B: Shaw, N. Brown, C. Brown

HB: Birchall, Croad, Hodge

C: Swan, Sewell, Bateman

HF: Osborne, Franklin, Didak

F: Rioli, Roughead, Williams

R: Campbell, Lewis, Mitchell

IC from: Fraser Dew Pendlebury Thomas

EM: Davis Maxwell Young

Osbourne ahead of Medhurst and Davis is fanciful. Considering Medhurst was AA in 08 and that Davis is clearly better. They are both clearly ahead of Rioli and Williams too based on their 08 seasons.

Collingwood/Hawthorn

Shaw Brown C.Brown

O'Brien Croad Hodge

Swan Sewell Bateman

Davis Roughhead Didak

Cloke Franklin Medhurst

Fraser Pendlebury Mitchell

Lewis Thomas Campbell Rioli

Hawks and Pies team i Would have.

C.Brown N.Brown H.Shaw
G.Birchall T.Croad L.Hodge
C.Bateman S.Mitchell S.Pendelbury
A.Didak L.Franklin L.Davis
C.Rioli J.Roughead M.Williams
R.Campbell B.Sewell D.Swan
J.Fraser J.Lewis X.Ellis D.Thomas

14 Hawks 8 Pies

Pretty good team there.

Damn i would hate to ever see that, unless it was collingwood. Wouldnt you go Medders instead of Williams though?

I can also see harry O getting a gig and dropping one from the bench easy.

Osbourne ahead of Medhurst and Davis is fanciful. Considering Medhurst was AA in 08 and that Davis is clearly better. They are both clearly ahead of Rioli and Williams too based on their 08 seasons.

Collingwood/Hawthorn

Shaw Brown C.Brown

O'Brien Croad Hodge

Swan Sewell Bateman

Davis Roughhead Didak

Cloke Franklin Medhurst

Fraser Pendlebury Mitchell

Lewis Thomas Campbell Rioli

genuinely forgot medhurst.

williams would be playing as a leading forward still, a position which he has twice kicked more than 60 goals in a season from. coming off a knee injury, was clearly our best forward for the last 5 or 6 weeks we played.

would play this role better than davis could.

would have no problems with osborne out and medhurst in.

cam brown and obrien would play the same position, and would definitely choose brown. would prefer to take a running option in, like birchall, or even clarke. your team offers very little run from the back half, nobody to overlap on the handball, and a very one dimensional midfield.

roughead franklin and cloke is far too tall for one forward, would only lead into each others space. cloke would be the last option of the 3. williams offers a third marking option.

i know i may have left a player or two out, but to think that youd be able to force out 11 players out of the premiership team, a team which you twice lost to by 10 goals last season, is to use your words... fanciful.

Damn i would hate to ever see that, unless it was collingwood. Wouldnt you go Medders instead of Williams though?

I can also see harry O getting a gig and dropping one from the bench easy.

Spot on Lazy, Harry'O comes in for Birchall. AA Medhurst is definately in before Williams who has been quiet the past couple of years while Medders has been on fire. Fraser who was selected to play for Victoria clearly starts in the ruck.

And i'd comfortably take Cloke as a third tall forward option ahead of Ellis. I think if any reasonble person was offered a choice between Cloke and Ellis they would choose Cloke.

Clarke wouldn't make our 22 now.

Kozi would make our 2nd ruck posi, but definitely wouldn't displace Rocca for FF. Actually think back to actual football, not Bigfooty tripe about the worst 200 game player. :rolleyes:

Rocca is a 31 year old with fitness issues who has averaged 10 possessions a game over the past 5 years.

That is not a joke, he has averaged 10 possessions a game over the last 5 years and he is now 31 years old.

Kosi took more marks last year than Rocca has ever taken in one year.

Kosi is becoming the most underrated player in the AFL.

cam brown and obrien would play the same position, and would definitely choose brown. would prefer to take a running option in, like birchall, or even clarke. your team offers very little run from the back half, nobody to overlap on the handball, and a very one dimensional midfield.

roughead franklin and cloke is far too tall for one forward, would only lead into each others space. cloke would be the last option of the 3.

i know i may have left a player or two out, but to think that youd be able to force out 11 players out of the premiership team, a team which you twice lost to by 10 goals last season, is to use your words... fanciful.

Of the player you left out... that I added in were Davis, O'brien, Cloke and Medhurst. They are all quality. Who makes way out of your side... Birchall, Osborne, Dew and Williams. I think that's fair. O'brien offers plenty of run and dash and looks set to be one of the best defenders in the league in 09. AA Medders in for Williams. Davis for Dew is a no brainer. And you would definately have Cloke before Osborne. If the big forwards get in the way rotate them of the bench and/or have one leading up the wing if you want all three on the ground.

