Strategy Who Captains the club in 2021? BigBoy!

Who takes over captaincy in 2021? The answer is BigBoy!

• JOM

Votes: 65 30.8%
  • Tom

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Gunston

Votes: 130 61.6%
  • Other - please comment

Votes: 7 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If it is BB then that will be our 2nd stop gap in a row. I love BB but really think someone that will be here in 2+ years would be a better choice.

Sometimes the better choice will be a temporary way of dealing with a problem or satisfying a need.

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes, well, you just might find
You get what you need.
gettyimages-53004101-612x612.jpg

Gunston would make a great captain but he is too old now IMO. I don’t want to be changing captain again in 2 years time, it’s draining and distracting and it upsets stability at the club. Needs to be Jaeger, Mitchell, Impey or Sicily who can lead for another 5 years.
images (5).jpeg
For stability you always pick the best leader you currently have now, no matter the age.

The distraction comes when you over look the already developed and ready leader for a captain who is picked only, because he shows possible future potential.

Playing both hasn't worked
It hasn’t worked because Cegs had a pretty awful year. On the other hand, BB had one of his career best years not really playing ruck and can fill holes across the ground. Ultimately, BB isn’t playing first ruck so it’s either Cegs or Reeves.

Sometimes the better choice will be a temporary way of dealing with a problem or satisfying a need.

We've just come off having 2 temporary fixes and neither really worked out so there's that. I think most would agree that BB or Gunston should've been made captain instead of Stratton. The choice for Roughie as captain I thought was strange at the the time not because he wasn't a good leader but really just because he'd come back from the cancer treatment. IMO he should've just been worrying about getting himself right especially after such a long layoff. The choice of Roughie and Stratton as captains unfortunately coincided with huge drop offs in career form which made team selection impossible because the captain should almost always be one of the first 3-4 guys selected and dropping your captain is never a good look.

Anyways I chose Gunston to be captain this season with JOM a close second as I feel both would do a good job.

Last edited:
We've just come off having 2 temporary fixes and neither really worked out so there's that. I think most would agree that BB or Gunston should've been made captain instead of Stratton. The choice for Roughie as captain I thought was strange at the the time not because he wasn't a good leader but really just because he'd come back from the cancer treatment. IMO he should've just been worrying about getting himself right especially after such a long layoff. The choice of Roughie and Stratton as captains unfortunately coincided with huge drop offs in career form which made team selection impossible because the captain should almost always be one of the first 3-4 guys selected and dropping your captain is never a good look.

Anyways I chose Gunston to be captain this season with JOM a close second as I feel both would do a good job.

Other than maybe Graham Arthur. Has there been any Hawthorn captain who has not been a temporary fix?

The value of Vanders leadership has grown with hindsight.
Did he protect Sam and Luke from the pressures of being captain and if so did it allow them the extra time to mature and become better captains.

Hopefully when Gunston and JOM become premiership captains. The value of Stratts and Roughies leadership also grows like Vanders.

Other than maybe Graham Arthur. Has there been any Hawthorn captain who has not been a temporary fix?

The value of Vanders leadership has grown with hindsight.
Did he protect Sam and Luke from the pressures of being captain and if so did it allow them the extra time to mature and become better captains.

Hopefully when Gunston and JOM become premiership captains. The value of Stratts and Roughies leadership also grows like Vanders.
Comparing Vanders reign with Stratts and Roughies is like comparing apples and oranges. Vanders was installed as captain right as we were undertaking a ‘full’ rebuild with high end picks coming through the door. Roughie and Stratts reign as captains didn’t coincide with a rebuild even though history says it should’ve wether either of those 2 were captain or not.

FWIW I wasn’t against Roughie being captain but hindsight does show us that the captaincy is the last thing he needed at that stage of his career post cancer and should’ve just been worrying about was his on field performance. Both had dramatic form drop offs in their last couple of seasons and proved to be bad choices as captain because it became debatable whether either deserved to be in the best 22 week in week out and you just can’t have that with your skipper. This could easily happen BB and to a lesser degree Gunners if he has complications with his back.

IMO a stop gap captain wouldn’t be the worst thing for where we are at as club but we’ve had so much instability (2 x stop gaps) since Hodgey left we need to select someone to right the ship even if it’s just for 2-3 years but those years need to be quality leadership.

Last edited:

Gunston will miss a huge chunk of the season anyways, so if he got selected out of those 2 them JOM would basically be doing it on field anyways.

Don't forget Shiels. He possibly should have got it instead of Rough and certainly could have been chosen instead of Stratts. Would have been a popular, safe and good choice at the time but that horse has now bolted and his time has passed.

Big Boy has honestly felt like our best leader the past few years. I really wish they gave him the captaincy a couple of years back. He was the most deserving in terms of onfield leadership.

Always gave 110% and you could tell how much it meant to him.

I loved the idea of BB captain but not in 2021.

I've said all along that JOM will be captain. It's been earmarked for him since he came to us i felt. I think his inconsistency (in terms of putting out elite performances) has probably changed that trajectory a bit, however I still think he is the best option for us (longer term captain, model citizen, bull & has shown leadership in past).

Gunston. Love him, a good leader. Not the age profile I want in our next captain though after having 2 stop gaps types lately.

Tom Mitchell is a gun but not the "main leader" type imo. Bit more quiet and focused on his job.

Sicily. Injured.

Think it should still be JOM.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

It hasn’t worked because Cegs had a pretty awful year. On the other hand, BB had one of his career best years not really playing ruck and can fill holes across the ground. Ultimately, BB isn’t playing first ruck so it’s either Cegs or Reeves.

I don't know why people think it will be any different to last year, nothing from the coaches or training suggests a shift in thinking.
BB is not #1 ruck - get over it, build a bridge, let it go! It won't change just because you don't like it. The club has explained issues with Ceglar.
The only difference with defenders being settled is BB may play a bit more in the ruck (back to normal quarter lengths and pinch-hit forward like Hale, perhaps back to help with sides with taller/bigger forwards)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I love McEvoy and he will be a great captain. But I am disappointed that we have chosen another stop-gap option, I really believe that someone like Jaeger is ready to lead us for the next 5 years.

I really don't love another interim captain who will do 2 years at most. That said - I think this is paving the way for Jaeger to be captain after that with Worpel his VC - which I really like the idea of.

Back