Autopsy West Coast v North: Umpiring megathread "how the west was won"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHAHHA HAVE A CRY MATE!!!
Straight out of the scott book.

Maybe you should look at your clubs losing culture, in the meantime.. Feel free to practice your golf.

So glad north didn't make it.

Right, "losing culture".

FFS.

Can North people stop sooking about the umpires?

And can West Coast types try and be a little gracious in victory.

Your coach was always a class act as player and now at the helm, take a leaf from his book.

Even when NM were winning in the 1st, you still had the sense they were just hanging on and doing their best to keep the floodgates closed. NM had a brilliant game plan, but they obviously lacked the talent to do it over 4 quarters.

Clearly, the best sides won on the weekend. Maybe if the Dockers and Kangas held onto their marks and converted their scoring opportunities, things could have turned out a little different.

Small minds, small obsessions, low horizons.
Posted-On-Shock-Mansion3434.jpg

Happens for every club at thier home ground when they have a larger supporter base than the other club they're playing. We've been dealing with it for 30 years when we play away but it's apparently only an issue when it happens at our home ground. ;)

The thing you have to appreciate is that in Melbourne, we don't have home ground advantage any more.

So North has a "home" game against Essendon or the Dogs or St Kilda at Docklands. Where's the advantage?

Melbourne has a "home" game against us at the G. Wowee, last time we were there we won a final.

So when Melbourne fans see Subi, they see home ground advantage we don't have any more. There's also no doubt that the home crowd gets the better of umpiring.

That's not about Saturday, that's a scientific fact that's proven across multiple sports.

It is why I like North having the Bellerive games. We are turning that into a "home ground fortress" in the same way Subi is for you guys.

The issue is that when the Eagles come over to Melbourne, we don't perceive that we're getting a "home ground advantage" in the same way you do at Subi. Because we don't see ourselves as having home grounds.

But WA fans, when they come over, believe in some sort of Victorian conspiracy, so thus see any crappy umpiring as being "against them".

Jeez, even Adam Simpson, who knows a great deal better, was happy to pull the "over east" conspiracy line on why Natanui didn't get AA.

Right, "losing culture".

FFS.

Can North people stop sooking about the umpires?

And can West Coast types try and be a little gracious in victory.

Your coach was always a class act as player and now at the helm, take a leaf from his book.

You've been very good mate, so any sensible response by WC supporters are not directed at yourself, but some of the posts on here are pretty insulting and therefore some of us are just responding because it's getting a bit ridiculous now.
I've been watching the AFL since its inception and I can tell you there's been favourable calls for home teams since day one, and the fact that it keeps getting made into an issue only at Subiaco is just pathetic and smacks of sour grapes. I appreciate your level headed posts as I'm sure others do. All the best for next season.

Margin was 25pts

Take out the soft Shuey free in the goal square = 1 goal
Kennedy soft free = 1 goal
Darling free out of umpires arse = 1 goal
Take out the non waite mark - which lead to an Eagles goal = 1 goal

Cost us 1 goal to Jacobs very close to goal for a trip.

Fair to say the contest could have ended much closer.
Had the potential for a classic and gone down to the wire.
Eagles may have still won or maybe North will but we will never know now...
Please don't dodge the suspension on your main account again.

Thanks.

The thing you have to appreciate is that in Melbourne, we don't have home ground advantage any more.

So North has a "home" game against Essendon or the Dogs or St Kilda at Docklands. Where's the advantage?

Melbourne has a "home" game against us at the G. Wowee, last time we were there we won a final.

So when Melbourne fans see Subi, they see home ground advantage we don't have any more. There's also no doubt that the home crowd gets the better of umpiring.

That's not about Saturday, that's a scientific fact that's proven across multiple sports.

It is why I like North having the Bellerive games. We are turning that into a "home ground fortress" in the same way Subi is for you guys.

The issue is that when the Eagles come over to Melbourne, we don't perceive that we're getting a "home ground advantage" in the same way you do at Subi. Because we don't see ourselves as having home grounds.

But WA fans, when they come over, believe in some sort of Victorian conspiracy, so thus see any crappy umpiring as being "against them".

Jeez, even Adam Simpson, who knows a great deal better, was happy to pull the "over east" conspiracy line on why Natanui didn't get AA.

You have to understand that for us we still have to deal with your home crowds and therefore a home advantage when we play in Melbourne against Melbourne teams. So it's still real for us.
I understand that for you if you're playing against another Melbourne side there may not be a home crowd advantage as such, but with all due respect that's because you are a club that doesn't have as large a supporter base as clubs such as Collingwood.
We played against Collingwood earlier in the year at the G and we lost the free kick count something like 24 to 12 but still won the game, but we expect to lose the free kick count when we play them, so we know we have to work harder for the win.
Obviously when a team loses everyone looks for reasons, but sensible followers of footy know that the best team usually gets the job done on the day, and although umpires dont always help, they're rarely the sole reason for a loss.

