Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Tigers v Eagles rivalry - how has this come about? There was a good game late last season at the MCG granted, but other than that I don't recall any rivalry borne out of games. There has been no finals ever played between them, nor any "incidents" that i can recall
This is a seriously interesting question. As far as I am concerned I have never had any problem with the Eagles. Happy to recognise that they have been better than us for most of their existence. .

Importantly, I think most Tiger fans were very happy with the Eagles beating Collingwood in the 2018 GF. As such it feels like it flows more from the west to Punt Rd.

It has been suggested that possibly Eagle fans are upset/disappointed that their 2018 flag is sandwiched between two Tiger flags. Was the late season win against them at the 'G last year also a contributing factor? It did hurt their flag chances, but not as much as the loss to Hawthorn at home.

Vicco Bias plays a part I am sure, and Richmond cop it because we are top of the tree at the moment. Cox-Vickery wasn't pleasant but I can't recall any other major on-field incidents

Overall record has Eagles ahead 26-18. Have never met in a final. We have only won against them in the west four times so it's not like we keep ruining their day.

Just on Tigers v Eagles rivalry - how has this come about? There was a good game late last season at the MCG granted, but other than that I don't recall any rivalry borne out of games. There has been no finals ever played between them, nor any "incidents" that i can recall
What rivalry? All I see is BigFooty shittalk.

Some Richmond posters have been a tad painful as you might have noticed. 30 years of getting sand kicked in your face will make you come out the other end a bit of a bully or perhaps not caring what other posters think of you. Like all posters you have to take those posters with a grain of salt, like so many posters from all clubs, but given how many Richmond supporters are out there, we perhaps over represent on this forum. WC is the powerhouse from the West, and I reckon a few posters have been as guilty as some Richmond posters. They have kicked sand in faces all their life (the club not the posters).

WC posters in particular have a this constant 'home ground advantage' and 'games at the G' pitch which is always designed to downplay Richmond's achievements, (post 547).

Hawks and Geelong posters s**t cannned each other for years, but behind it all was a begrudging respect for each other, how could there not be because the games were so close for a decade. Great rivalry like we used to have with Carlton and Collingwood. Looking forward to Carlton's rise again...??

On field or in the crowd I don't think there is any rivalry apart from 2 good sides having a crack. Many Richmond posters thought the WC Richmond game this year was one of the best of the year, granted we won in the end, but WC probably played the best Q of football I have seen in years that day.

They're the two best teams in the comp so there will always be tension (sorry Collingwood, GWS and Geelong), but all the "rivalry" is BigFooty shitposts amplifying legit grievances to ridiculous levels.

I don't think the rivalry will keep going once Richmond go back to being Richmond the same way as Eagles vs Freo or Essendon remain rivalries despite everything :cool:

They're the two best teams in the comp so there will always be tension (sorry Collingwood, GWS and Geelong), but all the "rivalry" is BigFooty shitposts amplifying legit grievances to ridiculous levels.

I don't think the rivalry will keep going once Richmond go back to being Richmond the same way as Eagles vs Freo or Essendon remain rivalries despite everything :cool:
The good 'ol days of Richmond being Richmond.

To be honest I’m not sure there is a rivalry.

There seems to be some angst in Richmond winning a second flag which is fair enough.

Looking at the sides over the last three years, all of GWS, Collingwood, Geelong would feel disappointed they haven’t won one. All have claims.

GWS ran into a rampant Bulldogs in 2016 who peaked at just the right time. Then spent all their tickets in a gutsy prelim win in 2019. Credit to Bulldogs though.

Collingwood was a kick away in 2018 and really should have put the Eagles out of the game in the first quarter of that Grand Final. West Coasts comeback was impressive.

Geelong has been thereabouts over this time as well. Most notably the 2019 prelim where they were four goals up at halftime. Kick the first of the third quarter and I think they were home, and would have rolled GWS the next week. That third quarter was probably the most strong willed I’ve seen my side play (of all the last three years).

I’m really happy with how the last three years have panned out, but not so ignorant to think it could have played out quite differently and there were teams that just missed their opportunity at the time.

Reading this thread just reminds me we have had an amazing three years, and managed to walk away with two flags in that time. Something I never would have imagined possible in the decades following the Tigers.

Richmond seem to be a lightning rod for angst by non Vic club fans over perceived fairness/unfairness more so than when Hawthorn or Geelong were winning premierships
Think it is one club mostly.
There is an unfairness inherent in the system. The travel factor, the draw, etc but Richmond being very good on the G seems to bring that to the fore. And we had a 7 game stretch there at the end of the season.... And the Grand Final is played there also..... and we were the 'worst' Premiers ever. Richmond posters hit back some less subtly than others. Those 'unfair' advantages don't sit well, everything is analysed these day by everyone. There is a thesis in it, if there hasn't been one already.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The "rivalry" went next level during the off-season, with Tigers fans taking exception to Eagles fans poking holes in their premiership wins. It was/is seen as a lack of respect and acknowledgement that Richmond are a pretty good team.

I for one have never had a problem with West Coast, I actually barracked hard for them during the 2018 decider, despite my allegiance to Victoria. I was happy for them to have won.

Its the same old story. When you are under attack you instinctively defend, and that's how the whole sh!t fight erupted.

That's my one-eyed take on it anyway.

Richmond seem to be a lightning rod for angst by non Vic club fans over perceived fairness/unfairness more so than when Hawthorn or Geelong were winning premierships
It doesn't help when those interstate sides beat us interstate.

Adelaide easily accounted for us in Adelaide in round 6 of 2017. It was only our second game at that venue since late 2015. For a good proportion of the side it may have only been there first or second game at the venue. Contrast with Adelaide on GF day, which was their fourth visit in 2017 and seventh across the preceding two seasons (2016 and 2017).

