Autopsy West Coast v North: Umpiring megathread "how the west was won"

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is spot on....every fan from every club coould go through every game and find at least half a dozen decisions that went against them.....

the soft 50 m penalties in the first qtr may have kept us in the game, but whats your excuse for the next 3 unanswered goals...?

oh, i know, the umps killed our momentum....please...give me a spell...i bet you the Freo players are not using that as an excuse...

i think the clearest thing to come out of the weekend was the state of our society....and in particular, the behavioral issues on show out West.....stay classy guys
Dont you have any "behavioral issues" at your club or on the East?

Long time lurker but I had to post on this topic.
The treatment of Fremantle & North Melbourne by the umpires was an utter disgrace.
I'm starting seriously think corruption & match fixing might exist in the AFL.
I believe once prelim final week was announced the AFL had pencilled in a Hawks vs. Eagles grand final ahead of time.
They helped Hawthorn into the granny with some dubious frees and ruined Freo's momentum.
Great feel good story about ''3 peats'' will sell papers and make the AFL more $$
Now as a North member who travelled over to Perth from NSW to see the match.
I felt ripped off and disgusted as did the people I travelled with.

- We were having a great first qtr, all over them admittedly missed some set shots but still had the game on our terms.
- 2nd qtr rolls around and umpires gift shuey the softest of free kicks in the goal square. Much like the soft as butter free against Ballantyne.
- Then umps pull another soft free for Kennedy, two goal swing and momentum back with WCE.
- Waite outmuscles and takes a good contested mark, free against for blocking!? WTF leads to WCE goal up the other end.
- Gibson takes mark in defensive 50, play on leads to Priddis goal...
- Turner pass to Waite in fwd 50, Not 15 play on....
- Swallow gets his head ripped off while standing the mark, play on boys :drunk:
- Game well and truly in the balance, umps pick up a free kick to Darling for absolutely nothing.
- 4th qtr game still on the line if we got a good start, Jacobs has a chance to score close to goal. Gets legged no free! THEN GETS PINGED FOR HTB...
- Then these maggots have the audacity to even up with nothing frees to North in the dying moments to save face.

Make no mistake, this was a manufactured result by the AFL to get the grand final that would make them the most money.
North getting into the GF would have been a disaster for the AFL and they got the memo out to the umps post game.
Gets even more iffy when you have a WA West Coasting supporting umpire with family ties to WCE umpiring a prelim.
I believe the AFL also had an obligation to their major partner Virgin Airlines.
Who would stand to make a lot of money from overpriced flights to Melbourne by WCE supporters.
Not to mention bets of up to $100,000+ were placed on WCE which makes you wonder about a criminal element.

This is a farce and has really ruined what should have been a close finish and a classic prelim.
I'll be boycotting the Grand Final next week, couldn't give a toss about it feels cheap now....

**** me drunk. Just about the best one yet. 10/10. Have another beer champ. You deserve it :)

This AFL conspiracy you suspect must have taken a Herculean amount of planning. Congrats to Gill, Mark Evans and Mike Fitzpatrick. After issuing a strict directive to the six field umpires to ensure the Dockers and poor old Roos are not able to win they have clearly spread the web further. From what I saw Ben Brown, Jarrod Waite and Drew Petrie had clearly been gotten at. Their ( now ) clear instructions were obviously to drop as many easy marks as possible and failing that deliberately miss set shots from inside 50. They played their parts to perfection ensuring that North could be kept at arms link. Well doe boys. Well done too young Sheridan and not so young Mzungu who were obviously under AFL instruction to assist With the Hawthorn conspiracy by spilling marks in the back line and handing Cryil a couple of vital goals. The missed set shots of Mayne and Griffen now appear fairly suspicious also, especially given your conspiracy theory and the fact the AFL simply could not have the Dockers ( or poor old Roos ) playing in the GF under any circumstances. As Chris Scott likes to say, "Mission accomplished"

Yours may well be the greatest Post ever lodged on this forum. Your allegations are so deliciously nutty they need analysis from someone with a PHD in cuckoo land. Well done.

I stayed away from bigfooty for a couple of days to calm down but my point of view has not changed since Saturday and is shared by most neutrals I talked to, even some serious North haters:

While the conclusion of an AFL conspiracy might be going a little too far, the examples mentioned have been seen by most people watching the game.

Those events had an impact on the game, they diminished the chances for North to win.

West Coast might have won a fair game, but hey, we will never find out.

Never blamed West Coast for it, but defending the umpiring or pretending it was shitty both ways is ludicrous.

West Coast won, but in the eyes of a lot of people it's a tainted win.

And that includes all the out of bounds free kicks. Subiaco is a narrow ground, Eagles play the forward press. I can recall 3 or 4 OOB frees last night because of forward pressure and the Roos being used to a nice wide MCG and they just kicked the ball OOB.

Now last night had some shocking decisions both ways.

Kennedy clear held and pulled backwards in the goal square - no free paid.

Waite takes a a mark but a blocking free paid.......which only the ump saw because it wasn't there.

Waite milked a free throwing himself backwards near the fence.

The accidental trip to Cunnington not paid.

Clear arm chop to Hill attempting to mark........not paid.

