Strategy What to do with pick 1 now we’ve got it - Do We Need Reid or is it Curtins

Keep pick 1, or trade it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had enough of all of these kents already.

Nothing would satisfy me more right now than drafting H.Reid and watch him kick a bag against the tin-rattlers.

And anyone else wanting to entertain splitting the pick in this massively compromised draft needs to give themselves an uppercut as well.

Our clubs have a good relationship at the trade table, evident by what took place last year. I think they'll work together to land North Reid & WCE Curtin.

North ideal scenario - Pick 2 & Ports pick
WCE ideal scenario - Pick 2 & Pick 3 (Mckay compo)

Likely it will be something in the middle.

Pfft nice try.

We'll be taking Harley.

You won't be getting pick 3.

Stop expecting to get something that isn't coming.

What if I proposed a scenario that is that incredible in the horror of imagination and would deem that you're life would normally be diminished.
BUT it is what I'm going to do happily.

I'm going to cheer..barrack for Freo to Win...(NO THAT"S NOT THE GOD AWFUL SCENARIO). IT's going to be in a DERBY .
OH MY GOD I JUST FAINTED.

Just get it done.

‘HYPE IS REAL’: AFL COACH’S HIGH HARLEY PRAISE

There’s a been a lot of high praise for star draft prospect Harley Reid this year, but few higher than Essendon coach Brad Scott’s assessment of the Bendigo Pioneers star.

After winning Vic Country’s MVP award and earning Under 18 All-Australian selection for a second consecutive season, Reid got another taste of state league footy on the weekend, making his debut for Essendon’s VFL side against Southport.

And he didn’t disappoint.

Playing predominantly on the ball, Reid finished with 24 disposals, seven marks, six clearances and five inside 50s in his third VFL game after managing two for Carlton in the middle of the year.

He also pulled off a spectacular mark after soaring over the top of two players on the wing that left commentators and fans in awe.

Scott didn’t see Reid’s performance live – the VFL match was on the Gold Coast and commenced just hours before the Bombers’ clash with West Coast at Marvel Stadium – but liked what he said.

“He looked like a No. 1 pick. The hype is real,” Scott told Fox Footy’s AFL 360.

“He’s a very, very good player – a very complete player. He played in the midfield, had it 24 times, took a really strong mark.

“There’s no discernible weakness in his game … and he’s really level-headed too. There’s been a lot of hype around him – and the hype’s justified – but he takes it all in his stride.”

A versatile 185cm prospect, Reid has genuine power in the midfield and goalkicking ability, which has seen him draw comparisons to AFL superstars Christian Petracca and Dustin Martin.

But the extra asset Reid has is his overhead and intercept marking ability, which was showcased last year as a 17-year-old when he finished with the most intercept marks and best kicking efficiency of any Vic Country player.

Scott, who kept a close eye on the talent pathway system during his stint as AFL football operations boss and witnessed Reid up close when he trained with Essendon in the pre-season, said Reid had genuine x-factor, but added he was simply “very good at everything”.

“He’s a real competitor, but a bit like Michael Voss – what was his real strength? He just needs to win the contests he needs to win, he stands up when his team needs him to,” Scott said.

“Probably my concern for Harley this year was that he was already a level above the Under 18s and would he fall into some bad habits. But I haven’t seen any sign of that.”

Reid’s excellent VFL performance came a week after he returned to local club Tongala and put on a show against Echuca United, booting three goals from 31 disposals.

He’s widely tipped to be taken with Pick 1 in this year’s draft after a stellar junior footy campaign. The question is which club will hold the first selection, with speculation West Coast could be open to trading the pick.

After last week's almost win against Essendon I think Nisbett has give the orders of us been going all in for himself over the clubs needs.

we need to lose the remaining three games to obtain pick 1 for the future but something tells me at this point in the season with pressure mounting on Nisbett and Simmo both have made the decision to get meaningless wins that don't mean anything at this point in the season. Nisbett still screwing the club over. Needs to go asap before we go from having a great hand in the draft to having a shocking hand. We don't care about your future Nisbett. We care about the club's future. Just do the right thing by the club and quit. The board need to grow a set and demand him out. Explains why we are doing everything now for a win. It's Nisbett trying to hang on to his job over the best interest for the club.

Screenshot_2023-08-09-16-06-16-63_a23b203fd3aafc6dcb84e438dda678b6.jpg

After last week's almost win against Essendon I think Nisbett has give the orders of us been going all in for himself over the clubs needs.

we need to lose the remaining three games to obtain pick 1 for the future but something tells me at this point in the season with pressure mounting on Nisbett and Simmo both have made the decision to get meaningless wins that don't mean anything at this point in the season. Nisbett still screwing the club over. Needs to go asap before we go from having a great hand in the draft to having a shocking hand. We don't care about your future Nisbett. We care about the club's future. Just do the right thing by the club and quit. The board need to grow a set and demand him out. Explains why we are doing everything now for a win. It's Nisbett trying to hang on to his job over the best interest for the club.

