Analysis Well, who would have thought? Pies defeat Giants by 32 points!

Remove this Banner Ad

This Macaffer talk is seriously ridiculous. The answer to this debate is in the middle.

Did Macaffer do his job on the weekend? Yes

Is Macaffer top 22 going forward? No

I doubt anyone could really argue with either of those questions. We clearly saw that he got inside Shaw's head and limited his influence. He did exactly what he had to do and he played his role beautifully for the team. However, he also offered very little offensively.

The only question is whether he plays another game, or he goes straight back out of the side after playing his cameo.

Adelaide has a good half back line with Laird and Smith in particular quite damaging. However, Greenwood definitely has to come back into the side to match up on Sloane.

I also think Marley needs to come back for Betts.

Aish is probably one that will make way....and the only other spot I feel is up for grabs is Macaffer's. So he probably drops out.

In one game, I think Macaffer proved exactly why he was brought back into the team, and also exactly why he isn't part of our future. But there is no denying he did his job, and for that I congratulate him.

This Macaffer talk is seriously ridiculous. The answer to this debate is in the middle.

I doubt anyone could really argue with either of those questions. We clearly saw that he got inside Shaw's head and limited his influence. He did exactly what he had to do and he played his role beautifully for the team. However, he also offered very little offensively.

The only question is whether he plays another game, or he goes straight back out of the side after playing his cameo.

Adelaide has a good half back line with Laird and Smith in particular quite damaging. However, Greenwood definitely has to come back into the side to match up on Sloane.

Aish is probably one that will make way....and the only other spot I feel is up for grabs is Macaffer's. So he probably drops out.

In one game, I think Macaffer proved exactly why he was brought back into the team, and also exactly why he isn't part of our future. But there is no denying he did his job, and for that I congratulate him.
I could argue with your view that Caff only goes forward, he is ok as a midfielder too

Just finished watching the replay again.........Howe was fantastic especially after his below average game last week.

He is pivotal to our defence........as they say defence wins Premierships so I think we have found his spot.

It makes him accountable but also allows him to use his flair more effectively.

Great move by Bucks.
Yeah Howe is an absolute revelation. I have always rated him as a talented and useful player but I had NFI why we recruited him to be honest. It's not just his kicking, intercept marking and rebound game.. his defensive game has also been first class. I'm really admiring his tackling, chasing and spoiling.

This kind of confirmation bias works both ways. In the same way posters like sr36 will only see the negative of my post, much like you did.

Yet all of you seemed to ignore my post on the very first page of the thread. So you all only see what you want to see. I call as I see it and always have. The fact that most choose to spin that as negative is up to them. We're a bottom 8 side and have been for 2 or 3 years. So anyone choosing to be consistently "positive" in that scenario is obviously LOOKING for positives instead of being realistic.

I'm not seeking out negatives, they're currently there.
Actually we've only been bottom 8 last year. Not even bottom 8 at the moment. ;)

Edit: oh we are :( hopefully not for much longer.

Last edited:
Yeah Howe is an absolute revelation. I have always rated him as a talented and useful player but I had NFI why we recruited him to be honest. It's not just his kicking, intercept marking and rebound game.. his defensive game has also been first class. I'm really admiring his tackling, chasing and spoiling.

He is exactly what we have been searching for since Shaw and Leon in 2011.

He is actually a better mark than both of them and his kicking has been first class.

We just have to keep him away from his dog for the rest of the year and he should finish the year of strongly! :p

He is exactly what we have been searching for since Shaw and Leon in 2011.

He is actually a better mark than both of them and his kicking has been first class.

We just have to keep him away from his dog for the rest of the year and he should finish the year of strongly! :p
His marking is just about better than anyones. He's playing at a much higher level of intensity than he did at Melbourne. He's always been able to do good things on the field but now he's with us he seems motivated to do them much more often and is bringing the defensive intensity. Could simply be that he's a Collingwood supporter playing for the club he's always supported. I might mosey on over to the Melbourne board and get their take on it.

His marking is just about better than anyones. He's playing at a much higher level of intensity than he did at Melbourne. He's always been able to do good things on the field but now he's with us he seems motivated to do them much more often and is bringing the defensive intensity. Could simply be that he's a Collingwood supporter playing for the club he's always supported. I might mosey on over to the Melbourne board and get their take on it.
A bit odd but he is a defender with X factor. A pivotal game saving intercept, spoil or kick out, he has done it all since he has been down back. Haven't seen much of his tackling yet but I am starting to think he should be staying back. Especially now the marking up forward seems to be a lot better.

A bit odd but he is a defender with X factor. A pivotal game saving intercept, spoil or kick out, he has done it all since he has been down back. Haven't seen much of his tackling yet but I am starting to think he should be staying back. Especially now the marking up forward seems to be a lot better.
5 tackles on the weekend. Hope he is ok with being played back because that's where we need him. Not what he was promised when he came across though.

5 tackles on the weekend. Hope he is ok with being played back because that's where we need him. Not what he was promised when he came across though.
Pretty sure there was a recent article where he said he was enjoying simply playing a role for the team and getting a lot more ball than he has previously in his career as a consequence. Amazing how an attitude can change towards something like playing position when you're playing for a team you love.

