Sports Who, in your opinion, is the greatest athlete of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Being great at your sport and being a great athlete are not one and the same
Athleticism is the key
When I was a kid in the 1970s nobody referred to footballers golfers or tennis players as "athletes"
Back then athletes were the people you saw every 4 years at the Olympics
Referring to basketballers etc. as athletes came from US TV.
Yeah. You have to be a stickler with words to make the clearest point.

A basketballer may be athletic, but is not an "athlete".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure athleticism, there have probably been better but just pure basketball abilty, there is no equal, he's so far ahead it's ridiculous.

Probably the greatest sportsperson of all time imo.

I'd argue that LeBron has Jordan covered, in terms of basketball ability, like if you created two basketball players for a computer simulation and one had Jordan's physique and skills and the other had LeBron's, the latter would come out on top.

What still makes Jordan the best (with LeBron running out of time to catch him), was his homicidal competitiveness and consistent ability to get it done when it mattered.

Jordan was the best player in a team that won two 3-peats. 6 time NBA finals MVP is ridiculous.

Bill Russell won 11 championships in 13 seasons, has as many regular season MVPs as Jordan (from an era when the players voted for the winner, rather than journalists) and given the Finals MVP has been named 'The Bill Russell Award' it's fair to assume that if it had been around in his day he'd probably have as many as Jordan, if not more.

Nothing wrong with typing CR7 to refer to Ronaldo. It is shorter and when discussing GOAT soccer players there happens to be another Ronaldo who is in those discussions.

Well, the problem for a thread like this is that I imagine I follow soccer more closely than three quarters of the people in this thread, I remember watching Ronaldo from when he was just coming on the scene with United and I had no idea who 'CR7' was until it was explained.

Athlete per se is a very generic term.....That said, you'd imagine it would have to be an individual highly skilled in most, if not all the traditional athletic pursuits....So clearly we are talking about the best athlete to have won the Decathlon at the Olympics.

That being the case, then it's clearly DALEY THOMPSON, who won it in both 1980 & 1984.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back