AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 7, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW
Data from footywire. To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Soooooo much energy expended. I really don't know you CBF danster168 .

why-do-you-care-who-cares.gif
I didn't care. I'm surprised wce fans felt triggered when I said they should've traded pick 1 for several picks.

2 15 and 17 was meant to be those 3 according to the AFL pundits remember?
That's kinda backwards logic though. You can't apply pre-draft speculation to pick value after the fact.

Besides, WC would've definitely taken McKercher at pick 2 regardless, and I don't think I ever saw a trade that included your Hall and Johnston picks going back to North.

The fact that you think you have a dire need for contested ball winners speaks volumes. You're not drafting for needs at the moment. You're drafting for best available. You don't need contested ball winners anymore than you need mids, forwards, backs and a ruck.
Reid was best available. :$

Obvious play? Should our club be using the Saints formula for winning flags? Let us know if you’ve got any other tips from the famous playbook reaping one flag every 150 years.

Oh come on, the let Ross walk and then get down on our knees to suck him back in is pure genius (if you want to adopt circa 2010 tactics).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need here? It's been ongoing for months, lol.

Bloke has NFI about our list and pretends he's an expert...
The issue is mate and I’ve seen it on social media ect a reasonable amount too, is people being critical of the Eagles not splitting basically towing the line of the Vic Media. Then doubling down on it when they realise they have no idea what they are talking about.

Now we all know that there hasn’t been a detailed analysis from any so called expert that’s main stream in the Vic Media as to why West Coast needed to split and how it would have been a better outcome for the list. It’s simply “I think West Coast should have split because they need more round 1 selections, they need quality and quantity.” Everyone of them was simply looking at the draft pick positions rather than who was available at those picks.

Haven’t seen one person throw up a better result than Reid, Reid, Hall and Johnston. The evenness of the draft after pick 20 was evident for anyone that actually spent some time watching these kids.

Why split and give up access to Reid to basically jump into a part of the draft that becomes a genuine lottery. (Norths teen picks that blew out to 20+) Personally I don’t see a lot of difference in talent between Hall and A Reid compared to Dawson and Goad that Nth took with those picks. Time will tell.

The part where the Eagles were unsuccessful in the draft was to get access to Curtin by using there future 1st. The Eagles were obviously keen on Curtin and saw him as a genuine top 5 prospect.
Obviously parts of our board are split on that, there was definitely a number of posters that wanted the club to retain that future 1st, maybe they are right maybe wrong, again time will tell.

Quality not quantity, yet you're naming a bunch of non 1st round picks as replacements for your aging stalwarts. Plus your trade/FA period picked up some barely best 22 players at other clubs like Brockman and Flynn.

I think you're wildly overestimating your current list if you think you're going to follow the Port rebuild path.

What rebuild path are North following BTW?

Eagles are very likely to follow a similar path as thr Crows and Port. They all are restrained in similar ways academy and father son wise. Draft top 10 kids and look for free agency trades over the next 2 to 3 years to supplement.

List the top 8 kids drafted by the Crows and Port. Then look how far the Eagles have got in matching those drafted kids now, and add two more drafts.

Last edited:
I agree, but it's also a bit silly to claim there's nothing there or that the rebuild only started this year. Three Rising Star nominations this year and plenty of our non first round picks have shown they belong.

Picking up first 22 players for junk draft picks is exactly what we should be doing. Some won't work out - like SPS - but some do - like Jayden Hunt. No one can reasonably expect immediate results but at the same time no one can reasonably think our rebuild is already a failure.

Simo mentioned last week it started three drafts ago with Chesser and splitting that 1st and also got Burgiel who is looking pretty decent after some soft tissue issues in his 1st season.

The Vic media will start waki g up over the next 18 months and realalise we have 22 players under 21 and with a couple of retirement at the end of 2024 we will be close to the youngest list after the w024 draft.

you may have a lot of players under the age of 21, but the only ones that neutrals would take are Hewett and Ginbey.

Chesser, Maric, Jai Culley and Noah Long have potential but are also largely unproven.

Guys like Jack williams, Bazzo I don't think will make the grade.

So yes, I think you definitely should've split the picks.

And got what instead?

You only rated our players taken with top picks. Say the others probably wont make it. THEN say we should split the pick to get more 21 year olds with later picks you yourself dont rate anyway.

