Movie What's the last movie you saw? (7)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Roundup 4.

It's like the first 3 - Korean cop story where Don Lee punches people. It's plenty of fun if you like these types of movies.

Boys kills world.

Bit dumb. The action is surprisingly top tier though. It benefits from having on-screen fighting god Yuyan Ruhian in it.

Also did a re-watch of the new Planet of the apes trilogy and still a big fan of all 3 with Dawn being my favourite.

Hunger (World Movies) - about Bobby Sands IRA member’s 66 day hunger strike. Grim no doubt but thought an extraordinary movie.

Features a 17 min scene done in one shot with camera in same position between Fassbender who plays Sands and Liam Cunningham who plays a priest

Apparently Cunningham moved into Fassbender’s place to practice the scene which they did 12-15 times a day. Fassnender claims it took only 5 takes. A lot of dialogue to memorise talking about Sands’ motives for starting the hunger strike.

Fassbender went on a diet of just 900 calories a day and lost a huge amount of weight ..nearly as much as Bale for the Machinst.

I think still director Steve McQueen’s best movie. Also Fassbender’s best performance- 9/10

Yeah it's got the white hero trope which is usually a made up character so the audience can "relate"

Standard Hollywood formula where they need to soften it to mild head shaking at a sanitised version of discrimination
I understand the criticism of the white hero trope, the idea that Kevin Costner being a good guy who sees through the racism bullshit is someone white viewers can feel they would be if put in the same situation. At the same time, the movie did NASA dirty because the racism shown simply didn't happen. There was no 'coloured coffee pot', she wasn't made to run half a mile to the coloured toilets, one of the major characters wasn't denied a supervisor role, she was a supervisor before the time in which the film was set. NASA was one of the few places where people were treated on merit and had a wildly diverse group of employees (including a few ex-Nazis).

But I also understand why they included it that way because they would have encountered racism in every other aspect of their lives and it helped demonstrate just what they overcame to achieve what they did. I don't think the film 'softened' the racism other than a few Costner moments, simply seeing black people have to drink from separate water fountains, sit at the back of the bus, get kicked out a library is jarring. As it should be.

I understand the criticism of the white hero trope, the idea that Kevin Costner being a good guy who sees through the racism bullshit is someone white viewers can feel they would be if put in the same situation. At the same time, the movie did NASA dirty because the racism shown simply didn't happen. There was no 'coloured coffee pot', she wasn't made to run half a mile to the coloured toilets, one of the major characters wasn't denied a supervisor role, she was a supervisor before the time in which the film was set. NASA was one of the few places where people were treated on merit and had a wildly diverse group of employees (including a few ex-Nazis).

But I also understand why they included it that way because they would have encountered racism in every other aspect of their lives and it helped demonstrate just what they overcame to achieve what they did. I don't think the film 'softened' the racism other than a few Costner moments, simply seeing black people have to drink from separate water fountains, sit at the back of the bus, get kicked out a library is jarring. As it should be.
That's the thing though they portray these as true stories and they're largely theatre

It's Hollywood's idea of what it should have yave looked like and people take this as that is what it was

Also great for the whole we don't do racism anymore because we all drink from the same fountain

I enjoyed the movie and these issues are common throughout films that are based on a true story not just when doing this sort of movie

Changing real life to hit the formula shits me in general

That's the thing though they portray these as true stories and they're largely theatre

It's Hollywood's idea of what it should have yave looked like and people take this as that is what it was

Also great for the whole we don't do racism anymore because we all drink from the same fountain

I enjoyed the movie and these issues are common throughout films that are based on a true story not just when doing this sort of movie

Changing real life to hit the formula shits me in general
I understand when you're making a movie, you need drama and excitement, so sometimes timelines and events get conflated to make it interesting. For example, John Glenn did indeed ask for her specifically to check the numbers, but it was three days before, not moments before lift-off. She wasn't invited into the control room to see his return, as the control room was in another state, but it made for a satisfying conclusion. These changes are fine, inventing things to heighten drama or make certain viewers more comfortable not so much.

Though it directed me to more information and maybe some people to the book it's based on, so that's something too, I guess.

Yeah it is, but it's very well done. There was a certain detachment that ran as a theme that left you walking away from the experience feeling a little numb, but very sick. Both emotionally and physically. Punishing is a great adjective.
Yep, that was how I felt afterwards too.

One of the most effective things I have seen on the screen lately was:

when they cut forward to modern times and you finally see objects from inside the concentration camp. But it's still through pristine glass with the cleaners ignoring it. Keeping that theme of detachment as you mentioned

So well done. Every decision in the film felt extremely purposeful.

It still topped the charts, brought part one back into the charts, so maybe they think it worthwhile.

I contributed to this, I watched it even though I thought part one was crap. I'm sorry. But sometimes I eat fast food even though I know it's terrible.
I think it’s also a bit of the whole streaming model.

