Who was better in 2004? Warren Tredrea or Nick Riewoldt

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
Two of the best CHF single seasons of the 21st century. Both players were part of teams that finished in the top four and made deep Finals runs. Looking at the numbers, it appears Riewoldt was playing a little more up the ground although Tredrea was a mobile roamer himself. Nick had the luxury of playing with the Coleman-winning FF Fraser Gehrig.

Stats lack context and only tell us part of the story. But they're worth sharing for the sake of the discussion nonetheless.

2004 Warren Tredrea:

• 25 games
  • 15.6 disposals per game (11.4 kicks; 4.2 handballs)
  • 7.7 marks per game (3.88 marks inside 50; 2.0 contested marks)
  • 3.2 goals per game (1.8 behinds)
  • 0.84 goal assists per game
  • 1.4 one percenters per game
  • 3.6 inside 50s per game
  • 1.2 tackles per game
  • AFL Coaches Association MVP
  • The Age Footballer of the Year
  • ABC Radio Player of the Year
  • 15 Brownlow votes (0.68 per game)
  • All-Australian Team (CHF)

2004 Nick Riewoldt:

• 25 games
  • 17.3 disposals per game (13.0 kicks; 4.3 handballs)
  • 10.2 marks per game (3.56 marks inside 50; 1.84 contested marks)
  • 2.7 goals per game (1.3 behinds)
  • 1.08 goal assists per game
  • 1.84 one percenters per game
  • 4.92 inside 50s per game
  • 1.0 tackles per game
  • AFL Players Association MVP
  • 17 Brownlow votes (0.77 per game)
  • All-Australian Team (HFF)
  • Broke AFL record for marks (256)

Last edited:

I’m biased of course, but Tredders season was the best all-round season I’d seen from a forward.

Obviously having watched every game skews my opinion.

Based on stats, Simon Gruber. Just.

Breaking the all time mark record is pretty crazy.

Not fit to tie Nicks boots

lol. What a shock that a fan of Luke Shuey, the biggest front runner in modern midfield history would say something so spectacularly stupid. The Pav had Nicks measure in almost every single area of material importance. West Coast supporters are pathetic.

lol. What a shock that a fan of Luke Shuey, the biggest front runner in modern midfield history would say something so spectacularly stupid. The Pav had Nicks measure in almost every single area of material importance. West Coast supporters are pathetic.
Shuey a front runner? He played one of the greatest Grand Finals of all time leading his team to victory. How’d Pav or Fyfe go in theirs 😂

Shuey a front runner? He played one of the greatest Grand Finals of all time leading his team to victory. How’d Pav or Fyfe go in theirs 😂

Typical response. Shuey is the universally accepted as one of the softest midfielders in the history of the game. Only a West Coast nuffy would try and argue it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical response. Shuey is the universally accepted as one of the softest midfielders in the history of the game. Only a West Coast nuffy would try and argue it.
Don’t think anyone would confuse Shuey with being soft, would always put his head over the ball and go when it’s his turn.

Explain his GF performance if he was a front runner?

They both had amazing seasons. It's not even worth trying to argue who was better.

Brownlow votes are useless. Tredrea had 19d and 6 goals in Rd 15 in a clear BOG performance and got 1 vote.
3 votes went to Josh Carr with 24d 0 goals.
2 votes went to Jared Schofield with 25d 0 goals.

He also pulled 0 votes for a 15d 7 goal game in Rd 7.

Port power are my least liked eastern states club, but Tredrea was criminally under rated.
Superstar & a much better chf than Riewoldt who was more like a flanker or wing. In fact I thought Loewe was a better chf than Riewoldt

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think in general Riewoldt was considered the better player during those seasons.

It's a tough choice but if I had to choose one during that time it would be Nick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back