Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

Which premiership side is the best of the last four years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That would be good from a purist point of view. I must admit I have a hankering for a Richmond-Collingwood GF, (that we should have got last year), because the town would be insane for a week. Similarly, it would be worth visiting my rellos in Perth for a Freo-West Coast GF, or Adelaide for a Showdown GF.

True. I'm still pissed we blew that prelim.

Richmond 2019 may not have had the most dominant season, but to reel off 12 straight wins and become the only team to win the flag from outside the eight after Round 12 was as comprehensive as premierships get. One slip-up would've ruled them out of the top four; many were expecting it to come against one of GWS, Collingwood, West Coast or Brisbane. But as the dominoes fell and the angst grew, a focus on the number of MCG games distracted many from seeing the merit of the performance. The truth is that in the Hardwick decade, Richmond's winning percentage at the MCG improved by the same amount as its percentage away from the MCG, compared with the previous decade.

Don't know where you got 10 from, but here are the injuries from both sides in those years.

RICHMOND
Alex Rance - season (didn't return obviously)
Jack Riewoldt - 12 weeks
Jack Higgins - 12 weeks (didn't return)
Trent Cotchin - 11 weeks
Toby Nankervis - 11 weeks
Jayden Short - 10 weeks
Josh Caddy - 7 weeks
Kane Lambert - 4 weeks

WEST COAST EAGLES
Liam Ryan - 12 weeks
Josh Kennedy - 11 weeks
Daniel Venables - 10 weeks
Nic Naitanui - 9 weeks (didn't return)
Andrew Gaff - 6 weeks (didn't return)
Tom Barrass - 6 weeks
Luke Shuey - 4 weeks
Jack Darling - 4 weeks
Brad Sheppard - 2 weeks (didn't return)

Injuries are apart of the game, only the best teams can push through them.
Sorry to nit pick, but if you are going to include 2 weeks for Sheppard then also include for Richmond:
Graham - 9 weeks
Astbury - 3 weeks
Houli - 3 weeks
Rioli - 3 weeks
Stack - 5+ weeks (had a rest in the VFL, injured for the rest of the year)
Pickett mid year draft and injured for 6 weeks before being eligible, then missed games due to family issues in WA. Would have debuted much earlier.

Also most of these injuries were in the first half of the year, so they all came at once.

Richmond 2019 in my opinion. Belting a team by 89 points in the Grand Final says a lot. The other teams including the 2017 Richmond team had competitors (GF result in 2017 was an upset). However, when Richmond 2019 were on top of their game, teams really struggled to keep up.

Winning your last 12 matches culminating in a flag is pretty impressive too.

WC had more competition but Richmond were great last year. Want to see Tiges play a decent opposition in a grannie. Last two years definitely better than the two before
who is a decent opposition lol

the coasters couldnt even get over your mob in perth to make top 4

the pies shat the bed at home in the prelim against an interstate side

and the cats died in the arse at half time in the prelim.

the bears shouldnt have even made the 8 let alone 4 lol

tell me who was a better opposition to face on the last saturday in september

there are none
You’re avoiding the question, which is odd because the lesser quality of these two teams is what you appeared to object to. You made your point by talking about other teams and the opposition they faced.

I ask you again - were GWS 2019 and Adelaide 2017 decent opposition? I am happy with a yes or no. It’s that simple

You’re avoiding the question, which is odd because the lesser quality of these two teams is what you appeared to object to. You made your point by talking about other teams and the opposition they faced.

I ask you again - were GWS 2019 and Adelaide 2017 decent opposition. I am happy with a yes or no
yes they were the best opposition possible

now can u tell me who might have been better ?

yes they were the best opposition possible

now can u tell me who might have been better ?
Ah ha ha. Ok. Not answered. GWS 2019 were real world beaters weren’t they?

I like how you spent your first response to my post using painstaking detail to criticise Collingwood 2018 but when you are asked to expand on how decent your opposition are, you do the politician answer. Nice work. He he ok

Last edited:
Ah ha ha. Ok. Not answered. GWS 2019 were real world beaters weren’t they?
there is no opposition team in either of our premiership years that couldve beaten us

you still havent told me who that decent opposition is that we could have faced

you are going around in circles. do not be bitter that hawthorn are not that team and are largely irrelevant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast....To win the flag without the quality of Nic Nat, Gaff & Sheppard is super impressive.
Impressive, or probably a stain on the opposition that a side missing 3 of their best 5 players was able to win a GF..

The Tigers played one bad half of footy in the prelim after being the most dominant team for at least a decade.. and Collingwood were pathetic in the GF.. If the Tigs win that prelim they beat that Eagles side by 60 points

there is no opposition team in either of our premiership years that couldve beaten us

you are going around in circles. do not be bitter that hawthorn are not that team and are largely irrelevant

the only team that could challenge Richmond was a fully fit GWS

I think if we are comparing premiership teams surely we need to look at what the comp was like at the time. I think it is more than relevant to raise this

The Tigers played one bad half of footy in the prelim after being the most dominant team for at least a decade.. and Collingwood were pathetic in the GF.. If the Tigs win that prelim they beat that Eagles side by 60 points
All of the above is just plain wrong, first of all the most dominant team of the last decade is Hawthorn ( as much as I hate to say that )....Second of all, the Pies were far from pathetic, they also had a lot of injuries that year, yet they rolled the Tigers by 6 goals in the Prelim, & then proceeded to just lose & put on the best GF for some time.....Third of all, the Eagles rolled the Tigers very easily in 2018 the only time they played....So I highly doubt that would of happened...Could they of lost to Richmond? Yes, of course it’s possible ...But no way if they did would it have been 10 goals.

I would have preferred Collingwood.
I'd even bought a Collingwood doll from the Collingwood Football Club to string up on a piece of doweling to take to the Granny. Mrs Grin said that if I did, I couldn't sit next to her because I'd get my head kicked in. Wasn't an issue in the end.

I think if we are comparing premiership teams surely we need to look at what the comp was like at the time. I think it is more than relevant to raise this

Dumbest question from a hawks supporter I have seen.

You benefitted at a time of massive compromised drafts. Teams had very little scope to improve whilst the expansion teams raided the best kids in the land for 3 straight years.

So my question to you - what was the state of the competition when the hawks won their 3–peat?

who is a decent opposition lol

the coasters couldnt even get over your mob in perth to make top 4

the pies shat the bed at home in the prelim against an interstate side

and the cats died in the arse at half time in the prelim.

the bears shouldnt have even made the 8 let alone 4 lol
Yeah I never understood that , you need to win a grannie by less than a kick to mean you played against decent oppo ? Can't it mean we were just too good which we obviously were

And didn't we beat "decent opp " in 2017 ..They did finish 1st . Typical oppo salt

I ask you again - were GWS 2019 and Adelaide 2017 decent opposition? I am happy with a yes or no. It’s that simple
Yes , they made the grand final, other teams didn't , if the so called "decent opp" pies or eagles were good enough they'd make the grannie , they didn't .

most impressive was west coast comfortably. 3 of their best 5 out and playing at their opponents home ground on the other side of the country. and to rub it in they gave them a five goal headstart.
doggies very impressive in doing it the hard way, travelling across the country, only tainted by some awfully favourable umpiring.
not so impressive were premiers playing interstate sides at their home ground. massive advantage from the get go.

Back