Player Watch #50 Marlion Pickett

Remove this Banner Ad

The Pickett story at this stage is only a VFL one. He’s way off the pace at AFL level and serviceable at VFL. He still maybe not fully up to fitness and resembles a diesel tractor. Townsend looks faster and more mobile and I reckon he’s done at AFL. People saying he should replace Short and Ellis are being unrealistic as he doesn’t cover the ground or run create and release like the other two. Our BL will be slower if he comes in for one of them , with really only Houli as the exit and then you either need a wingman or the other backman to assist.
I think he doesn’t impact games enough and win enough of his own ball and it would be ludicrous bringing him in for anybody with leg speed. His only hope is Graham or Caddy fall off a cliff as they’re his likely replacements, but I think he’s got Buckley’s there. I still have Ross ahead of him and by a long way. Nakkers for Balta only.

Last edited:
The Pickett story at this stage is only a VFL one. He’s way off the pace at AFL level and serviceable at VFL. He still maybe not fully up to fitness and resembles a diesel tractor. Townsend looks faster and more mobile and I reckon he’s done at AFL. People saying he should replace Short and Ellis are being unrealistic as he doesn’t cover the ground or run create and release like the other two. Our BL is will be slower if he comes in for one of them , with really only Houli as the exit and then you either need a wingman or the other backman to assist.
I think he doesn’t impact games enough and win enough of his own ball and it would be ludicrous bringing him in for anybody with leg speed. His only hope is Graham or Caddy fall off a cliff as they’re his likely replacements., but I think he’s got Buckley’s there. I still have Ross ahead of him and by a long way. Nakkers for Balta only.
Probably true, but doesn't he have nice hands and see's the game so well. Needs to put on a couple of kg's with a big preseason and he could be a little Edwards like.

The Pickett story at this stage is only a VFL one. He’s way off the pace at AFL level and serviceable at VFL. He still maybe not fully up to fitness and resembles a diesel tractor. Townsend looks faster and more mobile and I reckon he’s done at AFL. People saying he should replace Short and Ellis are being unrealistic as he doesn’t cover the ground or run create and release like the other two. Our BL will be slower if he comes in for one of them , with really only Houli as the exit and then you either need a wingman or the other backman to assist.
I think he doesn’t impact games enough and win enough of his own ball and it would be ludicrous bringing him in for anybody with leg speed. His only hope is Graham or Caddy fall off a cliff as they’re his likely replacements., but I think he’s got Buckley’s there. I still have Ross ahead of him and by a long way. Nakkers for Balta only.
Yep, it’s true we haven’t seen him at the speed of afl he’s probably a bit faster than Mundy I reckon, but geez he had presence in the last quarter and a half and you could see Nank was trying to get the ball to him.
You could see it in a heaps of our boys they were bloody defiant and refused to accept losing.
I love that sh.t

Yep, it’s true we haven’t seen him at the speed of afl he’s probably a bit faster than Mundy I reckon, but geez he had presence in the last quarter and a half and you could see Nank was trying to get the ball to him.
You could see it in a heaps of our boys they were bloody defiant and refused to accept losing.
I love that sh.t
I think he has reasonable pace and glides over the ground. The space of AFL will suit him, those VFL games are played on ovals where even 30-40 years ago they were deemed small hence no wings, and the speed of the players now are far greater. Such a congested game especially in the first halves when the players are fresh.

Last edited:
he is very classy

that marks was literally nick riewoldt

way better footballer than ellis

He has the skills and I believe will come up to speed perhaps with an AFL preseason under his belt. Not consistent yet though. That play in the highlights reel of him weaving through traffic and going long into the 50....looks great, was great....but I bet he gets done htb if that were AFL.
VFL makes Butler and Menadue look like Eddie Betts, let's not forget.
Here's the thing, if you are telling me he has more upside than Ellis then yeah, he might, with a tank, he is courageous. But if they played on each other tomorrow BEllis would blow him up and get 30 touches.
Ellis will never take a mark like that though, never, doesn't have it in him.
Not quite Nick Reiwoldt.....But not far off....bloody amazing mark!

What are your thoughts on him cracking the senior side next year TI? If we can get him up and running + stack next year is an amazing return for 2 players that cost us pretty much zero!

I think it’s a bit unrealistic to see him play his first game of afl in a finals match (unless injuries force it). Certainly looks like he’ll get games next year, the injury that allowed us to get him also is what’s prevented him from having enough time to get prepped for afl

I wouldn’t call him slow as I can’t recall him being run down however I do agree that thinking he would immediately step up to pace of afl and understand our patterns is fanciful really, funnier things have happened but I’m more inclined to think the vfl final series will be invaluable then add a pre season and he really could press for a game early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn’t call him slow as I can’t recall him being run down however I do agree that thinking he would immediately step up to pace of afl and understand our patterns is fanciful really, funnier things have happened but I’m more inclined to think the vfl final series will be invaluable then add a pre season and he really could press for a game early
Be nice to see him Rag Doll Sam Walsh in the Carlton game!

What are your thoughts on him cracking the senior side next year TI? If we can get him up and running + stack next year is an amazing return for 2 players that cost us pretty much zero!
I’m still uncertain atm on him bc I don’t know whether he’s running at 50-90% or if he’s at full fitness. ATM for a mature aged midfielder he just looks like a serviceable VFL player.
No preseason this year so I think a month into next year will be the time we can make a realistic and honest call on him.

I’m still uncertain atm on him bc I don’t know whether he’s running at 50-90% or if he’s at full fitness. ATM for a mature aged midfielder he just looks like a serviceable VFL player.
No preseason this year so I think a month into next year will be the time we can make a realistic and honest call on him.
Except serviceable VFL players don't have his class. Not saying he should be playing or anything, but a good preseason and he could be very handy next year.

I think he has reasonable pace and glides over the ground. The space of AFL will suit him, those VFL games are played on ovals where even 30-40 years ago they were deemed small hence no wings, and the speed of the players now are far greater. Such a congested game especially in the first halves when the players are fresh.

He does a lot of what Pendlebury does for mine, not the same level of excellence yet, but there are similarities. His lack of pace is an illusion, as you say glides rather than that manic short stepping gait like Ellis. Hard to tell what sort of a tank he has, would think even though he was not playing much of he year, he has had lots of running training opportunities, just not with the ball, which is boring for him. he's such a skillful beast. I'll bet Dimma will be torn for a couple days early this week, and then sanity will prevail :think:

I heard people say he is slow but he isn’t, I watched th replay and he definitely has a burst of speed, has great skills but doesn’t look fit enough to me at this stage.

Yeah, he looked to me to have those first two steps away when he wants then. Composed players often look slow, especially when they get good separation quickly and use that space drawing an opponent for an outlet pass or handball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back