Kennedy picking the ball up gets crunched head high front on..........not paid.

Forearm fend to Shuey's neck /jaw by Ziebell - not paid.

People complaining about the Shuey high free need to suck it up, it was there. Accidental but there, just because it was a glancing blow doesn't mean play on. Norths got a similar "softish" but technically there head high late in the game inside 50 for a shot on goal.

The game was won by 25 points and the Eagles kicked 10 goals 20 points. The crap umpiring went both ways.

Rare from Campbell to admit wrong calls - but he has called the Shuey free incorrect - so no it wasn't there.

this is spot on....every fan from every club coould go through every game and find at least half a dozen decisions that went against them.....

the soft 50 m penalties in the first qtr may have kept us in the game, but whats your excuse for the next 3 unanswered goals...?

oh, i know, the umps killed our momentum....please...give me a spell...i bet you the Freo players are not using that as an excuse...

i think the clearest thing to come out of the weekend was the state of our society....and in particular, the behavioral issues on show out West.....stay classy guys
Eagles fans were very well behaved.

The suggestion it was a tainted win is just absurd. Yes, the Eagles got the rub of the green, with a couple of dubious frees that resulted in goals, but there were also one or two in front of goals that weren't paid (JK being pulled backwards by his jumper in the goal square the obvious one). Not quite even, but not the conspiracy some people want to believe.

Logged in this morning to check if the Eagles are still in the Grand Final or if the prelim against North is being replayed.

It should get replayed, the petition that a North fan has done has got over 2000 signatures!!!

Surely that can't be real, link?

Not into the conspiracy theories at all but it was really awkward at half time when Samantha Lane interviewed the AFL executive about all the great things happening for Perth supporters during Grand Final week. I mean half the interview was about the airlines adding thousands of extra seats. It was really weird!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rare from Campbell to admit wrong calls - but he has called the Shuey free incorrect - so no it wasn't there.

Eagles won the free kick count 23 to 18. That's not a big difference.

Watching the game again 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and I counted 4 OOB frees against Norths and 1 OOB free against the Eagles. So can we presume OOB free's are undisputed? ;):cool:

As my post highlight there were plenty of non decisions in Norths favor and several contentious decisions both ways. On balance Norths copped a couple of howlers but the non decisions evened a lot out.

Waite was diving all over the place and totally conned the ref (and initially the commentators) again getting a free. Kicked to Cunnington 35m out and he missed.

Didn't hear too many cries of conspiracy from Roos supporters when they got the better of the umpiring against the Tigers.
A huge dummy spit over 2 free kicks. Lucky the Eagles didn't get the other 4 or 5 that were there in our forward 50.
The Roos would probably get more frees if they didn't flop on the ground every time they get tackled. Umpires stop giving you the benefit of the doubt after a while doing that.

The umpiring was an issue, whether supporters cry about it or not
On the contrary, it's been blown up into an issue because people have chosen to cry about it.

I think in both games it wouldn't have affected the result, but in both games the decisions potentially affected momentum.
So move on and stop complaining about it. There are questionable decisions every week of the season.

As for Campbell's comments, of course the responses to the umpiring were over the top, this is an emotional game, but he has no more ability than you or I to understand the ramifications of the poor decisions and I think footy fans have every right to expect very clear decisions to be officiated correctly.
I don't know what this means.

What are 'the ramifications of poor decisions'?

Don't talk to me about the 'rights of footy fans'. It's just pandering to people's bullshit indignation.

As Robbo said today, they weren't 60/40, they were 80/20, 90/10 type decisions. Also, the HS article I read mentioned nothing of that quote.
Oh, wow. If Robbo said it.

I never said I believe in a conspiracy theory, I doubt a lot people do. Doesn't change the fact that everybody is talking about how North got reamed in the game, I was at a cafe and overheard random people talking about it. Call me a sook all you like, you would be pissed too if you would admit it.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Haha my god. I don't think West Coast have ever won a game fairly. Like ever.
Hangon no he's right. I just checked the results on the AFL website and the game against North has an asterisk next to it which says *Officially a win but totally umpire assisted. Opposition team would have won had game been umpired fairly.

Eagles fans were very well behaved.
We were too busy sipping chardonnay and knitting, don't ya know?

What about concentrating on something other than umpire bashing? Oh I know like the fact LeCras missing 3 gettable set shots on goal, the "Big three" from North collectively kicking one goal, Kennedy smashing Dal Santo in the 2nd qtr to get our first goal, North lucky to be so far in front in the first quarter despite some pretty good footy from west coast, Wellingham getting pinged for "throwing" Pietre? in the 4th I think it was, some great acting from Harvey, oh and west coast into a GF :rainbow::rainbow::thumbsu::thumbsu::)

Not into the conspiracy theories at all but it was really awkward at half time when Samantha Lane interviewed the AFL executive about all the great things happening for Perth supporters during Grand Final week. I mean half the interview was about the airlines adding thousands of extra seats. It was really weird!

But if it was a conspiracy to sell flights, why not also favour the other WA team the night before as well? Makes no sense to favour the Victorian side in that one as they could have really cleaned up with both sets of fans flying over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back