You sit down, you wanna double screen or tune out, it’s RIGHT there at the top of the banner, it’s got some recognizable faces, you pop it on and half pay attention to it.

My most preferred first time watches from the opening third of this year:

1. A Patch of Blue (Guy Green, 1965, Foxtel)
2. High Society (Charles Walters, 1956, Foxtel)
3. Benediction (Terence Davies, 2022, SBSoD)
4. Sleeping Beauty (Julia Leigh, 2011, Netflix)
5. Shakespeare-Wallah (James Ivory, 1965, Kanopy)
6. Vanya on 42nd Street (Louis Malle, 1994, SBSoD)
7. Maestro (Bradley Cooper, 2023, Netflix)
8. Attenberg (Athina Rachel Tsangari, 2010, SBSoD)
9. Always Another Dawn (T.O. McCreadie, 1948, Kanopy)
10. Kung-Fu Master! (Agnes Varda, 1988, SBSoD)

A bit of a cross thread but I've been watching a series of shows called The Power of Film. Professor Howard Suber, sometimes known as the Yoda of film studies, talks to the camera and shows dozens of clips about what makes great films memorable.

It's mostly about great characters but they need to have relationships with a buddy or a team, and often an antagonist.

He talks a lot about heroes. Such as the reluctant hero who makes a decision to act on behalf of others - to his/her personal cost. Think Maximus, Leon, Sarah Connor.

It's mostly villains who drive the story. They bring chaos that the hero has to respond to. The Joker, every Bond villain.

Heroes and villains both kill people but the difference is that villains do it for personal benefit or self gratification.

He says many movies could be renamed "Trapped." It's intriguing to see characters trapped in a situation - whether it's a relationship, downtrodden in society, or locked in a spaceship with an alien - and how they get out of it.

He draws out themes in different movies. Such as High Noon, Dirty Harry and Apocalypse Now having similar endings. The hero has won the day then is done with it all.

Film acting sometimes can be understated. Show an actor's face with a neutral expression and the audience will interpret their thoughts and motivations by the images around that shot.

Many movies that are considered great have just one or two very memorable scenes.

It's worth a look if you can get hold of it. A great movie impacts the way we feel. It can enhance our experience of a movie if we understand why it has produced a certain emotional response. And it's an insight into which movies might become future classics.

A ...

It's mostly villains who drive the story. They bring chaos that the hero has to respond to. The Joker, every Bond villain.

This is why Maverick and even the first Top Gun are brilliant.

The villain is almost irrelevant, the tension in the films comes from the journeys of the protagonists.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The Talented Mr Ripley - Netflix - 1999

I dont think I ever saw this on release and had no plans to until I saw the series on Netflix (see TV shows I have watched)

Just to see what differences there were and how the movie differed etc and how 25 years changes the story

To be fair they both had merits and differing approaches - the movie in 2hours plus change was certainly more pacier than the series and revealed a few more details not included

Matt Damon , Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett and Phillip Seymour Hoffman make up the main cast and all do a fine job - Matt Damon especially

For a group of people who despise money so much they sure spend a lot of it

The Talented Mr Ripley - Netflix - 1999

I dont think I ever saw this on release and had no plans to until I saw the series on Netflix (see TV shows I have watched)

Just to see what differences there were and how the movie differed etc and how 25 years changes the story

To be fair they both had merits and differing approaches - the movie in 2hours plus change was certainly more pacier than the series and revealed a few more details not included

Matt Damon , Jude Law, Gwyneth Paltrow, Cate Blanchett and Phillip Seymour Hoffman make up the main cast and all do a fine job - Matt Damon especially

For a group of people who despise money so much they sure spend a lot of it
This is sort of the point though.

Its funny 99 Ripley was often viewed as a very slow and deliberately paced movie in the 90s (which it sort of was) but its a real demonstration of movie pacing and length now that its considered pretty snappy by todays standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty... this has been on my watchlist for a while now and despite being vaguely aware of the plot (daydreamer goes on an adventure) had managed to avoid knowing too much about it. Plenty of positive reviews here had me keen for it, only for it to leave me a little flat. I kept expecting a twist that would give the film a little more heft, something about the human spirit, but instead, it kinda plays it straight and is a two-hour Just Do It message. It's still quite charming and largely fun, with some beautiful locations, but not the real thought-provoker I thought it might be. 7/10

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty... this has been on my watchlist for a while now and despite being vaguely aware of the plot (daydreamer goes on an adventure) had managed to avoid knowing too much about it. Plenty of positive reviews here had me keen for it, only for it to leave me a little flat. I kept expecting a twist that would give the film a little more heft, something about the human spirit, but instead, it kinda plays it straight and is a two-hour Just Do It message. It's still quite charming and largely fun, with some beautiful locations, but not the real thought-provoker I thought it might be. 7/10

Damn. Example of something being built up, but yeah.. that movie is in the list of my favourites, for sure.

