Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I want someone who can do it for more than 1-2 years

Preferably someone who hasn't got a flag to their name

It's time for the next generation to really stand up and make the team their own and it needs to start with who the leaders are

I want someone who can do it for more than 1-2 years

Preferably someone who hasn't got a flag to their name

It's time for the next generation to really stand up and make the team their own and it needs to start with who the leaders are
I want someone who can do it for 2-3 years....just the length of the worst part of the rebuild. After that, the new "star" can take it and lead us to Glory

Think this is made perfectly for Gunston

I want someone who can do it for 2-3 years....just the length of the worst part of the rebuild. After that, the new "star" can take it and lead us to Glory

Think this is made perfectly for Gunston
Yeah look he could do it for 2-3 years given he's only just turned 29

But it's another year where our Captain isn't in the middle and that's where all our issues start on field.

It's also another old brigade choice really, we need to move past that era, he's been VC before, for one year and I reckon that was his worst year in terms of on field leadership, just didn't look like it sat well with him.

Not sure he's the right call but we shall see

Yeah look he could do it for 2-3 years given he's only just turned 29

But it's another year where our Captain isn't in the middle and that's where all our issues start on field.

It's also another old brigade choice really, we need to move past that era, he's been VC before, for one year and I reckon that was his worst year in terms of on field leadership, just didn't look like it sat well with him.

Not sure he's the right call but we shall see
Not sure naming Mitchell or JOM as captain would improve our midfield's performance. Especially if Gunston's worst year was when he was VC and Stratton's decline coincided with his captaincy.

If we have a poor few years, the last thing we need is the captain being under more pressure due to that. So it's pointless to heap that on Mitchell or Jom. Give it to a senior player who has achieved a lot anyway, like 3 flags.

To be honest, I don't think we have a lot of realistic candidates. If it's not Gunston, Mitchell or O'Meara, then who?

Not sure naming Mitchell or JOM as captain would improve our midfield's performance. Especially if Gunston's worst year was when he was VC and Stratton's decline coincided with his captaincy.

If we have a poor few years, the last thing we need is the captain being under more pressure due to that. So it's pointless to heap that on Mitchell or Jom. Give it to a senior player who has achieved a lot anyway, like 3 flags.

To be honest, I don't think we have a lot of realistic candidates. If it's not Gunston, Mitchell or O'Meara, then who?
I mean I'd just give it to O'Meara, but that's me

What's the earliest you can give it to someone? 24/25?

Bont got it very early.

Could Gunston for 3 years into Day be achievable?
Well Dee's gave the co captaincy to Trengove at 20 so let's say that looks like too early

To me it has to be Gunston as he really is vocal sets a good standard and reads the game well.

I personally think Sicily should be captain but this is where Gunston is great as they can work hand in hand and let Sicily take the reigns in 2023 with the young brigade. Don’t really see a point in JOM as I think a captain who goes missing is terrible for a young team and Mitchell I don’t feel is vocal enough.

I personally feel we have solid leaders in Impey, Sicily, Frost, JOM, Mitch, Worpel, Gunston without really having a strong captain choice. This is where Gunston is the perfect choice as he should be the one to transition a new hawks generation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gunners was the most obvious leader we had on field last year - if he wants it he should get it. I do wonder if it's a bit like Hodgey 06-08 vs Hodgey 12-16 in terms of his previous experience as VC. Hodge himself has said he wasn't ready for it when Mitchell was Captain but he became a great leader over time. Gunners seems the same.

Shiels isn't best 22 anymore.
Say what. We don’t have another defensive mid even close to being as good at locking down in the middle as pup.

Gunston should have it by a country mile, he wanted it so bad last year, leads by example and plays all over the ground. That want to win is something he can bring through in captaincy.

on Jaeger would prefer him to focus on his game, he needs a big year

Say what. We don’t have another defensive mid even close to being as good at locking down in the middle as pup.
That doesn't mean he's still best 22 though, just we don't have another option from our regular first team options.

He was poor last year, not particularly great as a defensive mid either and although there may have been mitigating circumstances, he was way off the ball in the games I saw but didn't cop the heat other players did.

A warrior for the club but shouldn't be a walk up starter anymore.

I'm leaning to Gunston, who is absolutely deserving, but at 29, it probably says more about our lack of leaders in their sweet spot. It's clearly the worst this has been in AC's time at the club.

Two years ago, I would have said without doubt O'Meara, but he just hasn't delivered on field like we would have hoped. It's a big year for him individually.

On that, none of our mids really stand out, not even Worpel really. You can't be a leader and have that many games whereby you get smacked in the middle without giving a yelp.

Gunston with Sicily and Impey Vice Captains.

Back