Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have? - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

How dare people have a healthy debate on a forum.

If I posted a thread stating how s**t Essendon were you'd all be in their crying.
there was something like 4 or 5 of them only a couple of weeks ago....they seem to have dropped off the 1st page now.
There was little crying. we knew we were garbage at that point

Mine:
comp needs more teams. 4 of them. thus the fixture can be even by playing 22 teams against each other once
Non-Vic clubs should play the G when in Vic every chance they get
Non-Vic clubs should not play in Tasmania. Send the Vic clubs there
Geelong shouldn't play AFL games in Geelong. (unpopular amongst Geelong fans im sure)

He is probably past his absolute peakiest best (I'd say 2011-2014 was peak Pendles), but the "drop off" has been minimal, and he's actually improved some areas of his game as he's aged; Averaging more goal assists, 1%ers and tackles per game over 2017-2018 than at any other point in his career.

C. Wilson on Footy Classified this week, defended her recent criticism of Mark Thompson... it was described by some other journalist as being "callous" criticism:

In her defence, Wilson said:

"I knew his life was spiraling out of control. I knew he was facing drug possession charges and drug dealing charges. I didn't know he was suffering from a mental illness".

C. Wilson couldn't work out that Mark was suffering a mental illness? Yet, if she had, that might have changed her actions? But since she didn't know, it excuses her?

Total bullshit. And shame.

80% of what C. Wilson does is great. The other 20% ruins it all for me.

C. Wilson on Footy Classified this week, defending her recent criticism of Mark Thompson that was described by some other journalist as being "callous":

Wilson said:

"I knew his life was spiraling out of control. I knew he was facing drug possession charges and drug dealing charges. I didn't know he was suffering from a mental illness".

C. Wilson couldn't work out that Mark was suffering a mental illness? Yet, if she had, that might have changed her actions? But since she didn't know, it excuses her?

sharing these minor points often deludes the smartest people..

I think the current fixture is fine and just as good as any alternative. Playing 5x teams twice allows for rivalry games, equalization of the comp, and 22 games is a good length for the season.

Any fixture will have inequities due to the location of home games, timing of games, organisation of byes. Those aren't necessarily a problem unless they are systematically biased against one team or another.

On a similar note, the AFL railroading Carlton out of princes park and into docklands, then flipping 10 years later and allowing Geelong to play 9 home games at a smaller stadium, is a disgrace.

C. Wilson on Footy Classified this week, defended her recent criticism of Mark Thompson... it was described by some other journalist as being "callous" criticism:

In her defence, Wilson said:

I don't mind Caro and wonder if the reaction to her views/inside info she finds would be looked at more favorably if she was a man.

The AFL should just ditch the bounce. It looks pretty, but most of the time it isn't straight, and having it recalled is ridiculous when you could just throw it up in the first place.

AFL should keep expanding and have a promotion/relegation model. An uneven fixture is unfair, a conference system is unfair when you have a stronger conference, promotion-relegation could allow for playing each team home and away.

- Nothing wrong with footy at the moment. Most of the best games this year have involved the top 6 sides and their is a reason for that; most of them look to score and don't just play ugly, defensive footy

- A Richmond one, our lesser known players are still criminally underrated as everyone just focuses on that MCG home ground BS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching is overrated ....players win games

Over 120 minutes it’s the players skill and execution that determines games

The more skilful players you have the more games you win

Honestly, it's hard to think of too many instances where a coach has grossly underperformed with a list he is given/has developed, to the point of sacking. Usually results are commensurate to the talent/experience on your list, but still some seem to persist with the idea that the head coach is all-controlling and the most important variable.

Honestly, it's hard to think of too many instances where a coach has grossly underperformed with a list he is given/has developed, to the point of sacking. Usually results are commensurate to the talent/experience on your list, but still some seem to persist with the idea that the head coach is all-controlling and the most important variable.

You said it well

If Leigh Mathews was coaching Brisbane lions now would they be any good ....no

If Alistair Clarkson was coaching Richmond .....they’d be good

I like Dwayne Russell.
Not in a genuine respect him way, but in a perverse "he's so bad it's entertaining" kind of way.

They AFL should bring back Ross Oakley to finish the job of making our game truly national. Hobart Kangaroos should have happened 15 years ago. Everyone knows it would be the best outcome for the good of the game.

If the ball is kicked out of bounds on the full it's a free kick to the opposition. A mark is is paid if a player catches the ball on the full. So, goals should only be paid if the ball crosses the boundary line between the goal posts on the full. (And this should probably be played in conjunction with my other unpopular opinion that we should return to determining the winner on the basis on goals kicked with points only entering the equation when goals are drawn.)

If the ball is kicked out of bounds on the full it's a free kick to the opposition. A mark is is paid if a player catches the ball on the full. So, goals should only be paid if the ball crosses the boundary line between the goal posts on the full. (And this should probably be played in conjunction with my other unpopular opinion that we should return to determining the winner on the basis on goals kicked with points only entering the equation when goals are drawn.)
Why would you want to rob the game of amazing dribble goals from the boundary though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back