So your own comments explain quite clearly why splitting was not the way to go.

As for Garry. You obviously havent followed this idiot for the past 4 months basically pleading the logic behind the Eagles trading pick 1 to his beloved Dees so they could land Harley. Its only been in the media every week since the end of the season. And Gary was getting more and more frustrated every day the Eagles refused to trade. It was most enjoyable watching Gary get more and more frustrated as he didnt get what he wanted to happen.

It was the obvious play wasn't it? WCE fans are really sensi right now I feel for them

Just as much as we feel for the Saints heading towards another period of mid table finishes. Never.bottoming out and never making it to the top.

Will also feel for you guys when Collard heads back West in a year or two for a 3rd rounder. Dumb pick that one by the Saints. Collard a West Coast academy player and a Freo supporter as a kid. Who didnt like the travel during u18 championships and came back home early.

Lol.

What rebuild path are North following BTW?

Eagles are very likely to follow a similar path as thr Crows and Port. They all are restrained in similar ways academy and father son wise. Draft top 10 kids and look for free agency trades over the next 2 to 3 years to supplement.

List the top 8 kids drafted by the Crows and Port. Then look how far the Eagles have got in matching those drafted kids now, and add two more drafts.
North are going the full teardown rebuild, trying to maximize the top end talent through the draft. Primarily focused on drafting midfield and non-KPP types, then attempting to target KPPs through trading (admittedly with limited success). But if you're just mentioning North to discredit my opinion because I'm a North fan, then whatever.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the quality in draftees from Port and Crows in the recent drafting from the Eagles.

I cbf'd going through 8 (weirdly specific number) but Port have Rozee, Butters, JHF, Marshall, Bergman, whereas Adelaide have Rachele, Rankine, Fogarty and Michalanney just off the top of my head as recent draft hits. West Coast realistically have Oscar Allen as a guaranteed star, then a lot of potential but still maybes including Ginbey, Hewett, Long, Hough etc.

Honestly, I'm not trying to have a go at WC, they're on the right track for the rebuild, but a lot has to go right before claiming the list is on the same path as Port or Adelaide.

North are going the full teardown rebuild, trying to maximize the top end talent through the draft. Primarily focused on drafting midfield and non-KPP types, then attempting to target KPPs through trading (admittedly with limited success). But if you're just mentioning North to discredit my opinion because I'm a North fan, then whatever.

I'm not sure where you're seeing the quality in draftees from Port and Crows in the recent drafting from the Eagles.

I cbf'd going through 8 (weirdly specific number) but Port have Rozee, Butters, JHF, Marshall, Bergman, whereas Adelaide have Rachele, Rankine, Fogarty and Michalanney just off the top of my head as recent draft hits. West Coast realistically have Oscar Allen as a guaranteed star, then a lot of potential but still maybes including Ginbey, Hewett, Long, Hough etc.

Honestly, I'm not trying to have a go at WC, they're on the right track for the rebuild, but a lot has to go right before claiming the list is on the same path as Port or Adelaide.

We'll be on the same path in two drafts time.

H Ried, Hewett, Ginbey, Chesser, Maric, B Williams, Hough, Burgiel, Long and Bazzo are the youth just drafted. Will add another 4 or 5 top 20 picks in the next two drafts.

Plus keep adding role players like Hunt, Brockman and Flynn. PLUS throw the war chest at free agents or trades. Just as Port and Crows have done in the past 3 years.

22 players under 21 and half of them the Vic media wouldn't even know.

We'll be on the same path in two drafts time.

H Ried, Hewett, Ginbey, Chesser, Maric, B Williams, Hough, Burgiel, Long and Bazzo are the youth just drafted. Will add another 4 or 5 top 20 picks in the next two drafts.

Plus keep adding role players like Hunt, Brockman and Flynn. PLUS throw the war chest at free agents or trades. Just as Port and Crows have done in the past 3 years.

22 players under 21 and half of them the Vic media wouldn't even know.
Again, not having a go, but that list is largely unproven. Harley Reid is probably a sure thing to be a star, but the rest would need to improve substantially to reach the levels of Rozee, Butters, Rachele, Rankine etc.

The strategy is the right one, but it's way too early to claim the Eagles are already on the same path.

Just having a ton of young players doesn't guarantee success in the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back