I think it does enough in itself to prompt the 'human spirit' feeling you mention.

The skateboarding down the hill scene... just love it

I watched Mitty at the cinemas on new years eve in 2013 and it just ******* hit for me.

I absolutely loved it and it will always occupy a special place in my heart.
Yep, definitely the case for me. I spent months waiting for it to come out and wasn't disappointed in the slightest.

Even thinking about it now takes me straight back to the night at the cinema that I watched it.

Detachment

One of those slightly creepy coincidences that make you wonder just how closely the big tech companies are watching you. I'd never heard of this movie (it was released in 2011) until a clip from it randomly showed up in my YouTube feed one day (not sure why), I watched it, thought it looked OK, then a few days later it popped up in my Netflix recommendations. Anyway I was home on sick leave for a few days so decided to give it a go.

Decent enough movie in the "new teacher comes into rough school and inspires students to be better" genre. Stars Adrien Brody who is very good in it, along with Marcia Gay Harden, James Caan and Lucy Liu. Much less inspirational, feel-good, warm-and-fuzzy than most other movies of this type. Instead it's a more realistic, confronting, depressing / cynical view of what life is like for teachers in modern schools, dealing with completely disengaged, undisciplined kids, rude / demanding / threatening / uncaring parents and bureaucracy that doesn't give a sh*t (at one point in a staff meeting the teachers get told off by a visiting official because their school's poor test scores are affecting real estate values in their area). It focuses more on how teachers get completely burnt out and depressed from constantly feeling like they're pushing sh*t uphill every day.

I though it was pretty good, enjoyed watching it (although it's not always enjoyable to watch, if that makes sense). Only problem (if it's really a problem) is that it doesn't really resolve much / anything. And I suppose that's staying true to the story - if it somehow wrapped things up with a bow at the end and everybody learned a valuable lesson from the experience or some sh*t like that then it would have felt trite and dishonest. But yeah, it feels like nobody is significantly better or worse off by the end than they were at the start (except maybe for one character he meets and helps outside of school).

Not a bad movie, though. Would recommend giving it a watch on Netflix if you're into that kind of thing.

Watched Alien for the first time last night. Wife and baby are away for a week so trying to get through some big epics that I can have as loud as I like.

Ehhh, it was alright. I can understand (like with Star Wars which I’m also not a big fan of) that if you were a teen in the late 70s that this would be really scary and mind blowing. I don’t think it has dated though, the Alien looks really good due to using costume/animatronics rather than poxy cgi. It’s not my genre but it was good enough.

I think Alien does a bit more than just that. Sets the standard for a lot of what horror would become and gave us a genuine female heroine opposed to a last girl.
Alien was so well ahead of its time, its a quality movie and holds up very well today, especially when you consider it is 45 years old.

Im so envious of anyone getting to watch movies that I really love and enjoy for the first time.

Arguably the number 1, horror/sci-fi movie of all time.

This is why Maverick and even the first Top Gun are brilliant.

The villain is almost irrelevant, the tension in the films comes from the journeys of the protagonists.

There's the reluctant hero that we commonly see - such as Sisu or Robert McCall.

The professional hero, like Superman or Batman, who pretty much do it for a job. It needs an interesting villain.

Then there's the American patriot hero - like Maverick in Top Gun or the Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan. They go on a journey of being awesome, having some hurdles thrown in their way then coming out even more awesome.

In the Top Gun movies the evil foreign villain country is left anonymous but we can make assumptions about who they are. But like you say, the villains are irrelevant. The dramatic tension is created by the rivalries and love interests of the main characters. Ultimately they are all on the same side. Maverick and Iceman want to ride each other's tail. Jennifer Connelly and Tom Cruise fly off into the sunset. They are 'Merica, heck yeah" characters designed to muster up jingoistic feelings.

Hot Shots is a brilliant piss take! Some genuinely laugh out loud moments.

There's the reluctant hero that we commonly see - such as Sisu or Robert McCall.

The professional hero, like Superman or Batman, who pretty much do it for a job. It needs an interesting villain.

Then there's the American patriot hero - like Maverick in Top Gun or the Tom Hanks character in Saving Private Ryan. They go on a journey of being awesome, having some hurdles thrown in their way then coming out even more awesome.

In the Top Gun movies the evil foreign villain country is left anonymous but we can make assumptions about who they are. But like you say, the villains are irrelevant. The dramatic tension is created by the rivalries and love interests of the main characters. Ultimately they are all on the same side. Maverick and Iceman want to ride each other's tail. Jennifer Connelly and Tom Cruise fly off into the sunset. They are 'Merica, * yeah" characters designed to muster up jingoistic feelings.

Hot Shots is a brilliant piss take! Some genuinely laugh out loud moments.
Spoilers but Tom Hanks does not come out of that movie even more awesome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back