder in the second half of last season. But this season he has been moved to the HBF after the first few rounds. His CBA's for the season - 15, 12, 10, zero, zero, zero, 3, 8, zero.

I think Ward could play the Amon role really well if that's how we chose to develop him.

Still hoping we try him as one of the 'main men' in the midfield, but with his kicking ability, I wouldn't be against him getting it 30 times coming out of defence!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ward is currently poor at contested ball.
So he needs to...
A. Find plenty of open play football. He has done this in the past.

B. Use the ball well and hurt the opposition.

So far this season he is doing neither at AFL level.
He is capable. Will he find his groove?

I think Ward could play the Amon role really well if that's how we chose to develop him.

Still hoping we try him as one of the 'main men' in the midfield, but with his kicking ability, I wouldn't be against him getting it 30 times coming out of defence!

Yeah I'd love for the team to funnell the ball through him as much as possible.

Ward was an excellent inside/outside midfielder at TAC level. IMO that has to be his primary role at AFL level. But the issue for him is that there are several players ahead of him and two of them can only really play the inside midfield role (Nash and Worpel).

He is lacking a bit of confidence so box hill will be good to build his confidence
I feel he has the capacity to take the game on, and be so much more dynamic...but he is 'playing it safe' for want of a better word.

He is only 20...

I do feel it's more a psychological thing with him at the moment, not physical or skill limitations...

If he can break out, I see a very "Sam Walsh"-like player lurking within...

Last edited:
I feel he has the capacity to take the game on, and be so much more dynamic...but he is 'playing it safe' for want of a better word.

He is only 20...

I do feel it's more a psychological thing with him at the moment, not physical or skill limitations...

If he can break out, I see a very "Sam Walsh"-like player lurking within...
Plays within himself, focuses too much on structure and seems an over thinker of such, rather than playing his game and backing his ability he tends to focus on the role he self pigeonholes himself to.

Agreed. Flanders was seen more as a forward who could pinch hit in the midfield, but with his improvement in 2023 and the change of coach in 2024, he's now relishing a different set of roles and his output is brilliant.

GC have kept faith and moved Flanders around to find spots which suit him as a he has matured into senior footy.
No reason we shouldn't do the same with Ward.

A 20 year old who's been played out of position but let's not forget, from memory he had a couple of head knocks as a junior and then in his second year at Hawks leading to concussion so, maybe he's just a bit hesitant in what he really is capable of, and that's to play as a true inside mid. Once he breaks the shackles and gains confidence, he'd be right to go.

What did u provide as ure evidence?
Evidence? We're not in a courtroom. Just watching and evaluating. Morrison been with us for a number of years and he's been playing with Box Hill. So has Ward, he has time on his side but he doesn't appear strong enough, quick enough or dynamic enough. I hope l'm wrong but I just can't see it.
What did u provide as ure evidence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back