Opinion Who is the most underrated player at your club (externally)?

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So we all know that one guy at our club that's rated highly internally and by the club's fans but seems to get no love externally. Who is he at your club and why is he underrated?

I'll go first. I believe Alex Sexton is seriously underrated by almost everyone that's not involved with the Suns in some capacity. Our midfield in 2019 was trash and the rest of our forward line wasn't much better but Secco managed to kick 39 goals with next to no help. He's extremely reliable in front of goal and just doesn't seem to miss regardless of where he's positioned inside the forward 50. He was even leading the Coleman going into his 100th AFL game last year in round 4. He's your perfect medium forward (186cm) who is too quick for the talls and too tall for the smalls and I personally believe he would be rated a lot higher if we were in finals contention.

So we all know that one guy at our club that's rated highly internally and by the club's fans but seems to get no love externally. Who is he at your club and why is he underrated?

I'll go first. I believe Alex Sexton is seriously underrated by almost everyone that's not involved with the Suns in some capacity. Our midfield in 2019 was trash and the rest of our forward line wasn't much better but Secco managed to kick 39 goals with next to no help. He's extremely reliable in front of goal and just doesn't seem to miss regardless of where he's positioned inside the forward 50. He was even leading the Coleman going into his 100th AFL game last year in round 4. He's your perfect medium forward (186cm) who is too quick for the talls and too tall for the smalls and I personally believe he would be rated a lot higher if we were in finals contention.

Agree with you about Sexton.

He's a gun.

For the Lions, Mitch Robinson is grossly underrated.

Most oppo fans are so busy booing him and sledging him that they fail to notice what a bloody good player he is

Always gives everything, never plays a bad game but never gets any love outside of the supporters of our club, least of all the umps who always seem keen to get on his back.

On a slight tangent but I often think that Brad Sheppard has some of the most acrobatic spoils in the game. If he took some marks from some of the positions he got himself in he would be in a lot of highlights reels.

He just comes from 3 or 4 deep over the top of packs regularly, a very dependable player and so unlucky to miss the grand final for someone who doesn't get injured.

He's a great athlete, huge leap, courageous in the air, quick on the ground and a goog kick but without being at the same level as Hurn and Jetta so is less of a distrubiter.

Got pushed in the back by De Goey and did his hammy in the first quarter of the qualifying final. Feel for the bloke. Probably not rated by many due to lower disposal numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shai Bolton. There is a reason why he played 19 games last year. He is seriously good and will sometimes even tear everyone apart in our intraclub matches.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back