Likewise we lost to GWS in 2019 at their home, only our third game there across the 2017, 18 and 19 seasons. No games at that venue in 2014 and 2015. We then beat them at the MCG in the return game later in 2019, and also in the GF which was their fifth game there in 2019 and eighth across 2018 and 2019.

The Eagles have accounted for us easily on both occasions we have played in the west since 2016, recording 68 and 47 point wins. We have beaten them twice at the MCG in the corresponding time, but in close matches. One of our defeats was our first visit to Perth Stadium. The other game was our once yearly trip to Subiaco. Contrast with the Eagles having played on the MCG 12 times since the start of the 2016 season.

It is fair to say those sides are way more familiar with the MCG than we are with their home grounds, but when we lose away it is some sign of how poor we are.

It doesn't help when those interstate sides beat us interstate.

Adelaide easily accounted for us in Adelaide in round 6 of 2017. It was only our second game at that venue since late 2015. For a good proportion of the side it may have only been there first or second game at the venue. Contrast with Adelaide on GF day, which was their fourth visit in 2017 and seventh across the preceding two seasons (2016 and 2017).

Likewise we lost to GWS in 2019 at their home, only our third game there across the 2017, 18 and 19 seasons. No games at that venue in 2014 and 2015. We then beat them at the MCG in the return game later in 2019, and also in the GF which was their fifth game there in 2019 and eighth across 2018 and 2019.

The Eagles have accounted for us easily on both occasions we have played in the west since 2016, recording 68 and 47 point wins. We have beaten them twice at the MCG in the corresponding time, but in close matches. One of our defeats was our first visit to Perth Stadium. The other game was our once yearly trip to Subiaco. Contrast with the Eagles having played on the MCG 12 times since the start of the 2016 season.

It is fair to say those sides are way more familiar with the MCG than we are with their home grounds, but when we lose away it is some sign of how poor we are.
It is a sign of how much of an advantage MCG gives Richmond, hence the grand final debate

WCE & Tigers of 19 I think, slide a piece of paper between the two. Both, to me felt like they'd done what was supposed to have been done on the balance of things. Fantastic performers.

Obviously I rate our flag winning team very highly. Best four weeks of footy under intense pressure I suspect I'll ever see. We used a lot of players that season, and the 22 varied wildly from the start of the year to the team that won the flag. You could argue that as a strength, but the two teams I've mentioned were in the mix, more likely for much longer.

It is a sign of how much of an advantage MCG gives Richmond, hence the grand final debate
Did the MCG give richmond an advantage from 1983 to 2016?

Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror at home and own your deficiencies in common sense and logic before you can improve and build your capacity to think critically and honestly.

Did the MCG give richmond an advantage from 1983 to 2016?

Sometimes you've got to look in the mirror at home and own your deficiencies in common sense and logic before you can improve and build your capacity to think critically and honestly.
You can't honestly debate it, it's factual. Look at the results in 2017,2018 and 2019.

So you are saying HGA is real, and I agree with that to an extent, but it diminishes the more an away side plays at any venue. How many more games would GWS need to have played at the MCG in 2018 and 2019 to say that they "knew" the ground? They had played eight across those seasons. I would think that most of their GF side had played 10+ games at the venue.

To argue that WCE>>>>>Richmond because they beat us by a large margin in Perth and we only beat them by a small margin at the MCG is, I think, flawed. The Eagles have more experience at the MCG than the Tigers do in Perth. As a result you'd expect the margin to be smaller between two relatively equal sides.
The Eagles are also more adept at travelling. As we hear constantly the Eagles have to travel every second week whereas the Tigers apparently never leave the MCG. The Eagles know the routines in and out, they know the preparation both physically and mentally that is required. So when travelling to Perth we are not as used to the factors that that brings in to it as the Eagles are when travelling to Melbourne. That is possibly worth a couple of goals to the Eagles.

You can't honestly debate it, it's factual. Look at the results in 2017,2018 and 2019.
Don't you think 2017, 2018, 2019 has something to do with a team thars talented, well coached and confident in themselves, gameplans, surroundings?

No, surely it must be the patch of grass🤦‍♂️

These threads are classic fodder for Tigers fans. Too busy demanding Richmond supporters STFU, without any regard to their own posts when they last won a flag. Those salty posts are magnificent particularly considering Tigers are in the window for some time to come. Keep them coming..it is so funny watching the squirms though gritted teeth and the draw and Vicbias etc etc.

So you are saying HGA is real, and I agree with that to an extent, but it diminishes the more an away side plays at any venue. How many more games would GWS need to have played at the MCG in 2018 and 2019 to say that they "knew" the ground? They had played eight across those seasons. I would think that most of their GF side had played 10+ games at the venue.

To argue that WCE>>>>>Richmond because they beat us by a large margin in Perth and we only beat them by a small margin at the MCG is, I think, flawed. The Eagles have more experience at the MCG than the Tigers do in Perth. As a result you'd expect the margin to be smaller between two relatively equal sides.
The Eagles are also more adept at travelling. As we hear constantly the Eagles have to travel every second week whereas the Tigers apparently never leave the MCG. The Eagles know the routines in and out, they know the preparation both physically and mentally that is required. So when travelling to Perth we are not as used to the factors that that brings in to it as the Eagles are when travelling to Melbourne. That is possibly worth a couple of goals to the Eagles.
I agree it does diminish the more often a team plays there as well, but you can't argue with facts of losing by 60 points away, winning at home by 10 points and say you deserve the home ground advantage in the 3rd matchup even with a negative net points balance.

Back