You have to understand that for us we still have to deal with your home crowds and therefore a home advantage when we play in Melbourne against Melbourne teams. So it's still real for us.
I understand that for you if you're playing against another Melbourne side there may not be a home crowd advantage as such, but with all due respect that's because you are a club that doesn't have as large a supporter base as clubs such as Collingwood.
We played against Collingwood earlier in the year at the G and we lost the free kick count something like 24 to 12 but still won the game, but we expect to lose the free kick count when we play them, so we know we have to work harder for the win.
Obviously when a team loses everyone looks for reasons, but sensible followers of footy know that the best team usually gets the job done on the day, and although umpires dont always help, they're rarely the sole reason for a loss.

If Saturday's game had been played at the G and we'd got the same start, I think we would have won.

Not because of "the umpires" but simply because we'd have been on more familiar ground, a crowd better tipped to us, a range of factors.

The umpires never decide the result, agreed.

If Saturday's game had been played at the G and we'd got the same start, I think we would have won.

Not because of "the umpires" but simply because we'd have been on more familiar ground, a crowd better tipped to us, a range of factors.

The umpires never decide the result, agreed.

Who knows really, it's all just conjecture. All we know is that it wasn't and we have the grand final we have. I'm just glad we're in it and I can feel for those supporters of clubs that aren't because we've been in that situation enough in the last few years. :)

Just watched the WCE v NM game again and Harvey, the dirty campaigner clearly and intentionally trips Darling at the 8:40min mark of the 2nd quarter.... No free kick paid.

Long time lurker but I had to post on this topic.
The treatment of Fremantle & North Melbourne by the umpires was an utter disgrace.
I'm starting seriously think corruption & match fixing might exist in the AFL.
I believe once prelim final week was announced the AFL had pencilled in a Hawks vs. Eagles grand final ahead of time.
They helped Hawthorn into the granny with some dubious frees and ruined Freo's momentum.
Great feel good story about ''3 peats'' will sell papers and make the AFL more $$
Now as a North member who travelled over to Perth from NSW to see the match.
I felt ripped off and disgusted as did the people I travelled with.

- We were having a great first qtr, all over them admittedly missed some set shots but still had the game on our terms.
- 2nd qtr rolls around and umpires gift shuey the softest of free kicks in the goal square. Much like the soft as butter free against Ballantyne.
- Then umps pull another soft free for Kennedy, two goal swing and momentum back with WCE.
- Waite outmuscles and takes a good contested mark, free against for blocking!? WTF leads to WCE goal up the other end.
- Gibson takes mark in defensive 50, play on leads to Priddis goal...
- Turner pass to Waite in fwd 50, Not 15 play on....
- Swallow gets his head ripped off while standing the mark, play on boys :drunk:
- Game well and truly in the balance, umps pick up a free kick to Darling for absolutely nothing.
- 4th qtr game still on the line if we got a good start, Jacobs has a chance to score close to goal. Gets legged no free! THEN GETS PINGED FOR HTB...
- Then these maggots have the audacity to even up with nothing frees to North in the dying moments to save face.

Make no mistake, this was a manufactured result by the AFL to get the grand final that would make them the most money.
North getting into the GF would have been a disaster for the AFL and they got the memo out to the umps post game.
Gets even more iffy when you have a WA West Coasting supporting umpire with family ties to WCE umpiring a prelim.
I believe the AFL also had an obligation to their major partner Virgin Airlines.
Who would stand to make a lot of money from overpriced flights to Melbourne by WCE supporters.
Not to mention bets of up to $100,000+ were placed on WCE which makes you wonder about a criminal element.

This is a farce and has really ruined what should have been a close finish and a classic prelim.
I'll be boycotting the Grand Final next week, couldn't give a toss about it feels cheap now....
This AFL conspiracy you suspect must have taken a Herculean amount of planning. Congrats to Gill, Mark Evans and Mike Fitzpatrick. After issuing a strict directive to the six field umpires to ensure the Dockers and poor old Roos are not able to win they have clearly spread the web further. From what I saw Ben Brown, Jarrod Waite and Drew Petrie had clearly been gotten at. Their ( now ) clear instructions were obviously to drop as many easy marks as possible and failing that deliberately miss set shots from inside 50. They played their parts to perfection ensuring that North could be kept at arms link. Well doe boys. Well done too young Sheridan and not so young Mzungu who were obviously under AFL instruction to assist With the Hawthorn conspiracy by spilling marks in the back line and handing Cryil a couple of vital goals. The missed set shots of Mayne and Griffen now appear fairly suspicious also, especially given your conspiracy theory and the fact the AFL simply could not have the Dockers ( or poor old Roos ) playing in the GF under any circumstances. As Chris Scott likes to say, "Mission accomplished"

Yours may well be the greatest Post ever lodged on this forum. Your allegations are so deliciously nutty they need analysis from someone with a PHD in cuckoo land. Well done.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are questionable decisions made in every match. It doesn't mean fans of the beaten side should spend the rest of their lives whinging.

