• Sydney

Votes: 59 7.2%
  • West Coast

Votes: 26 3.2%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 73 8.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne and brisbane by a mile. Brisbane shouldn't be down the bottom for too much longer if they play their cards right; personally, i think they are. Getting beams and cameron home, getting hodge in, using their academy players, bringing in a new coaching group and looking at new facilities as well as all of the first round picks that they have in that team. Will rise up the ladder soon enough. Melbourne should be pushing for a top 4 placing this season. That list is great and getting lever adds so much flexibility to it. They need to sort out their mentality if anything, basically a younger GWS.

On my own team, well our best youth prospect joined the club on friday so i think we're a bit off at the moment. Need another season down the bottom to add more elite talent to that list above (not that the players there are bad -just most are good KPP projects or future B graders).

Any talk of North applying for a PP?

Few obvious teams with last few years down bottom. Sydney is excellent given their ladder position.

I like the Dogs and Tigers youth given their recent success.

One take away is that most clubs have pretty decent youth coming through for next decade. Only a few have enough quality to say that the core of list long term is there right now.

Let's wait 5 years and see how those players are going. And whether those players are representative of how good the list is.

Melbourne's top 5 are amazing.

Hogan, Lever, Oliver, Petracca and Hunt.

The depth of Brisbane's group is astonishing.

I count 14 regulars that have been picked up since the 2013 draft.

Agree on both counts. Dees in front, Lions in the rear view mirror

Any chance the OP could makes the voters names visible so I can delete the Carlton supporters from their vote?

Interesting excercise, like most on here I know ours better.
Delighted with them all
Kelly is already a gun

Himmelburg looks to me like he's an importantplayer for the next decade or so. Frankly he has since his debut but has shown he can be the defensive forward can who kick goals.

Taranto played all bar one game when fit in his first year and we look like a more agressive running team when he's out there.

Perryman has shown glimpses and I like the cut of his jib. He faces a challenge to win a spot in our backline with Adam Kennedy and Matt Buntineto come back from injury next year.

Will Setterfield is a technical omission as he would have met the criteria except for injury delaying his debut and then a horrible concussion.

That said I would actually rate Carlton and Brisbane ahead of us and that tells me two things.

1. The draft has returned to normalcy with bottom ranked clubs able to draft the best players and develop, as it should be.

2. It's an early glimpse perhaps of when our window will close. For the past few years we were a standout in these comparisons and that seems to be at an end. All those that predicted a decade or never ending dominance are beginning to be shown up.

I don't think our window is closing. With our core group around 24, it hasn't reached it's zenith. It will though and the pressure to bring home a flag will increase in the next few years before it does.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m just glad that after 10 years of vying for it we finally have the consensus no1 youf group.

Wait. There's still a few Carlton supporters that haven't voted.

Only one of those lists has an All-Australian + a Rising Star winner - Essendon. Add in elite talent like Parish and Fantasia and it has to be us.
Premiership players>Rising star winner.

On paper I've got Melbourne and Brisbane at 1&2

Obviously Melbourne. With their draft though you wouldn't expect them to be featuring in this sort of thing next year.

Quality youth is terrific, but it's the sum of the parts that will shine through and I have no idea of how that may come about for each club.

At this early stage, I'm glad that Carlton have addressed quality characters every bit as much, as what may be seen to be gun individuals.
Players Cripps, Weitering, Petrevski-Seton and Williamson all exude genuine leadership qualities and then there's the exuberance of players like Charlie Curnow, Harry McKay, Pickett, Marchbank and Fisher.

What that will ultimately amount to...........????

Any talk of North applying for a PP?
Even if we're terrible i don't think we'll get one given we played finals a couple of seasons ago. I don't want one, will just give everyone else even more fuel to hang s**t on us. If we finish near the bottom we'll get one of the big 3/4 plus another potential top 10 pick in thomas through the academy so i don't think we need it anyway. Will be severely pissed off if Gold Coast finish last and get one though. That club needs stability and leadership, not high draft picks. They have plenty of those.

My top 6 would be: Carlton, Western Bulldogs, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney and us (in any order).

I think Melbourne and Bulldog groups have the best exposed form of the lot but its impossible to say which group will turn out the best. I strongly considered Gold Coast as they have a lot of players but seem to lack the top end quality but if you prefer lots of youth then they would knock us out for sure.
Overall when I evaluated I was mostly favouring the teams with the guys I thought would become elite or already were. Any team can rack up a bunch of average young players.

Even if we're terrible i don't think we'll get one given we played finals a couple of seasons ago. I don't want one, will just give everyone else even more fuel to hang s**t on us. If we finish near the bottom we'll get one of the big 3/4 plus another potential top 10 pick in thomas through the academy so i don't think we need it anyway. Will be severely pissed off if Gold Coast finish last and get one though. That club needs stability and leadership, not high draft picks. They have plenty of those.
Good to hear this.

Back