Player Watch #34: Jack Graham

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
More pressure on this guy than Shai Bolton I feel.... Hopefully has an impact
wouldn't think so... pressure comes with your selection in the draft...

Higher the pick the higher the expectation, the more comparison to other high selections etc.
Supporters may expect the same of a lower selection, but the angst and pressure if they don't succeed isn't as high, hence less pressure

Look at McBean, he was the savior in supporters eyes but being a low selection, no-one really cares too much that it hasn't worked out. Yet look at Tambling and Conca, both have greatly superior AFL careers to McBean yet everyone thinks Tambling was a massive bust and a lot dont think Conca will work out (I think it will however).

Draft placing will in the end always determine outside pressure.
The pressure the individual feels is a totally different story!

Thing in Graham's favor right now is that he is about 6th in line for the inside mid spot. If he does play AFL in 2017 it will be a second or third rotation. So he gets less attention and a freer shot at getting to footy.

Love to see him play some good AFL footy. He has the most immediate readiness of all our 2016 picks. If he comes on quickly it just adds to an area we had very little depth until the last trade period.

wouldn't think so... pressure comes with your selection in the draft...

Higher the pick the higher the expectation, the more comparison to other high selections etc.
Supporters may expect the same of a lower selection, but the angst and pressure if they don't succeed isn't as high, hence less pressure

Look at McBean, he was the savior in supporters eyes but being a low selection, no-one really cares too much that it hasn't worked out. Yet look at Tambling and Conca, both have greatly superior AFL careers to McBean yet everyone thinks Tambling was a massive bust and a lot dont think Conca will work out (I think it will however).

Draft placing will in the end always determine outside pressure.
The pressure the individual feels is a totally different story!

Tambling was a bust. And had more opportunities in the seniors than McBean ever did who was a second round pick BTW. Wouldn't call that low.

Both were poor selections as was Conca who most of the recruiting fraternity didn't rate that highly from what I've read. Or it's our development. Or both. Irrespective two are gone and one is extremely lucky to be on a senior list

Thing in Graham's favor right now is that he is about 6th in line for the inside mid spot. If he does play AFL in 2017 it will be a second or third rotation. So he gets less attention and a freer shot at getting to footy.

Love to see him play some good AFL footy. He has the most immediate readiness of all our 2016 picks. If he comes on quickly it just adds to an area we had very little depth until the last trade period.
Agree with this.
I think the real bonus is we only have one pure inside mid in Miles.The other inside mids have mostly pretty adept outside games making them inside /out mids.
One part i disagree with is, while we now have enough inside mids to cater for the senior side we dont have enough overall as we also have a reserves side that needs a lot of inside mids it is here where the depth should be and there should also be plenty in development.
Cotchin, Prestia, Martin, Miles, Caddy are all walk up starts and there is room for another like Graham. If this is the case what is left for the seconds?
It is this failure to look past the senior team that has me always pull my hair out when it comes to list management.

Great inside depth would be say in the ressies and this is just a quick of the top of the head example.

C: #### - Barlow - ####
R: Nankervis - Koby Stevens - C Ellis not sure about Cory being an inside mid

Int: J Steele - Blakeley who i would have given my right arm to get.

I used three blokes who went really cheap from other clubs Barlow, Stevens and Steele went with a future second rounder, and a kid i wanted us to take in the 2014 nd Blakeley. they would all be pushing hard for games in fact Blakeley and Barlow would probably be lock ins, and they would make our reserves side formidable, this is the sort of depth we need to look for. In fact blokes like Caddy, Miles and Graham and others are not guaranteed a game two or three or even 4 injuries and you stay competetive in this area, and you do it on the cheap and quickly.

Yep imo we do not have great inside mid depth we have enough to get by with for now just.

What's all this talk of sending him to the backline? No. Just no. Please.

You know it's what we do.
We draft them in as something but try and convert them to something else.
I would say it's bleedingly obvious that he is an inside midfielder, but I would suggest it was bleeedingly obvious Morris is not a forward pocket, Riewoldt is best left kicking goals etc.
I put it out there as half being cynical, but it's a real chance given what we do with players.

I would say it's bleedingly obvious that he is an inside midfielder, but I would suggest it was bleeedingly obvious Morris is not a forward pocket, Riewoldt is best left kicking goals etc.
I put it out there as half being cynical, but it's a real chance given what we do with players.

What if it happens and he does really well in the role ?? :eek:

What if it happens and he does really well in the role ?? :eek:

It would be a first given we have succesfully coverted so many other backs to forwards, forwards to backs, midfielders to forwards etc.
I could be wrong, but I reckon the worse thing for a kid's development - stepping up to elite level - would be throwing him in at the deep end and getting them to learn a new position after years playing elsewhere.
Doesn't make for a smooth transition.
I give you Exhibits A and B .... Brandon Ellis and Reece Conca.
Anyone really think their defensive skills are anything but sub-par for having been groomed in defence early?
The crown rests!

I hope not. He won the Larke medal as an inside midfielder. That shows to me that he has the ability to make it big as an inside mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm from Adelaide as some know, i met someone yesterday that knows Titch, Oleg and Jack personally through NorwoodFC, was a RFC supporter also so it was pretty cool, as we started chatting about the players he was talking about Jack saying that he is a Very good player and would have went higher in the draft but injuries throughout the year prevented him on doing tests properly, he started playing league football at 16 and got suspended in his first game because he refused to get pushed around LOL, he said the boy can most definitely play football.

Anyways he believed that he was going to be a great player or at least didn't doubt that he had the potential.

Last edited:
We drafted Ellis as a rebounding defender.

I have a gut feel that Graham will play Round 1 this year.

His pre-season, by all accounts, has been exceptional, and his body is ready to go in terms of size and strength.

Will be a gun imo! :thumbsu:

You have obviously watched him a lot as a junior to make that call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back