Sure that would square it up but the thing that seperates Hawthorn from Collingwood is Hodge, Franklin and a far better more hardened midfield. Wheras we are arguing over small forwards for the final few places an area where I believe Collingwood has the edge, however Hawthorn's are still excellent, number 2 in the league for small forwards behind Collingwood. ;)

Spot on Lazy, Harry'O comes in for Birchall. AA Medhurst is definately in before Williams who has been quiet the past couple of years while Medders has been on fire. Fraser who was selected to play for Victoria clearly starts in the ruck.

And i'd comfortably take Cloke as a third tall forward option ahead of Ellis. I think if any reasonble person was offered a choice between and Ellis they would choose Cloke.

Probably cos Ellis is a midfielder/back flanker.

Whilst Harry is probably a better player than Birchall, you would have a slow and unbalanced defence.

Probably cos Ellis is a midfielder/back flanker.

Whilst Harry is probably a better player than Birchall, you would have a slow and unbalanced defence.

O'Brien and Cloke are definately better players than Ellis, Birchall and Osborne and that is why they make the combined sides. O'Brien has poise class run and carry, if anything it has been his disposal that has let him down in the past.

Going from my original team, bring in Medhurst for Osborne.
Replace Dew with Davis.

Cloke is a great player, but there is absolutely no need to select him in the side.
You would be rotating Franklin and Roughead purely for the exercise of fitting Cloke in, not because he is actually needed.
His spot could be used to add another midfield rotation option.

O'Brien and Cloke are definately better players than Ellis, Birchall and Osborne and that is why they make the combined sides. O'Brien has poise class run and carry, if anything it has been his disposal that has let him down in the past.

But you are comparing a third tall defender and a CHF with a midfielder, a running half back, and a HFF.

Picking a side based on who are the better players is a pointless exercise if the side wouldnt actually win a game.

Its like saying Jon Brown, Franklin, Fevola, Riewoldt, Pavlich, should all make the AA team every year cos they are in the top 10 players in the league. You'll have no balance.

Midfield rotations are not as much of a concern thanks to Collingwood's small forward that can push into the midfield, namely Davis, Didak and Thomas. That's why you can afford the luxury of having a third tall, Cloke in the side ahead of Williams who funnily enough has been getting in the way of Roughhead and Franklin and been nowhere near as affective since not being the go to man.

But you are comparing a third tall defender and a CHF with a midfielder, a running half back, and a HFF.

Picking a side based on who are the better players is a pointless exercise if the side wouldnt actually win a game.

Its like saying Jon Brown, Franklin, Fevola, Riewoldt, Pavlich, should all make the AA team every year cos they are in the top 10 players in the league. You'll have no balance.

Notice that Rioli even Davis is in the side before Rocca, even though Rocca would be far more important had Franklin, Roughhead and Cloke have filled those spots.

O'Brien in for Birchall because he is better and offers what you think he doesn't. Run and carry.

Cloke in for Williams/Ellis because he is better choice for the last spot on the bench... If I could change my team maybe I would have Cloke on the bench and put Rioli into the forward pocket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You severely under rated O'Brien rebound imo. It's close to the best at Collingwood.

FB: Welsh - Ryder - Fletcher

HB: O'brien - Brown - H Shaw

C: Didak - Pendelbury - Davis

HF: Thomas - Cloke - Monfries

FF: Davey - Lloyd - Medhurst

Foll: Hille - Swan - Mcveigh

Inter: Watson - Fraser - Lucas - Thomas

Stanton and lockyer are unlucky to miss.

Thought about putting Mcveigh as the small defender in order to bring Lockyer or Stanton in but decided against it.

Welsh also gives you the option of playing as a defensive midfielder or as a forward so he offers more versatility than both Stanton and Lockyer.

Cloke in for Lonergan
Didak in for Stokes
Fraser in for Blake
Davis or Medhurst in for Varcoe
Swan in for Rooke
Pendlebury in for Kelly (only maybe)
Thomas in for Wojcinski

That'd be it.

Geelong has the best midfield and defence in the league so Collingwood's backmen offer nothing that Geelong doesn't already have and that is better. Davis the crumber and Medhurst the crumber/marking small forward would depend on what was needed. Probably Davis as Medhurst is similar to Chapman. Didak is a no brainer, he's just a gun he has to be in the team, doesn't matter where. Cloke for Lonergan and Fraser as Otten's backup are easy picks as well. Thomas is a more skilful footballer than Wojcinski, has flair and run. Swan to do a similar job that Rooke currently does but with more skill.

FB: Welsh - Ryder - Fletcher

HB: O'brien - Brown - H Shaw

C: Didak - Pendelbury - Davis

HF: Thomas - Cloke - Monfries

FF: Davey - Lloyd - Medhurst

Foll: Hille - Swan - Mcveigh

Inter: Watson - Fraser - Lucas - Thomas

Stanton and lockyer are unlucky to miss.

Thought about putting Mcveigh as the small defender in order to bring Lockyer or Stanton in but decided against it.

Welsh also gives you the option of playing as a defensive midfielder or as a forward so he offers more versatility than both Stanton and Lockyer.

Perhaps Stanton can come in for the second Dale Thomas?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back