View attachment 1769044
I highly doubt Nisbett would be demanding wins to keep his job.

More like he doesn't want to the club to be under copious discussion around tanking.

View attachment 1769044

Did you even listen to the interview?

Nisbett’s contract ends next year. He hasn’t asked for an extension and categorically ruled out asking for one. The only detail to be decided is when next year he’s replaced and how that is managed which he said will be something for the board to determine

Whether we win or lose our three remaining games will have no bearing on that. If anything, the pressure on Simpson and Nisbett has subsided over the last couple of weeks. It certainly isn’t mounting

A win would see our draft hand change from 1,19,38,57 to 2,21,40,58 (or 3,22,41,58 if North get a first band compo for McKay) plus our two port picks. Not as good as if we finish last but hardly a shocking hand

It means instead of Reid we get Curtin or McKercher who are both very good players in their own right. The later picks may not change at all in terms of our preferences

I’m not fussed if we lose our last 3 games as I’d rather get pick 1 but not at the expense of the club doing so deliberately as that’s a cancerous mentality.

Wanting to win should be the first priority of any coach or CEO

oh i want to win for sure
d4xpku9-dd0f7b82-d2b6-4d2f-bf15-1ed801df910c.gif

I'm not afraid to say I have no interest in us winning again this year. I'm actively against it.

I'm so excited by the prospect of watching Hewett and Reid combine for the next decade in (hopefully) an explosive pairing that could one day rival a Judd-Cousins for us.

I can see the emotion of the two retirements creating a last round victory to cost us this outcome, though. And yes I'm aware we didn't get up for JK last year.

Does this make me a bad supporter? Maybe. But at least I'm an honest one haha. I have faith our club culture is strong enough to withstand it.

I'm not afraid to say I have no interest in us winning again this year. I'm actively against it.

I'm so excited by the prospect of watching Hewett and Reid combine for the next decade in (hopefully) an explosive pairing that could one day rival a Judd-Cousins for us.

I can see the emotion of the two retirements creating a last round victory to cost us this outcome, though. And yes I'm aware we didn't get up for JK last year.

Does this make me a bad supporter? Maybe. But at least I'm an honest one haha. I have faith our club culture is strong enough to withstand it.
Yeah but North might win one too

A performance like Hurn's 3ooth.

I am hoping that Norf knock off Essendon on Saturday so that I can avoid wanting the Unwashed to win the derby. It feels dirty and wrong

The Marvel game is at 11.45 our time meaning there might be a ray of hope for us to build that buffer zone.

I went to the Freo v Lions game with a Docker mate last Sunday and the Purples were OK. A scrappy game where the Purples focussed on handpassing to their team mates backs and ankles. Take out Young and Jackson and they were average. If I was Oscar Allen, I would be looking forward to that fumbling captain of theirs as an opponent. I cannot understand the logic of overlooking Serong and giving the captaincy to Pearce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TRIGGER WARNING

Article is written by Jon Ralph, who is on the Mt Rushmore of biggest Vic media muppets, which should be warning enough but the article reads like a North supporters wet dream

Here are some highlights:

• “West Coast’s own improved performance has it only a single win away from handing that prized No.1 pick to the Roos — with winnable games ahead against Fremantle, the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide.”

Winnable games apparently yet no mention of Norths games being equally winnable

• “For West Coast, the ability to split pick one and turn it into Curtin and another top-15 pick has massive appeal, given Curtin would give 12-plus years of service as an Eagle.”

Think we need more than just another top 15 pick to take Curtin over Reid

• “They (North) could offer pick 2 and the Power’s first-rounder they have in their keeping (from the Jason-Horne Francis deal) for Reid.”

Gonna take more than that Eyebrows

• “The majority of rival clubs believe the AFL will hand Tasmanian indigenous draftee Ryley Sanders to the Roos as a quasi priority pick by officially linking him to their NGA academy, then allowing North Melbourne to pre-list him.”

The clubs are reportedly pushing back hard against this happening

• “West Coast needs a batch of young emerging stars, not just one player, to turn around its fortunes.”

We’ve got Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, J Williams, Culley, Ginbey, Hewett, Barnett, Burgiel, Long and Maric from our last two drafts and the MSD to add to Reid if we take him. Plus picks 19,34 and 38 in this draft

Definitely more than one player even if they don’t all come good

In a week when Brad Scott declared “the hype is real” after watching Harley Reid’s Essendon VFL display, the chase for the No.1 pick truly kicked into overdrive.
North Melbourne list boss Brady Rawlings tried to drive up the market for defender Ben McKay when he threatened to match below-par free agency offers, clearly hopeful of a No.3 compensation pick as the Roos pursue Reid.

Melbourne continues to assess its draft collateral, given the Fremantle first-rounder it secured in the Luke Jackson trade will likely be the No.4 overall pick, with the Demons dreaming of a Reid-Petracca mid-forward rotation.

And West Coast’s own improved performance has it only a single win away from handing that prized No.1 pick to the Roos — with winnable games ahead against Fremantle, the Western Bulldogs and Adelaide.