Wow, interesting read the last couple of pages.

Anyway here are my thoughts after watching replay.

Caff did a good job on Shaw, Shaw's influence was limited and a number of his possessions didn't really affect the game.
Sadly, Caff has lost a yard or two and doubt he figures in the team in the long term.:(

Cloke and the forward line. The forward line was very open and the forwards worked very hard keeping it that way drawing their opponents with them. Can't recall any of the forwards being double teamed. (Maybe once in the last quarter?) Apparently Cloke had the most metres gained, he was everywhere.
White played some smart football and he too worked very hard which was a criticism I made of him last time he played.

The players ran hard creating space by spreading, more of this please.
Great team effort

Wow, interesting read the last couple of pages.

Anyway here are my thoughts after watching replay.

Caff did a good job on Shaw, Shaw's influence was limited and a number of his possessions didn't really affect the game.
Sadly, Caff has lost a yard or two and doubt he figures in the team in the long term.:(

Cloke and the forward line. The forward line was very open and the forwards worked very hard keeping it that way drawing their opponents with them. Can't recall any of the forwards being double teamed. (Maybe once in the last quarter?) Apparently Cloke had the most metres gained, he was everywhere.
White played some smart football and he too worked very hard which was a criticism I made of him last time he played.

The players ran hard creating space by spreading, more of this please.
Great team effort
Yeah I watched the game again too

Agree, Shaw had touches but they were mostly ineffectual and he had no where near the impact he had been having weeks earlier

Cloke looked like he was confident again, he looked like he knew certain marks were his

I didn't notice the work of Adams live, but watching it again, he was exceptional and almost played an old fashioned Rover type role.

Blood hell, Grundy was good

Howe's ability to start passages of attacking play from deep in defence is a real weapon, he is a far better player than I ever thought he was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree, Shaw had touches but they were mostly ineffectual and he had no where near the impact he had been having weeks earlier

Cloke looked like he was confident again, he looked like he knew certain marks were his

I didn't notice the work of Adams live, but watching it again, he was exceptional and almost played an old fashioned Rover type role.

Howe's ability to start passages of attacking play from deep in defence is a real weapon, he is a far better player than I ever thought he was
Yep, because I was concentrating more on game plan, bad omission not to point out how hard Grundy also worked. Further completely nullified one of the best ruck in the league. He exceeded expectations where I am happy if he meets the challenge, made it so much easier for our mids.

Last edited:
I have always felt that if Cloke is up and about smashing packs etc, it sort of negates those running backmen like Shaw, we have more confidence in bombing to Cloke, the opposition start to become Cloke conscious and the running backmen have to be more accountable....

I have always felt that if Cloke is up and about smashing packs etc, it sort of negates those running backmen like Shaw, we have more confidence in bombing to Cloke, the opposition start to become Cloke conscious and the running backmen have to be more accountable....
Honorable mention to White and Moore who held their own in the marking contests and also ran back to collect on the wing. It makes passing a lot easier if the tall can pluck them overhead anyway. Immediate play on and bomb it fwd where either 1 or 2 of the talls were waiting worked like a treat. 1 on 1 almost everywhere and we won them.

I think there are extremely valid points here. is Caf best 22 no. we would prefer an Elliott or Swan, and those two would command more respect from Shaw thus have the same negative impact on Shaw's game whilst giving us more offensive weapons then what Caf can offer.

Really agree on Howe. His clean marking in all conditions is a weapon.

Yep, because I was concentrating more on game plan, bad omission not to point out how hard Grundy also worked. Further completely nullified one of the best ruck in the league. He exceeded expectations where I am happy if he meets the challenge, made it so much easier for our mids.
It will really tips the balance if he can do that more consistently. Adams big as well.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay. Disconcerting to see Maxy in GWS colours, on their bench, near the end of the second term. A bitter-sweet feeling. I get it - it's his job, and fair enough. The brief glimpse of him showed he had on his best poker face, but I bet he was smiling inside.
Then you haven't seen Gavin Brown wearing a Carlton polo top? It's quite disturbing.

Then you haven't seen Gavin Brown wearing a Carlton polo top? It's quite disturbing.

Yeah, I've seen that, although Brown was with us for many years in assistant coaching roles, before going over to the dark side.

Maxy is more recent, and it hurts more. He will also return, but just not yet.:D

People are wondering where these performances were at Melbourne, but it is purely a role thing. He is not a better player at Collingwood he is just playing a role that suits his attributes. At Melbourne he was playing as a lockdown defender which does not suit him. This year he is being allowed to use his aerial strengths and his much under rated running game together. This means he gets to a lot of contests as well as rebounding.

The same thing has happened with Easton Wood at the Dogs. Before Beverage came no one really rated him as he was a bland lockdown defender, but Beveridge has allowed him to use his strengths to become one of the most damaging defenders in the game within 2 years.

What's happened with Howe is what I was hoping for from Karnezis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back