Fair few neutrals are getting involved because there were only two games on the weekend and a lot of attention on the games. The umpiring was poor in both games and even the Umpires boss admitted the umpires struggled. I reckon the game could have been very interesting if these decisions didn't affect it but ultimately the Eagles were the better side. Just prefer to not have the query over the game like has happened due to some pretty disappointing officiating.

Fair few neutrals are getting involved because there were only two games on the weekend and a lot of attention on the games.
Fair few North supporters crying about it too.

Why not lose with dignity?

Suck it up and home to improve next season.

The umpiring was poor in both games and even the Umpires boss admitted the umpires struggled.
That's a particularly self-serving reading of his comments.

He also described the reaction to the umpiring as "irrational". Why didn't you mention that part?

I reckon the game could have been very interesting if these decisions didn't affect it but ultimately the Eagles were the better side. Just prefer to not have the query over the game like has happened due to some pretty disappointing officiating.
Platitudes.

North were overrun after quarter-time.

Last edited:
Fair few neutrals are getting involved because there were only two games on the weekend and a lot of attention on the games. The umpiring was poor in both games and even the Umpires boss admitted the umpires struggled. I reckon the game could have been very interesting if these decisions didn't affect it but ultimately the Eagles were the better side. Just prefer to not have the query over the game like has happened due to some pretty disappointing officiating.
we were robbed of 4 goals

Fair few North supporters crying about it too.

Why not lose with dignity?

Suck it up and home to improve next season.

That's a particularly self-serving reading of his comments.

He also described the reaction to the umpiring as "irrational". Why didn't you mention that part?

Platitudes.

North were overrun after quarter-time.

The umpiring was an issue, whether supporters cry about it or not, it has been very much considered to be the worst umpiring weekend of the season. And it did have a potential affect on both finals. As I said above, I think in both games it wouldn't have affected the result, but in both games the decisions potentially affected momentum. Just not a good thing to have.

As for Campbell's comments, of course the responses to the umpiring were over the top, this is an emotional game, but he has no more ability than you or I to understand the ramifications of the poor decisions and I think footy fans have every right to expect very clear decisions to be officiated correctly. As Robbo said today, they weren't 60/40, they were 80/20, 90/10 type decisions. Also, the HS article I read mentioned nothing of that quote.

Last edited:
I guess Petrie's late hit on Ellis i think it was has gone un-noticed

There are probably 10 or 20 things you can pick up for either side that could go either way. I think what gets supporters up in arms are the clearly wrong decisions. That is what has been picked up, not the iffy kicks. You could probably give a free kick in every marking contest if you really want to.

Jakovich would have given away 10 goals to Carey every game if there was a letter of the law approach.

This AFL conspiracy you suspect must have taken a Herculean amount of planning. Congrats to Gill, Mark Evans and Mike Fitzpatrick. After issuing a strict directive to the six field umpires to ensure the Dockers and poor old Roos are not able to win they have clearly spread the web further. From what I saw Ben Brown, Jarrod Waite and Drew Petrie had clearly been gotten at. Their ( now ) clear instructions were obviously to drop as many easy marks as possible and failing that deliberately miss set shots from inside 50. They played their parts to perfection ensuring that North could be kept at arms link. Well doe boys. Well done too young Sheridan and not so young Mzungu who were obviously under AFL instruction to assist With the Hawthorn conspiracy by spilling marks in the back line and handing Cryil a couple of vital goals. The missed set shots of Mayne and Griffen now appear fairly suspicious also, especially given your conspiracy theory and the fact the AFL simply could not have the Dockers ( or poor old Roos ) playing in the GF under any circumstances. As Chris Scott likes to say, "Mission accomplished"

Yours may well be the greatest Post ever lodged on this forum. Your allegations are so deliciously nutty they need analysis from someone with a PHD in cuckoo land. Well done.

this is spot on....every fan from every club coould go through every game and find at least half a dozen decisions that went against them.....

the soft 50 m penalties in the first qtr may have kept us in the game, but whats your excuse for the next 3 unanswered goals...?

oh, i know, the umps killed our momentum....please...give me a spell...i bet you the Freo players are not using that as an excuse...

i think the clearest thing to come out of the weekend was the state of our society....and in particular, the behavioral issues on show out West.....stay classy guys

God you WC flogs are terrible winners. You were the better team this year, you're through to the GF. But take a second to look at all the neutral fans in this thread and the game day thread, that is the best indicator. North were utterly reamed on a number of occasions, but what's done is done. Stop being tossers about it.
You're an idiot if you think any of them are neutrals. They all hate the eagles and they all appear in every game day thread ruining it.

There are questionable decisions made in every match. It doesn't mean fans of the beaten side should spend the rest of their lives whinging.

Now who's exaggerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back