And, yet, those same recruiters who have adored Tongala mid-forward Reid for so long have another love-child.

A Matthew Pavlich clone in Claremont’s Daniel Curtin, a 195cm talent being spruiked as the best kid out of WA in a decade.

Victorian small-forward Nick Watson and Tasmanian mid Colby McKercher are still top-five hopes, while Suns academy forward Jed Walter might have even been the No.1 pick if he was on the open market instead of off to Damien Hardwick’s Gold Coast.

But every potential bid for Harley Reid is linked to Curtin in some way, given the left-footer has shown he can effortlessly play as an intercept defender, clever forward or big-bodied mid.

As West Coast prepares to meet him — and clubs like Melbourne and Essendon go ga-ga over Curtin – the question for North Melbourne and the Eagles is whether the brilliant triple-threat fits their needs more than Reid?

In the second-last round of the Under-18 championships. Curtin dominated as a key position defender against Vic Country, hauling in 11 marks to go with 23 possessions and 470 metres gained at 89 per cent kicking efficiency.

In the final game of the carnival, he slotted into the midfield and racked up 27 possessions, eight clearances, seven tackles, 11 contested possessions and five score involvements.

Then, on the weekend, he made his WAFL senior debut, back as a defender, and had 21 touches, 12 kicks – at 92 per cent efficiency – and a million classy touches.

The flow-on effect is significant.

As a top three pick — and some clubs would take him at pick one — Melbourne knows West Coast would never do a trade deal with the Demons that gave away pick one, without guaranteeing they could still take the home-grown star in Curtin.

For West Coast, the ability to split pick one and turn it into Curtin and another top-15 pick has massive appeal, given Curtin would give 12-plus years of service as an Eagle.

The Roos could end up securing pick 3 as Ben McKay free agency compensation, which could hand them picks two and three in the draft yet again.

They could offer pick 2 and the Power’s first-rounder they have in their keeping (from the Jason-Horne Francis deal) for Reid.

But, instead, could they just let Reid go to the Eagles then take Curtin at pick two as McKay’s defensive replacement, and a point-of-difference mid?

Then small forward Nick “The Wizard” Watson at pick 3?

Then also take another elite kid with the Power first-rounder that should fall somewhere between picks 15-18?

The majority of rival clubs believe the AFL will hand Tasmanian indigenous draftee Ryley Sanders to the Roos as a quasi priority pick by officially linking him to their NGA academy, then allowing North Melbourne to pre-list him.

The Roos midfield is already stacked and Sanders is a tough inside mid.

So, if the Roos got their hands on Sanders, it would only strengthen their case to take key-tall Curtin instead of giving the world for yet another mid in Reid, albeit a once-in-a-generation onballer who can push forward.

Interestingly, despite their admiration for Curtin, West Coast are yet to meet the teenager in person, happy to wait until the back-end of the year before their first face-to-face.

But Curtin is a rock-solid individual, who oozes leadership and is sure to win over the Eagles.

Last year, the Eagles split pick 2 for Reuben Ginbey (pick 9) and Elijah Hewett (pick 14) in the Jason Horne-Francis trade.

The Eagles would now believe the Ginbey-Hewett deal was a huge win-win, even if Hewett’s personality was quirky enough that some clubs, including themselves, had to be convinced he would mature in an AFL environment.

He has now found his feet and shown enough flashes of brilliance as a clever mid-forward for the Eagles to replicate that tactic if they can secure a massive deal for the No.1 pick.

GWS could have had a stacked hand for a Reid deal but Harry Himmelberg stayed – so there is no free agency compensation).

The Giants have risen from 15th to eighth, and even their Richmond first-rounder is only at pick 5.

Picks 5 and 10 is a great haul, but probably not enough for Reid, given it won’t get West Coast Curtin.

Amazingly, West Coast were prepared to offer the retiring Luke Shuey another season despite his broken body (he declined) and are happy for Nic Naitanui to play on alongside plus-30s Jeremy McGovern, Jamie Cripps, Jack Darling and Andrew Gaff.

With a new house and strong roots in Perth, key defender Tom Barrass is staying, too, so he won’t secure them a first-round pick as part of their rebuild.

West Coast is keen for ruck support – Essendon’s Nick Bryan and Western Bulldog Jordan Sweet are persons of interest for Adam Simpson’s side even after Bailey Williams’ strong season as the first ruck.

West Coast needs a batch of young emerging stars, not just one player, to turn around its fortunes.

With Curtin in their backyard, there is a powerful motivation to listen to those bids for Reid, who should still believe he could end up anywhere given the twists and turns sure to come ahead of November’s national draft.

They really don’t want us taking Reid. Wonder why?

I doubt this whole adding to the academy will happen, but if the AFL push it through Can Sanders not accept and roll the dice in the draft?

Shouldn't be any different to other NGA talent. He can fluff the paperwork. He's a better shot at landing at a better club by not signing it. Unless he's the only one being told that Norf are going to be relocated to Tassie in a few years, oh and here's an envelope for Tassie marketing from the AFL in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back